Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Fuel mileage?? >

Fuel mileage??

Fuel mileage??

Old 06-23-2022, 02:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Fuel mileage??

Hi guys, im running a 220mm converted 733 with 2009 353 engine, 2660 pipe and shortest conical manifold. Having a blast, but i could use some more speed, the very fastest touring car guys are about 2 seconds a lap faster than me, 16 versus my 18seconds a lap. One thing ive noticed though is they struggle to make 5 mins on their fuel, running out ocassionally on the cool down lap etc. Hoewever i can easily make minutes maybe even slightly more (i refuel at 6 mins). Anyone any ideas why theyre using so much more fuel? I have removed the venturi restricter and put on the lowest pinions available too.
thanks for any help
Old 06-23-2022, 03:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there any chance you're running slightly lean in an attempt to go as fast as they are, and actually making less power in the process? Aside from that, there are several parameters that could be adjusted inside your engine to improve its power output, but it's not something that can be explained in a how-to list of steps. 2-stroke engine tuning and modification is very much a hands-on, trial-and-error activity.

Also, depending on the track layout, running the smallest pinion gears may not actually make you faster. It depends on whether you're falling behind when accelerating out of corners, or when sprinting down the straightaways.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:36 AM
Tech Elite

running a small pinion will never make a rc faster. running a larger one will. that's basic knowledge.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:41 AM
Tech Lord

Easy....

Back in those days a 5 minite qualfy needed to be reached if you do not want a fuel stop. In the last years thanks to the ENS many organisations switched to a 4 minute qualify with which the engines could be configured (timed) faster.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:20 AM
Tech Rookie

I know using smaller pinions gives less top speed lol, i was doing it cause i thought perhaps i was overgeared before. Ya could be onto something with the timing though. Perhaps i could shim up the liner very very slightly to increase timing and power since i easily make the distance for fuel.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Running smaller pinions will give you less mileage actually. With smaller pinions the engine is at higher RPMs more of the time, using more fuel.
The 2s deficit is probably because they're driving faster than you, and that would makes sense of their fuel mileage. Concentrate on your driving, get a setup that you can drive and just practice. Eventually you will get closer.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fuel mileage is a very complicted issue that will involve all parameters: wind, humidity, body drag coefficient, gas quality/oil content, engine condition/tune, drivetrain weight/efficiency, gear quality, tire size/wear rate/drag, driving positions while racing, trigger finger habits, clutch setup, etc.....The list goes on and on...