Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree57Likes

Is there a real need for the new 235mm class

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 07:47 AM
Tech Lord

Default Is there a real need for the new 235mm class

I know many old 235mm drivers love to see that class back but in the way that it once was: 2wd with a touring body.
Many years ago there was the ZAC project 220mm conversion and a LeMans type body which never made a true break through..

Infinity started over a year ago with the IF15-W, a 235mm IF15 but still 4wd and a LeMans type body. Last week I did see some pics of a version from Shepherd and I saw on this forum the question when Serpent is coming with such a car/conversion but then I was wondering, is there realy a need for these 1/8GP down scaled cars or are many hoping it can be transferred into the old 2wd 235mm cars?
jasburrito likes this.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

cost wise such as tires, body,.... running a 235mm is not much spending less than 1/8. would it probably because fewer people playing 200mm?
Old 01-28-2023, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Would a 235mm rc car with a tuned .12 be competitive with an 8scale ? Would the extra tire grip traction and enhanced cornering body make up the difference ???
Old 01-28-2023, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
I know many old 235mm drivers love to see that class back but in the way that it once was: 2wd with a touring body.
Many years ago there was the ZAC project 220mm conversion and a LeMans type body which never made a true break through..

Infinity started over a year ago with the IF15-W, a 235mm IF15 but still 4wd and a LeMans type body. Last week I did see some pics of a version from Shepherd and I saw on this forum the question when Serpent is coming with such a car/conversion but then I was wondering, is there realy a need for these 1/8GP down scaled cars or are many hoping it can be transferred into the old 2wd 235mm cars?
Roelof: It does seem to be getting big traction with FB group. When i first heard about it in last few months thought it was being pushed by manufacturers and their sponsored drivers. Having come from 200mm tourer and in last few years having driven only 1/8th scale pan cars, the current tourer class is harder to drive. In Australia we don't have the numbers for another nitro class in my opinion. I would like to see some changes made to current 200mm class to make it easier and more attractive for people. But people don't want issues raised in public or deny is issue to keep everything positive looking. Just feels like is swept under the carpet and just banging head against the wall.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:58 AM
Tech Lord

I know from the 1st start with the 235mm there was a demand for a 4wd in Asia, with the Impact-2 it was possible to get a 4wd version and it gave issues on the 1st worlds where people did not read the rules and showed up with 4wd and LeMans bodies while it needed to be 2wd with a tourer body.
Difficult to drive.... that is for some just the charm of a class
And yes, some things are pushed by teamdrivers and there will always be brand/driver fanboys who will buy it all.

Is it to give the 1/10 tourer a new push to something easier to drive? This class has indeed a low number of drivers and over the yeras I have seen plenty switching over to the 1/8 but I do not think a scaled down 1/8 car will bring them back.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

According to EFRA's statement after the 200mm worlds the 'intention' was to make the cars easier to drive and less expense. I don't see how larger tires and bodies will be less expense. They also stated it would be 4wd with sedan body. There are photos going around of a test sedan body on a 235mm Capricorn car. I ran the old 235 2wd class and thought it was great. When I heard about a new 235 class I was hoping to see the old format return.
davidl likes this.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

We have been running the conversions here in California over the last couple of years and with the loss of so many large tracks, many of us have been buying the IF15W or converting our older 200mm cars to run a premier class at the remaining smaller venues. The new sedan body that has been mentioned does look interesting. At our local large track, the average 1/8 nitro car does mid 14's to high 13sec lap times and a few of us that run the 235mm cars also run similar times. Simply changing the tires and body make a big difference when compared to the 200mm sedans (mid 15's to high 14's). It's probably the most fun I have had in awhile running nitro. So much easier to drive hard and more forgiving for those who don't quite have the delicate feel for 200mm sedan racing. the feel is similar to 1/8 but on a smaller track where the car fits the lane better, Frankly, I'm happy to see the sedan chassis finding a new life by adding more grip. I too ran both the 2wd and 4wd 235mm class back in the day.
davidl likes this.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good laptimes info buddy....Thanks....
Old 01-31-2023, 03:46 AM
Tech Lord

I can understand the idea of wanting a smaller car because of smaller tracks. I have missed the devellopment of a sedan body so that will make the difference a lot compared to the LeMans body. But I still think the old die hard 235mm drivers (and I know from some people around me) still want to see it back in the way that it was, with 2wd.

