• 2 Post By BP Vortex
  • 2 Post By TurnNBurn
  • 1 Post By Eddyone

Serpent Viper 990" or "Capricorn lab c804 sl

Old 09-04-2023, 04:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Serpent Viper 990" or "Capricorn lab c804 sl

Hi everyone,
I intend to resume the game with the 1/8 on road and I am very undecided to buy the "Serpent Viper 990" or the "Capricorn lab c804 sl". I would appreciate your advice. Thank you
Old 09-04-2023, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Support

Originally Posted by Eddyone
Hi everyone,
I intend to resume the game with the 1/8 on road and I am very undecided to buy the "Serpent Viper 990" or the "Capricorn lab c804 sl". I would appreciate your advice. Thank you
Welcome back!! As always, go with the brand that you can get the best support. That includes track support from fellow racers and parts availability. All the top cars can be made very competitive in the right hands. Have fun!
davidl and GMartinez like this.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

TeamCarnage has provided good advice for you. The issue right now is that both sources do not have kits in stock. You can get a Serpent 989 that is new, plus the needed spares. I currently have one in the for sale section. If you are looking for differences in performance, they both can get the job done, DeSoto drove a 990 to victory in the Cow Patty Classic last November. The 990/989 Viper has more areas of adjustment than the Capricorn. But the Capricorn has the right flex characteristics in the chassis plate and therefore is very competitive. Good luck with your search and ask more questions if some come to mind.

Last edited by davidl; 09-04-2023 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 12:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll take the Serpent Viper 990 because it's the newer of the two. The Capricorn has been out for a few years now. Is it true that Capricorn parts can also be used on the Viper 990?

TX
Old 09-05-2023, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eddyone
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll take the Serpent Viper 990 because it's the newer of the two. The Capricorn has been out for a few years now. Is it true that Capricorn parts can also be used on the Viper 990?

TX
Some can. Things like the basic screws, the pillow balls, then the rear pulleys and belts. But some of that is not necessary. Make sure you get the weights as options because the car is very, very light. Kit springs are good. The default setup is not bad at all. I recommend you also get the tools to change pinion gears. Extra pinions and spurs are a must. Serpent belts are pretty decent. Only issue I had with belts and pulleys is on the rear. Extra cleaning will extend life. Good luck with that car. It can be very fast.
Old 09-06-2023, 12:09 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the valuable advice
Originally Posted by davidl
Some can. Things like the basic screws, the pillow balls, then the rear pulleys and belts. But some of that is not necessary. Make sure you get the weights as options because the car is very, very light. Kit springs are good. The default setup is not bad at all. I recommend you also get the tools to change pinion gears. Extra pinions and spurs are a must. Serpent belts are pretty decent. Only issue I had with belts and pulleys is on the rear. Extra cleaning will extend life. Good luck with that car. It can be very fast.
davidl likes this.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I think its time you familiarize.youself with the instructions of the cars... and just because one is newer is not necessarily better... the cars get optional parts over time, which helps bring them up to recent findings, or track conditions. And right now the Cap has been holding its own in the EU.
davidl likes this.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:38 AM
Tech Lord

How is the support? Can parts be fast delivered? And are they available. With the Serpent over here people do complain nothing is on stock at the distributor and it seems parts and new options are always first available for certain people.

Not to confuse you but why not Mugen? The car out of the box does not need (even does not know) options beside the normal like gears, springs and belts.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Serpent Viper 990

Old 09-24-2023, 04:55 AM
Tech Rookie

I run the new 990 with the new suspension. I love this car. But anyway there must be a reason why the car is not more so diffused. I get all my stuff from all where I can get it. Till now no problem with getting parts in germany. I choose the Serpent cause I find the capricorn is a bit more expensive.... Both cars are highly competitive. So this can't be the criteria
davidl and Eddyone like this.
Old 09-25-2023, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
How is the support? Can parts be fast delivered? And are they available. With the Serpent over here people do complain nothing is on stock at the distributor and it seems parts and new options are always first available for certain people.

Not to confuse you but why not Mugen? The car out of the box does not need (even does not know) options beside the normal like gears, springs and belts.
Perhaps Iím jaded due to the benefit of having Serpent America very close to me, but I generally get parts ordered directly from them in 2 days max via UPS Ground. Granted, sometimes they wonít have all parts in stock, but the main Serpent website is pretty good about tracking inventory in the US/EU (aside from their own CN stock). On occasion, I will just build a list of parts to get when SA doesnít have them. Serpent CN ships DHL, so it usually arrives in less than a week, but you get what you pay for in terms of the shipping cost - thatís why I usually only order from Serpent CN If I have a decent order built up that I can only get from them at the moment. Even then, Iíll usually check SA one last time, in case they got stock in.
davidl and Eddyone like this.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:26 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks everyone for the advice
davidl likes this.