R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-27-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default spektrum dsm binding

I have the dx3 dsm.
does changing servos effect the binding?
the reason I ask is because I bought mine used without servos and installed it without doing the binding. everything worked ok except it would shutdown periodically.. today I decided to go through the binding and now everything seems to work flawlessly..
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnetz
I have the dx3 dsm.
does changing servos effect the binding?
the reason I ask is because I bought mine used without servos and installed it without doing the binding. everything worked ok except it would shutdown periodically.. today I decided to go through the binding and now everything seems to work flawlessly..
once you bind the reciever to the module changing a servo shouldnt affect the binding
Old 04-27-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Almost on topic....

The DX3 manual mentions a failsafe mode that can be initialised with the binding process. Trouble is the instructions for doing so aren't at all clear. Can anyone explain the process for me?

Cache Ya,
Craig.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b
once you bind the reciever to the module changing a servo shouldnt affect the binding
I didn't think so either.. but I dont understand why rebinding stopped it from shutting down randomly...
Old 04-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momentum
Almost on topic....

The DX3 manual mentions a failsafe mode that can be initialised with the binding process. Trouble is the instructions for doing so aren't at all clear. Can anyone explain the process for me?

Cache Ya,
Craig.
when you bind the tx to the rx wherever you have the steering and throttle when its turned on is where it goes if the failsafe kicks in.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
Tech Adept

There was an issue with the earlier DSM's. I believe the antenna wire in the receiver needs re-routed under the circuit board. If your radio shuts down until you recycle the receiver, this could be your problem.

Did you set your fail-safe values when you re-bound the system?

When you bind the transmitter, hold the trigger/wheel to the positions you wish. I applied half brake, steering straight. Holding the trigger press the bind button and continue holding until the bind light stops flashing. Now turn off the transmitter and watch as the servos move to the fail-safe position. If it is not what you want, re-bind until you get what you want.
BimmerDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDriver
There was an issue with the earlier DSM's. I believe the antenna wire in the receiver needs re-routed under the circuit board. If your radio shuts down until you recycle the receiver, this could be your problem.

Did you set your fail-safe values when you re-bound the system?
thanks for the info, I'll keep my fingers crossed but havent had any problems since I did the binding.
and yes I did, thats why I did the binding.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. I now have the failsafe mode working as I would expect it to.

My problem was that I was going about the whole binding process the wrong way. Your information plus the manual in front of me finally got it straight.

I just wish I'd managed it when I first bought the radio. My Rx antenna was broken at the PCB from new and the first time my car went out of range (about 30 feet away ) was extremely costly.

Cache ya,
Craig.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:55 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The problem with the old DSM (FM mode radio models), is that the fail safe only engages if the receiver are'nt receiving any signal from transmitter (like low transmitter battery or out of range and signal interference).
But if the receiver battery charge is low the failsafe will not engage which results in run-a-way car.

The new DSM for Futaba (HRS mode), the fail safe engage on all problems (low receiver battery, low transmitter battery or out of range and signal interference) which results in peace of mind. If receiver battery charge goes down to a certain amount of voltage there will still have enough juice to engage the fail safe which allerts you to change or re-charge the receiver battery.

The DSM uses 79 frequencies at 2.4 GHz (microwave frequency) which is seldom causes signal interference. If signal interference occurs you need to rebind the DSM for a free available frequencies if two DSM radio signal are the same. Unlike 75MHz there are only 30 available frequencies. So do the math on chances of signal interference with DSM versus 75 MHz.
FREELANCE_RCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:19 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREELANCE_RCer
The problem with the old DSM (FM mode radio models), is that the fail safe only engages if the receiver are'nt receiving any signal from transmitter (like low transmitter battery or out of range and signal interference).
But if the receiver battery charge is low the failsafe will not engage which results in run-a-way car.

The new DSM for Futaba (HRS mode), the fail safe engage on all problems (low receiver battery, low transmitter battery or out of range and signal interference) which results in peace of mind. If receiver battery charge goes down to a certain amount of voltage there will still have enough juice to engage the fail safe which allerts you to change or re-charge the receiver battery.

The DSM uses 79 frequencies at 2.4 GHz (microwave frequency) which is seldom causes signal interference. If signal interference occurs you need to rebind the DSM for a free available frequencies if two DSM radio signal are the same. Unlike 75MHz there are only 30 available frequencies. So do the math on chances of signal interference with DSM versus 75 MHz.
ok.. this is where I possibly misread on how it works.. I was under the impression that every time you turned on the system it would scan for an open frequency. What you're saying is that it only scans while binding and then uses the same frequency afterward??

this would make sense as to why mine works fine now and didn't before the binding.

but if this is the case wouldn't you want to do the binding everytime your at a race or a new location?
Old 04-28-2006, 04:42 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Adim_X

I believe the system is constantly hopping frequencies. I know that it does not stay on the same frequency once you bind it. The binding process just kinda teaches the radio and receiver a vin code so that they only recognize each other while they are working the spektrum of channels.
Adim_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:45 AM   #12
Tech Regular

I was under the impression that the only time the system will "hop" channels is when it finds one already in use.

Of course I've known to be wrong.....

Cache Ya,
Craig.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

If you're binding the DSM, the green LED (light emitting diode) will flash which means it's searching for available frequency (frequency hopping), and it takes some time (a few seconds) before the transmitter and receiver matches.

If the system continuously hopping frequencies everytime you turned on the system, the green LED should flash and it will take some time before you operate it, but it's not.
FREELANCE_RCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Tech Master

this was taken from the spektrum FAQ.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum-FAQ
Let's say the radio locked on a channel for example ch 78 and I'm playing with my car, what will happen if someone turn on my channel. Will the radio freeze to acquire new channel?
The FCC requires that all Spread Spectrum radios be smart. Upon turning on a system the radio scans for an open channel and when one is found it transmits. This method prevents transmitters from being turned-on on the same channel.
I'm just not sure if this only applies to a situation when the original frequency is found to be in use.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #15
Tech Regular

You don't happen to have a URL for that FAQ do you?

Cache Ya,
Craig.