But the main question will be if it will create more interest for the 1/10 scale class or will the current 1/8 and 1/10 classes lose some drivers and we finally end up with 3 smaller classes.as we also see with electrics where many classes exist due the diversity of cars, motors and speedcontrols. (Touring, pancar, FWD, F1, mod, 13.5T, 17.5T, 21.5T, blinkey etc)
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We struggle to get enough for 200mm now.. Don't see the point in another nitro class unless they ditch one of them, The only real 235 class would be 2wd
nitrodude likes this.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:45 AM
Tech Initiate

I Also don't see how the 235mm class is different from 1/8 GP.

- The car is as fast (top speed wise), thanks to modern .12 engines.
- It has as much grip, because it uses foam tires and Lola-style body.
- It handles the same, because it has a front one-way too.
- It is as expensive, in terms of engine, chassis and tires.
- Size has been mentioned as an advantage in smaller tracks, but I don't see it being a factor. Top speed is equal, and dimensions are approximately 30mm (1 and 1/4'' ) smaller in both track and body length.

Maybe fuel consumption is lower? - I don't know. I never had a .12 engine.

The only use case I see is: someone who is fed up with 1/10th nitro and wants to progress to full on on-road racing. Instead of selling his 1/10th car and buying a 1/8th chassis and engine, he just repurposes his car with a 235mm kit.

Can someone with experience in 235mm class shed some light on this? What am I getting wrong?

Last edited by Oliveirax; 02-02-2023 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oliveirax
I Also don't see how the 235mm class is different from 1/8 GP.

- The car is as fast (top speed wise), thanks to modern .12 engines.
- It has as much grip, because it uses foam tires and Lola-style body.
- It handles the same, because it has a front one-way too.
- It is as expensive, in terms of engine, chassis and tires.
- Size has been mentioned as an advantage in smaller tracks, but I don't see it being a factor. Top speed is equal, and dimensions are approximately 30mm (1 and 1/4'' ) smaller in both track and body length.

Maybe fuel consumption is lower? - I don't know. I never had a .12 engine.

The only use case I see is: someone who is fed up with 1/10th nitro and wants to progress to full on on-road racing. Instead of selling his 1/10th car and buying a 1/8th chassis and engine, he just repurposes his car with a 235mm kit.

Can someone with experience in 235mm class shed some light on this? What am I getting wrong?
The new class they are proposing a touring car not a lola/pan car body like 1/8th. Engine/kit prices between 1/10th & 1/8th are about the same. But for 1/8th bodies and tyres are generally more expensive than current 1/10th 200mm class. Also, i would say when you crash a 1/8th, it is usually broken due to higher speed/weight so that can add to running costs as well.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
The new class they are proposing a touring car not a lola/pan car body like 1/8th. Engine/kit prices between 1/10th & 1/8th are about the same. But for 1/8th bodies and tyres are generally more expensive than current 1/10th 200mm class. Also, i would say when you crash a 1/8th, it is usually broken due to higher speed/weight so that can add to running costs as well.
Interesting! Got any pics of what a 235mm touring car looks like? What about the front diff for that class? Gear, spool or one-way?
Old 02-03-2023, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oliveirax
Interesting! Got any pics of what a 235mm touring car looks like? What about the front diff for that class? Gear, spool or one-way?

One way front, spool rear, same as 1/8
martind1318 and Oliveirax like this.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:27 AM
Tech Lord

Is it me or does that look ugly? a body in length almost the same as the width. Just like many GT bodies are ugly due their far off proportions..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.