How do chassis weights help?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By petersen114

How do chassis weights help?

Old 10-12-2022, 11:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default How do chassis weights help?

Hi, I run Capricorn C03 and am wondering how do chassis weights help? Is it better to shed weight from the car?
Old 10-13-2022, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tc3thatflys7 View Post
Hi, I run Capricorn C03 and am wondering how do chassis weights help? Is it better to shed weight from the car?
It adds weight where you need it to help out with traction and handling performance. Lightening the car with carbon fiber and titanium parts will reduce the weight enough to where you can place the weights where they are needed to achieve the desired effect that the weight is needed for.
sinisterRC likes this.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3thatflys7 View Post
Chassis weights help get the car up to minimum weight.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:31 PM
Tech Lord

With such a question I wonder if the driving skilz are good enough to work on this.

In the F1 every designer would like to have the car underweight so it can place the extra needed weight wher it is needed. Weight helps a bit with the mechanical grip.

But there is more. All the weight above the CG will give a suspension roll in the corners. Taking away weight from above CG like special low weight bodies only available for teamdrivers you can add weight below the CG. That will lower the roll movement. That will result in thinner anti roll bars and a better working independent suspension.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

This season I saw a lot of low rear grip on my Serpent 748 WC while racing 1/10 GP. Stiffening up rear springs along with adding 20gr of weight on front bumper seemed to help with rear breaking loose. So the answer to your question lies within your track conditions and how you want to setup your car.
For some cases you might want to add weight and for other cases you might remove. All in all it depends on your setup.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thank you all
Old 01-11-2023, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

To put things simply... Weights are used as a tuning aid and to maintain minimum weight requirements.