R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #166
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

pics r sent brian. thanx for the info, ill still be there friday night, def not driving 3 hrs sat morn.

also, is there going to be a mws in detroit this year?

thanx
Apl Hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:03 AM   #167
Tech Regular

As far as I know, Detroit is still on the MWS schedule. From what I hear they have already confirmed the race site at Emagine Theatre in Canton (same place as last year). I think they are working out details with Mark Unger. I believe Kevin Bowers is taking charge of the Detroit club activities for Tom Kelley, since Tom is now over seas (Korea) for work.
Brian Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:11 AM   #168
Tech Regular

Apl Head,

Save yourself an expensive Motel room in Chicago and drive over Sat. morning. Buy a couple of extra sets of tires instead.
Much more relaxing and productive doing the Sat. commute. You can be at the track by 8 to 9 AM on Sat. morning with very little issue.

NOTHING good happens by driving thru Chicago traffic on a Friday night, when half the of the people in Chicagoland are trying to leave.

Just thought I would share 20 years of experience.
XPHamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #169
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Berry
As far as I know, Detroit is still on the MWS schedule. From what I hear they have already confirmed the race site at Emagine Theatre in Canton (same place as last year). I think they are working out details with Mark Unger. I believe Kevin Bowers is taking charge of the Detroit club activities for Tom Kelley, since Tom is now over seas (Korea) for work.
ok, cool, keep us posted.

as for traveling to chicago, i think i will still go friday, around noon. i like my sat morn sleep in. lol.
Apl Hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #170
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizby
Does anyone know if the stupid chicane will be in the back stretch again?
Does anyone know?

By the way, I just drove to Chicago a couple of weeks ago, the traffic is worse than ever due to construction. Plan you travel time carefully, there is probably a fifteen minute window of opportunity that is best..

Ted
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #171
Tech Elite

I went that way last weekend. No problem Sat. or Sunday last week. Early morning is a piece of cake. Biggest trouble spot is right around the Ill/IN border, but traffic is normaly light in the mornings on the weekend.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #172
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Traveling

If you plan on coming on Friday afternoon the best time to hit Chicago traffic is before noon. If you can wait till morning to come in on is your best bet. Fridays are the worst day to travel in and out of Chicago. The track isnt going to be ready to practice on till Saturday anyway, at least that is the way it was last year. So I would think save your money and travel late at night. My personal opinion.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:07 AM   #173
Tech Regular

Default Chicago Traffic

Driving thru Chicago on a weekday is just an exercise in bumper to bumper frustration. Especially since I90 in Chicago is now under MAJOR construction. Getting in and out of the city between 7am to 11pm during weekdays is now plain awful. Normally it's a 30mile stretch from the tollway to downtown or let's say the split towards O'Hare. The last time I went through there just two weeks ago it took me nearly three hours.

The only easy time to go is on weekends in the early morning. It's the diffrence between 5 hours from Detroit, and an 8 hour drive on weekdays. I've done this drive many many time over the years. Heed the advice from the road warriors above!!
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #174
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizby
Does anyone know if the stupid cicane will be in the back stretch again?
Unless you want to run into the catch basin and bounce your car like 3 feet above air.............that cicane is there to avoid that catch basin, may be this year they can relocate it somewhere else, I mean relocate the cicane, not the catch basin...
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:43 PM   #175
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Unless you want to run into the catch basin and bounce your car like 3 feet above air.............that cicane is there to avoid that catch basin, may be this year they can relocate it somewhere else, I mean relocate the cicane, not the catch basin...
Rookie, your talking about the DanRyan?
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #176
Tech Elite

There was no chicane the year before, and no problems. Straight was all the way out to the sidewalk curb as I recall.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:20 AM   #177
Tech Champion

Are you 2 coming to Chicago MWS this year...? I know Ron is coming cause he need to setup my car....Tommy, showing up on Sunday around 3pm does not make you a racer..............show up with your RRR and race it.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:38 AM   #178
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
showing up on Sunday around 3pm does not make you a racer...
Man, this coming from Howard? What time did you show up to Byrons race???

HA!
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #179
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
Man, this coming from Howard? What time did you show up to Byrons race???

HA!
I was there 2 minutes right before the 1st qualifier........I have my car, radio, starter box and glow plug lighter and with no practice whatsoever and just race..that was the true definition of "READY TO RUN".....
Old 07-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #180
Tech Regular

Just a friendly reminder for those that have not pre-registered for the MWS race in Chicago to do so. The Chicago club has asked all racers who plan on attending to please pre-register so that they can populate there scoring system with the correct racers information.
Also while on the MWS web site help please help me prepare for the Mentor race and Sponsor appreciation cookout. Pre-registration is really needed, and as soon as possible, to get a feel for how much food and supplies will be required. When pre-registering for the Mentor race a menu will appear to select what you would like to have at the cookout. This will not be used to select you diner, only to get a feel for what will be needed. The cookout will be at the track following Saturday’s racing program. All drivers and their guest are invited. During the cookout over $1,000.00 in door prizes will be handed out.
The Mentor club has new race site this year. It is at Lakeland Community Collage just around the corner from the Great Lakes Mall where they had been racing. The Asphalt is new and smooth with very nice surroundings.

Mark Unger
2006 Midwest Series Director
Mark Unger is offline   Reply With Quote