R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #76
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
What do you think would be a better charger a 3amp or 1amp charger. I think im going to get the supercharger and the battery tender jr. See which works better.
The slower charger is always better. Blasting larger amperage into a battery actually destroys it. If your battery is say a 12v-30Ah, the best charge rate would be about 0.5A over 60hrs or slower from fully flat. 1A over 30hrs would be the max I would charge it at.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #77
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
What do you think would be a better charger a 3amp or 1amp charger. I think im going to get the supercharger and the battery tender jr. See which works better.
Yeah, my boat, bike, skidoo friend mentioned....1.5AMP are pretty high for those little gel cell already........3 amps, he cannot imagine what will happen next...

I believed him....1-1.5 amps are the MOST I would think about. Be carefull.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #78

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Ok. I got the battery tender JR. Thing works great. Everything else is overkill.
I dont know why they sell any other charger along with their 12V batteries. It really makes no sense to me. They are very close in price. Im going to get some banana connects for it and im set.

The tender JR is 700mah charge. Thats what my hanger9 battery charger was. Now my batteries should actually last. Im still going to go and pickup an interstate gel cell. I think that will offer more durability over the hobby batteries , but we will see. Ill let you guys know.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #79
Tech Regular

I'm interested in "how" you'd turn a standard on-road starter box (using 2 stock motors) into a box on steroids with two brushless motors and lipo batteries?

Beyond whether it's needed, just curious in the how.
Darint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #80
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I have dual 4500 stick packs in my mugen box. I never use more than 1000mah in a race or practice day.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #81
Tech Regular

I'm not so concerned with MAH usage, the lipo would effectively solve "power source" issues by reducing weight and providing more than enough voltage and amperage.

I'm likely more interested in how to wire the lipo to the brushless motors. Would it need a regulator, or switching system of some kind?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #82
Tech Master

Darint,
Yes you will require a switching device to provide a rotating magnetic field for the bushless motor so you will need a brushless controller. Considering the work it will be doing a heavy duty brushless controller.

Your up for some $$ just to reduce some weight.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #83
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

got mine at my lhs for $69. will last as long or longer than gel cells. you only need one, so its lighter than stick packs. turns the motors faster and has more torque than nicd or gel cell.
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #84
Tech Regular

So, you'd need something like a brushless controller? What would be used for the switching device? (off/on)
Old 09-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #85
Tech Master

nothing extra needed except some deans plugs. if you look at your box wiring, it has two plugs with a jumper wire connecting the positive on one plug to the negative on the other. all you have to do is convert it to one plug, eliminating the jumper.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:40 AM   #86
Tech Master

sickboy, I am very interested in how you connected up a brushless motor just with Deans plugs (as Darint is talking about).
Old 09-04-2007, 01:02 AM   #87
Tech Master

mis-understood his post..........no brushless, just lipo.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 AM   #88
Tech Master

Darint, for starter boxes stick with the brushed motor. I added 2 30A relays to drive the motor to my box (with the push contact driving the relays). Works great . Great for not burning out the push contact
Old 09-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #89
Tech Regular

Guys, it's not "what to do", but the theory around "how would you" accomplish brushless motors with lipo in a starter box?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #90
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_Nightmare View Post
Darint,
Yes you will require a switching device to provide a rotating magnetic field for the bushless motor so you will need a brushless controller. Considering the work it will be doing a heavy duty brushless controller.

Your up for some $$ just to reduce some weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darint View Post
So, you'd need something like a brushless controller? What would be used for the switching device? (off/on)
Brushless controller - See above.
Switching device - going to depend on the requirements of the controller.