Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades where to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 11:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking Upgrades where to start

I have a HPI RSR rtr 3. I am just starting out but want to make the car handle better and go faster. What should I start on? New pipe, motor. I am using the stock tires and wheels.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Default trice_rs4;

Not necessarily in order but;

1) Softer springs for the shocks. HPI #6834 "Yellow" for the Rear and HPI #6835 "Red" for the Front.

2) Better tires will make a tremendous difference at the expense of faster tire wear. If you are racing then tires are a MUST have.

3) The 2spd Transmission will provide better acceleraton and top speed AND your engine will run cooler too. Wait on the Motor and pipe until you absolutely need them (broken, worn out).
Old 01-19-2003, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

the stock wheels and tires are probably crap - they usually are, and they usually come with crap inserts (foam).

Ask around and find out what the good tire/insert combo is for your track/area, pick up a set and start working from there.

That is what I would do first, and then get your springs (or better yet, both at the same time. . .)

If you get a new motor/pipe, you will be upgrading power which will make your situation worse, not better.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

1) I would go ahead and pick up the HPI alu. threaded shocks. Find out the recommended spring rates from racers at your track.

2) Popsracer is right. A 2 speed will give you better accel. and topend, and your motor will run cooler.

3) Tires, tires, tires. Find out the preferred tire/insert setup at your track.

4) You don't need to get a new motor just yet, if you pick up a 2-needle carb, a bigger cooling head, and the smooth mandrel bent aluminum header from the Type SS, that's plenty of power to learn to race with.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Default Not to disagree but....

skibum989;

It is easy to recommend all of these hop-ups to someone but by the time you add up the 2spd, tires, Carb, Head, Shocks and header. You could almost buy the the RS4-3, SS.
I had an HPI RS4 Nitro-2 and easily spent over $750 on hop-ups and changes to make it better/faster so I am reluctant to send someone else down that path.

trice_rs4;

I would add the Header to my list of recommended Hop-ups. Your looking at $30-$40 for a set of Tires/Wheels/inserts. The 2spd is $50+ and the Header is around $15-$25.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

try to spend your time and money on practice and chassis tuning and avoid the urge to spend 3x what the car cost on hopup parts i spent a couple hundred on my hpi rs4 and when i went to sell it wasnt worth much

tune pipe and header gave me the most noticable improvement on my rs4
Old 01-21-2003, 06:28 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

Default Re: Not to disagree but....

Originally posted by popsracer

It is easy to recommend all of these hop-ups to someone but by the time you add up the 2spd, tires, Carb, Head, Shocks and header. You could almost buy the the RS4-3, SS.
I had an HPI RS4 Nitro-2 and easily spent over $750 on hop-ups and changes to make it better/faster so I am reluctant to send someone else down that path.
I have to agree with pops on this one. I have a nrs4-2 rtr with over 1k into it easily...prob abourd 1.3k. I wish now, i would of bought a car that was more capable of doing what i'd like set-up wise. I have everthing need to go really fast....in a strait line. I put all of that and I cant get my nrs4-2(2-speed) how i'd like it because the gear ratios do not fit. The nrs4-3 on the other hand has the screw-on pinions which is really nice. If i ever sell my t-maxx, im getting myself a ntc3 or the mugen m..tx-3 ,well what ever the new mugen triple belt 1/10th tc is called. Id then hop up the heck of what i'd get.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Lightbulb Thank you gentlemen....

Guys;

You all don't know just how much I LOVE my Reflex over the NRS4-2. The RFX is soooo much easier to drive fast, and suspension changes actually make a difference.
I'll tell you what is funny though. I usually finish top 3 in sportman/expert Nitro class and when I run my Super Nitro on the same day. I can usually run about the same lap times with it though it is much more difficult to do so.
Can't wait to try the suspension Mod that I created on the SN this weekend. I have NEVER seen or heard of this done on a Super before. AND it works GREAT on a Nitro-2.

Last edited by popsracer; 01-21-2003 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Default Funny the similarities

TheRagunCajun;

Hey I checked your picture site out and it is really weird how many similarities we have together.
I have some pictures from the High School days doing jumps, etc on Stingray bikes.
We both had/have HPI Nitro's
I made a miniature Piston and Rod at work like yours.
I got a Black and White Cat named "Spots"
Also have a T-Maxx with an OS .15CVRX w/slide carb.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Pops - I got my Rev-up last week. . .took you long enough to send it over here!!!

You going to be at Rev on Sunday?
Old 01-21-2003, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Default You going to be at Rev on Sunday

Boomer;

Going to race at RC Comp on Saturday. (why don't you come on out)
I'll see if the Warden will let me out of the house on Sunday to stop by Rev and say HI.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

jus dont throw away your stock tires even if they suck. If i were you, I would keep them and mount them on a tire if for show just dont glue it. if you want to run it and do donuts or drift like the car action magazine says those tires may come in handy
Old 01-22-2003, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: You going to be at Rev on Sunday

Originally posted by popsracer
Boomer;

Going to race at RC Comp on Saturday. (why don't you come on out)
I'll see if the Warden will let me out of the house on Sunday to stop by Rev and say HI.
RC Comp? What and where dat?

At least come and pop by! All us pan car guys (and I will be one for Sunday) take over the near table. . .faster access to the hot dogs!
Old 01-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

Default pops,

Well, im glad to here i have something in common with someone. Im only 18, so i guess you have a "few" years on me age wise. Im also gald to see you looking at my pictures. I added about $300 more worth of goodies to my nrs4 since the lastest pic in my rs4 #2 album. That home-made chain i have, is from my old departed trx pro .15. lets just say it stalled for the last time and met the cement...over and over and over. That os cvx i have, was a great engine compared to my hpi nitro star SS .15. I tuned the hpi good but it hardley moves the truck, ah well. I like on-road much more.

The only thing is, down here in southern louisiana, we have no tracks. That is why i dont invest in a "race" touring car. I should of done that to start off with but i like my nrs4 even if i cant adjust the suspention how i'd like.

Also, rccraze is right about keeping the stock tires. They arent the best but they get your tc going. I ran my stock rdials till i seen insert chunks flying. I'm sure they would of lasted longer. I guess doing doughnuts so fast my car was a blur with my rb c12 turbo didnt help. I also went threw a set of outdrives cuz of that. Now i use pitsimuzu(spelling), and they are getting on the bad side sadly. My rs4 doesnt do nought nuts anymore.....besides i like grip.

Last edited by TheRagunCajun; 01-22-2003 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

I look at your pictures and theyre really cool.

where did you get the lights?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.