R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-24-2006, 10:27 PM   #31
Tech Master

May do, measure the open circuit voltage from the charger. My guess it will be on the high side.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

OK...too many opinion, but they are all good....

I think most ppl are having the same $15 wall charger like mine from Tower hobby....however, what about a "REAL CHARGER" that charge these Lead-Acid or Lead Calcium Gel cell...? I mean....something bigger, and with a indication light that tells me Charged, Charging or You need a new battery lights on it...?

I knew I search the net before and found one about $100...it has a funny name (super turtle or somekind of animal thing) and it is on EBAY too...now I cannot find it...

One more time....my gel cell is Lead-Calcium...not Lead Acid, but are they are same...? If do I need a charger that charge Lead Calcium only or UNIVERAL will take care of them...?

Many thanks....

P.S....Joe. you did not miss any race....no race in CHICAGO area untill like 3rd week of MAY at least....but we are planning to do some 1/8th engine break in practice run around near where I live (some park's parking lot..) You can unleash your MTX4 with us 1/8th if you want....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #33

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

This is the only one I know of.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLCJ6&P=7

Pretty exspensive to just charge lead acid and gel cell. But it can do it. Im hoping there is something like this out there for 1/4 the cost.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #34
Tech Master

My NiMH / NiCad / SLA / Li-Ion charger cost around $74US (Swallow Advanced).

Rookie Solara, visit this site and use it
http://google.com
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #35
Tech Initiate

here is the one I use, I think it was around $20.00 at wal-mart Works great on gel cells, no complaints at all with it.

Schumacher Battery Companion

Unique automatic battery charger maintains both 6 and 12 volt batteries keeping them at full charge using float-mode monitoring
Perfect for charging small batteries
Great for maintaining small and large batteries kept in storage
1.5 amp charger and maintainer
Automatically switches from Full Charge to Float-Mode Monitoring
"LEDs indicate: Charging, Charged and Trouble
Reverse-polarity protection
Warranty: 2 yr Limited Warranty
ShowMe_Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMe_Mods
here is the one I use, I think it was around $20.00 at wal-mart Works great on gel cells, no complaints at all with it.

Schumacher Battery Companion

Unique automatic battery charger maintains both 6 and 12 volt batteries keeping them at full charge using float-mode monitoring
Perfect for charging small batteries
Great for maintaining small and large batteries kept in storage
1.5 amp charger and maintainer
Automatically switches from Full Charge to Float-Mode Monitoring
"LEDs indicate: Charging, Charged and Trouble
Reverse-polarity protection
Warranty: 2 yr Limited Warranty
Ding ding ding.....I think someone got the right answer...

Thanks...that is exactly what I am looking for.............here I come Walmart...
Just the brand name "Schumacher" already telling me my gel cell starter box is going to have extra 5 HP....LOL.

Thanks everyone........
Old 04-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #37
Tech Champion

Called Schumacher Electronic about that charger....it CANNOT charge my Lead-Calcium Torqmaster Gel cell battery........it can only charge Lead Acid battery...

Still........Lead Acid and Lead Calcium.......2 different things? Or not....when I do the search, apparenty, they are all talked like they are the same thing...with the sealed Gel cell term around them...

If I need gel cell Lead acid batteries........which one has the similar size like the one that I have..? I use the AE starter box for NTC3...need to fit within that box...thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #38
Tech Adept

Rookie, if you have a batteries plus store, you could just take your starter box there and see which battery fits perfect and they will even have the charger for it. Batteries plus store is where I got both items and had the chance to place it into the box for fit at the store. The charger even has a red light for charging and green for maintaining, which means that you could unplug and ready for use. I tried the batteriesplus.com site, but it is under developed to shop online, besides you cant really see which one will work physically.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:03 AM   #39

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

I found one last night that charges and conditions the battery during storage.

http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1229 - $59

That was all I could find. Another good thing I found was interstate batteries makes a starter box gel cell battery. So im thinking these might offer some more reliability. Iam going to buy one today and will let you know if maybe the automotive companies can produce a better compact 12v gel cell.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I found one last night that charges and conditions the battery during storage.

http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1229 - $59

That was all I could find. Another good thing I found was interstate batteries makes a starter box gel cell battery. So im thinking these might offer some more reliability. Iam going to buy one today and will let you know if maybe the automotive companies can produce a better compact 12v gel cell.
Thanks Sooks.......I will have to find one nearby...

AI........take a look at this one, I have a friend that has tons of RC, but also TONS of corvette, RV, Jetski, Snowmobile, Jet boat and stuff..........and he use this charger/maintainer for all his GEL CELL and 12V battery...

Called Battery Tender PLUS..........it said it can charge my lead calcium sealed gel cell.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELTR...34374862QQrdZ1

P.S....I think I should check out your link first...we are both talking about the exact same charger...LOL
Old 04-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i ditched sticks and gels cells altogether, and hooked my box up to a car battery. nothing like 600 cold crank amps to get a motor going

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:51 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014
i ditched sticks and gels cells altogether, and hooked my box up to a car battery. nothing like 600 cold crank amps to get a motor going
I know....when I was at Hamilton last year, after the gel cell died on me, I ended up carrying a 40amps auto-jump start power pack along with the starter box and the cars, radio and tool box and running back and forward from the track to my pit place....no problem with the power, just a little tied after 2-3 practice and qualifiers..........
Old 04-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
I know....when I was at Hamilton last year, after the gel cell died on me, I ended up carrying a 40amps auto-jump start power pack along with the starter box and the cars, radio and tool box and running back and forward from the track to my pit place....no problem with the power, just a little tied after 2-3 practice and qualifiers..........
it is a long way to carry the starter box with a gell cell from the pits to the far side of the track for the start of the mains and

i personally don't know why anybody messes with gell cell. i have 2 trinity sport packs(1500mah) paid 11.99 each. when my motor is broken in they last 2 race days without recharging. they don't need a special charger and they take 30 minutes to recharge at 3 amps. plus they weigh next to nothing compared to the gell cell.
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanaddict
it is a long way to carry the starter box with a gell cell from the pits to the far side of the track for the start of the mains and

i personally don't know why anybody messes with gell cell. i have 2 trinity sport packs(1500mah) paid 11.99 each. when my motor is broken in they last 2 race days without recharging. they don't need a special charger and they take 30 minutes to recharge at 3 amps. plus they weigh next to nothing compared to the gell cell.
Nope...you are totally correct, but I was not just carrying the dead gel cell inside my starter box....also have to carry that 40amps car jumper batteries to start the box............talk about RC with exercise all in 1 weekend.

And yes...I just want to give those 2 gel cell 1 last shot....if not, I have 4 2 years old 3300 mah pro match GP packs that is no good for EP racing but I am sure they are more then powerfull enough for my 2 starter box...plus, LIGHTER...
Old 04-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
you can always take a wheelbarrow , easier to carry