R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #901
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can see rx mounted on my car here... sorry for the large pic, it's a link.

Dom

Old 01-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #902
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Ice_nl

Nice car, and it looks real nice with the receiver that way. Now i just need to find some bicycle inner tube, what size should i approximately look for?

And in the picture it looks like you mounted your 3th body post on top of the servo screw what is the advantage of this?
Old 01-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #903
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_nl
Nice car, and it looks real nice with the receiver that way. Now i just need to find some bicycle inner tube, what size should i approximately look for?

And in the picture it looks like you mounted your 3th body post on top of the servo screw what is the advantage of this?
Just look for the tube mean to go on a road bike, that should be just fine.

As for the 5th post, I can't take that credit. I was Mike Ellis' idea. To move the post back from it's original position, it now goes thru the windshield instead. The result is a sturdier, less flex windshield and the body doesn't buckle as much and gives a better downforce on the windshield. Als if you flip your car on its lit, the body doesn't collapse as much either. We just saw it as a advantage more than a disadvantage with this setup.

Dom
Old 01-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #904
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another trick that you can do in mounting your receiver is you use a shrink wrap that is used to hold the batteries of receiver packs or any other battery packs...
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #905
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Ice_nl

Ok, now i am just trying to find out how you mounted the screw to the post. Or did you use some threaded rod instead? Want to try it that way as it looks like a great little mod.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #906
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_nl
Ok, now i am just trying to find out how you mounted the screw to the post. Or did you use some threaded rod instead? Want to try it that way as it looks like a great little mod.
Seeing as it's not Dom's car anymore he used a 3mm stud (long screw with the head cut off) and tightened down with a nut, looks like an FK05 front body post. Clever idea.
The new owner, Fred.
Now if it would just stop raining.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:46 AM   #907
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Seeing as it's not Dom's car anymore he used a 3mm stud (long screw with the head cut off) and tightened down with a nut, looks like an FK05 front body post. Clever idea.
The new owner, Fred.
Now if it would just stop raining.
Take a picture of the body post, Fred! BTW Fred, just use a Tamiya wrench to loosen the nut to take the post out.

It's true, Fred is now the proud owner of my 2006 car. Great car, served me very well past summer in dominating fashion.

Dom
Old 01-06-2007, 01:51 AM   #908
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by doki_doki
Another trick that you can do in mounting your receiver is you use a shrink wrap that is used to hold the batteries of receiver packs or any other battery packs...
I used to do that too. Reason I went with the inner tube is because I don't use on/off switch, so when I want to turn the car on I just plug the battery into the receiver. With the inner tube, I can just move the tube out of the way, plug the power in, use the tube to cover up the entire rx again.

And I'm a big fan of ease of maintenance... if I need to swap receiver, or swap crystals at the track, I might not have access to a heat gun to shrink the shrink wrap.

Dom
Old 01-06-2007, 02:55 AM   #909
Tech Addict

i just use double sided tape to hold my reciever in.

hey dom how do you find the GQ tyres?
i run gq too and found they last longer and the rims don't buckle at all. i just wish they had different coloured rims lol
ae_ntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:05 AM   #910
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed-dom
I used to do that too. Reason I went with the inner tube is because I don't use on/off switch, so when I want to turn the car on I just plug the battery into the receiver. With the inner tube, I can just move the tube out of the way, plug the power in, use the tube to cover up the entire rx again.

And I'm a big fan of ease of maintenance... if I need to swap receiver, or swap crystals at the track, I might not have access to a heat gun to shrink the shrink wrap.

Dom
Well, your idea is a very good option as well. And it is also the qickest way to gain access whenever you need to change crystals or plug the battery.. It just looks much cleaner when you use the shrink wrap Jusy my 2 cents
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #911
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae_ntc3
i just use double sided tape to hold my reciever in.

hey dom how do you find the GQ tyres?
i run gq too and found they last longer and the rims don't buckle at all. i just wish they had different coloured rims lol
Absolutely the most underated tires out there. Orange was ok with me definitely, the only problem with GQ I've had so far is to find the right paint scheme to match. Joseph at GQ has been very good to me as well, they definitely helped me out a lot!

Dom
Old 01-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #912
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by doki_doki
It just looks much cleaner when you use the shrink wrap Jusy my 2 cents
Oh absolutely doki, I agree. I just wish someone makes clear inner tube!

Dom
Old 01-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #913
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Do you guys think the evo conversion is a must have for this v-one rrr? Can the average racer tell the difference? If so can anyone tell where would be the best place to get the conversion kit the fastest and at the best price? In the U.S.

Thanks
huskerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:37 AM   #914
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak
Do you guys think the evo conversion is a must have for this v-one rrr? Can the average racer tell the difference? If so can anyone tell where would be the best place to get the conversion kit the fastest and at the best price? In the U.S.

Thanks
Husker, I'm not sure what exactly comes with the conversion kit, so here's my take on it, and I'll try to list what I remember is different and tell you the advantage.

Standup servo/top deck conversion:
It's a lot easier to change the throttle servo now and also easier access to the steering servo ball end. Some worry about the receiver sitting on the side, but then I've driven gas cars like that for years and no problem for me.

Rear camber link adjustment:
More adjustment - good thing

Revised brake cam:
Better angle, more braking power

Revised 2-speed layshaft and brake pulley:
aluminum pulley prevent that from busting, you end up with fwd only and cost you a race! (Trust me, I wish that didn't happen to me at the PNW Fuel Challenge!)

Evolva shock bodies and new springs:
New rates on the new "blue" springs

As for if it matters to the average racer... well, I still consider myself just like the majority of the guys on this forum, an average racer. Personally, I really like the top deck conversion because it's so easier to work on your car and so much easier to clean everything. I also really like the new spring rates.

Now, I don't know where you can get the conversion or how much does it cost. But all the items I'd just touched on are definitely an improvement.

Hope this help with your decision making.

Dom
Old 01-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #915
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak

Thanks
Hey Husker if you have issues finding the conversion kit I have the bulk heads,top deck,brake pulley.all you will need is the main shaft,brake disk,shocks which are easy to find.lmk
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote