R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-22-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Set-Up System Comparison and Answers

One thing people need to know is that the set-up systems don't eliminate set-up time, they just make it easier. It isn't like - throw the car on the board and voila done in three minutes. Sure, you can if the car was set up properly and you need a quick accurate adjustment. Each setting you correct changes another. Say you have your baseline and want to change your toe, once the toe is changed the camber will change too. I have the PMB acrylic and Hudy aluminum touring car systems. Between these two I had the most difficulty with the PMB. Two of the triangles had play and did not 'flush' on the set up board. The Hudy is a fine piece. I also have the RPM Camber Gauge and don't like it. If there is an imperfection on the sidewall of your tire, the RPM gauge will pick it up giving a false reading. These are opinions of mine.

This is thread started because people (myself included) think this is the end all solution to setting up a car. It works; however, not fool proof. Takes a lot of time. I'd like to hear about the Integy and Team Magic units or their experience with their tools. Maybe a method without a set-up board (RPM Guage, Caliper, etc.)?

PS: Which set-up system/board is used in the Kyosho V1RRR WCE advertisement? It is an acrylic set up board. Very trick looking.

Last edited by performula; 04-22-2006 at 01:39 PM.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #2

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

I have the Integy Setup Station 2 Pro. I like it but have never tried anything else so I cant compare. Id say first timers will take 2-4 times as long setting it up as someone who has the hang of it. But if youve been doing this for years and know your way around the car you can set it up pretty quickly im sure.

I know with me im always doing this "did I get this right thing" and I kinda sit there in a daze....thinking about what might have gone wrong. I then compress and recompress the suspenion a bunch and try to get it to be the same as possible. That is where I eat up a lot of time.

Same goes for droop , im checking and rechecking settings.

Then after all that I verify my camber with an rpm gauge once its all put back together and on wheels that I know are new and never bent.

It really depends on how far I went to check things as well and how correct I want them. If I want to do a perfect job im sure I could go through and take a good hour on setting the car up.

As for the integy. I like how the camber is setup , but at the same time dont. One reason is for the camber to be set u need to be on perfectly flat surface. Then you have to get yourself perfectly in line, otherwise if your too the side the camber can read a good .5 degree off. The other thing is if your adjusting and the table or car is wobbling its hard to see where its going as the camber gauge can swing freely.

Another trouble with the integy is getting it out of its case , same camber part it swings freely and sets in foam so everytime I pull it out it always seems like its going to fall off the sides.

Toe is also kinda funky to read. Just for the simple fact that you never know which way is perfectly straight. If you turn your wheel to the right a little then the toe is off. Once you think you got it straight and lets say you adjust one side a little you might have just messed up a good side. At least this is what im thinking in my mind.

Its definently weird though and Im sure someone will come out with better systems as time goes. But for now. Im not sure if I would go out and get the hudy. Im happy with the integy cause its cheap and seems to be as good. But yeah for the price Id figure Id use it more. But only find myself using it every once in awhile on my cars. To where when I bought it I figured I would be using it all the time.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 04-22-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a integy too, I also try the old Hudy plastic setup tool of my friend, like A.I said , it is hard to know the absolute toe angle of each side for both hudy and integy. in my opinion, these tool are out dated and design mainly for eletric car, why? because I face different troulbe during setup my 710 and G4S.first, the toe rular don't get along with 5th body post on G4, , second the position of pivot ball does not fit the opening on the setup tool. I had hard time to adjust the rear end of 710, also the rear body post don't get along with the toe ruler again, I believe that integy tool and old huday are aimed at eletric touring, not really suitable for current nitro car, I wonder which setup tool out there have taking the 5th body post into account when they design it?
Old 04-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Breaker
I have a integy too, I also try the old Hudy plastic setup tool of my friend, like A.I said , it is hard to know the absolute toe angle of each side for both hudy and integy. in my opinion, these tool are out dated and design mainly for eletric car, why? because I face different troulbe during setup my 710 and G4S.first, the toe rular don't get along with 5th body post on G4, , second the position of pivot ball does not fit the opening on the setup tool. I had hard time to adjust the rear end of 710, also the rear body post don't get along with the toe ruler again, I believe that integy tool and old huday are aimed at eletric touring, not really suitable for current nitro car, I wonder which setup tool out there have taking the 5th body post into account when they design it?
i have a cad (something) purple alloy with plastic toe ruler setup system and fond same problem with 5th body post, but i was watching gk using a new team magic setup system at the nsw titles on a 3r and the design seems to cater for the 5th post plus it has bearings on top for the toe ruler to run on and its not too expensive to buy
Old 04-23-2006, 01:59 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b
i have a cad (something) purple alloy with plastic toe ruler setup system and fond same problem with 5th body post, but i was watching gk using a new team magic setup system at the nsw titles on a 3r and the design seems to cater for the 5th post plus it has bearings on top for the toe ruler to run on and its not too expensive to buy
i also have the team magic setup system and it caters for all the body posts and you can get a 'realistic' ride height with the gauges atached onto the wheels. this is why it does not hit the body posts.
out of 10 i would rate it about 9.5 because the bag that it comes with recquires you to put it together everytime you want to use it.
ae_ntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:54 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to boytoys

I have been using Speedmind's new Universal Setup System ...

boytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:21 AM   #7
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Each system has it's good and bad points. But if you want the best system you can buy then I don't really see how you can go past the new Hudy systems.

The important thing with any system is that your results are repeatable. It doesn't matter if the markings are off as long as if you set Camber / Toe, take the system off and put it back on you get the same reading.

I'm a sucker for good craftsmanship so for me Hudy is the one to have.
B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I would like to here more about the Speedmind
Redvet79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redvet79
I would like to here more about the Speedmind
I didn't know they made them looks just like the Hudy.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:56 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

They look like Hudys and have the feature of the integy with that swing arm to check castor. I have the Hudy for 8th and though it doesn't have that, it's not really hard to read the castor. I use a thick card and or a ruler to measure it. It measures in increments of too.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #11
Tech Adept

The team magic 1/10th system is unique because it swings from the bottom of the brackets instead of from the top. It also has a roller bearing on the bottom that sits on the setup board so the system can move freeley when you are setting it up. This allows the brackets to not drag on the board causing the springs to become loaded giving you a false reading. The system also provides camber readings if your running electric or are working with anti squat in your car.

The 1/8th system is the same except it comes with the ability to use different inserts for the hubs so if your running a serpent today and a mugen or kyosho next month all you need is the 15 dollar inserts to bolt to the gauges to convert it over to any car. No need to buy a new setup system. Very cool.
Motorman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman2
The team magic 1/10th system is unique because it swings from the bottom of the brackets instead of from the top. It also has a roller bearing on the bottom that sits on the setup board so the system can move freeley when you are setting it up. This allows the brackets to not drag on the board causing the springs to become loaded giving you a false reading. The system also provides camber readings if your running electric or are working with anti squat in your car.

The 1/8th system is the same except it comes with the ability to use different inserts for the hubs so if your running a serpent today and a mugen or kyosho next month all you need is the 15 dollar inserts to bolt to the gauges to convert it over to any car. No need to buy a new setup system. Very cool.
Do you have troulble using the setup tool when toe rular was blocked by 5th body post on G4S?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:15 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Breaker
Do you have troulble using the setup tool when toe rular was blocked by 5th body post on G4S?
no its designed with that solution in mind
Old 04-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

itchy is right the toe bar is notched to clear all body posts on the magic system.

Heres a link to the sedan system http://www.teammagic.com.tw/en/profr...6056&pageNum=2

Heres a link to the 1/8th system
http://www.teammagic.com.tw/en/profr...6054&pageNum=1

And the street price won't rip a hole in your wallet either
Old 04-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #15
Tech Master

thanks for the reply, I will consider getting it when I have extra cash