R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Engine Cooling Methods (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/109380-engine-cooling-methods.html)

Blazin~ 04-08-2006 07:05 PM

Engine Cooling Methods

Hi everyone, :p

Just wanted to know everyone's opinion on engine cooling, (particularly from the pros) whether cutting holes in the shell is effective or are there better techniques I haven't heard of?

At present, all I have heard of is the "putting cooling holes in your shell" technique. :rolleyes:

Is this method really effective, or is it better not to sacrifice the windscreen and window of a good body?

Cheers to everyone who replies,
Blazin~ :tire:

onnetz 04-08-2006 07:12 PM

I'm not a pro but yes it's effective and necessary..

one hole in the front and two in the rear....

I've heard of people trying some kind of intake on the front of the body but dont know how well it worked.... plus I doubt it would be legal for racing.

Artificial-I 04-08-2006 07:55 PM

60MM Hole in the front windsheild = 2.36inch

Then engine side front window , 2 as large as possible in the rear. I believe its unlimited so you can even cut the whole thing out. But this kinda makes the body less rigid so 2 large holes is normally best.

Blazin~ 04-08-2006 08:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys,
If anyone else has any other ideas/ methods, please tell.

Thanks again,
Blazin~

nigelnuggets 04-08-2006 08:53 PM

attach a fan. :ha:

jp jp. just dont run it too lean now. and yes do cut them holes in the body! make sure your running the proper gearing. and expect engine temperatures to be higher when running for extended periods of time. depending on the motor, you can run temperatures anywhere from about 200degress Farhenheit to about 235degrees safely. remmber this is depending on the motor.

good luck!

rocca30 04-08-2006 08:53 PM

50 mm if your raceing roar in the front windsheild

SUNA 04-08-2006 11:13 PM

Take a body reamer...put it in your drill...drill holes into the body. I never did like the look of the 3 inch hole. I create more...smaller holes.

Artificial-I 04-09-2006 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by rocca30

6.1.13 Cooling holes: Bodies for on-road fuel-powered cars (other than touring vehicle bodies)
may have up to 1/3 of the windshield cut out. Bodies used on off-road fuel-powered cars
may have up to 1/2 the windshield cut out. For touring vehicle windshields, one cooling
opening is permitted, limited to a maximum of 60mm in any direction.

6.1.8: All molded-in windows must be clearly identified. Side and rear windows may be cut out
unless otherwise stated in class rules or specifications. Open windshields are not allowed,
except for holes defined in the relevant class rules or specifications. A sunshade band at
the top of the windshield is permitted.

maskedrider 04-09-2006 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
attach a fan. :ha:

jp jp. just dont run it too lean now. and yes do cut them holes in the body! make sure your running the proper gearing. and expect engine temperatures to be higher when running for extended periods of time. depending on the motor, you can run temperatures anywhere from about 200degress Farhenheit to about 235degrees safely. remmber this is depending on the motor.

good luck!

and also depend on the weather as well.... my country weather temp. adverage is around 32 degree for the whole 365 days!! :cry:

Scott Fisher 04-09-2006 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by rocca30

As Artificial I showed, roar has changed the rules to allow a 60mm cooling hole now.

Suna: There have been some people that have done wind tunnel testing and all have concluded that a bunch of small holes are a lot less effective for airflow than a single larger hole.

Blazin~ 04-10-2006 09:03 PM

Cheers fellas,
Thanks for the great response to this thread!
:D
Blazin~

Ducati-Rider 04-11-2006 11:00 AM

Side Windows cut outs

I use a tire to trace the front and rear holes - nobody measures or cares where I run.....and that's about the right size

NASA and NASCAR have proven the rear hole needs to be at least 2X the area of the front to get good air flow to exit.

You want it blowing out the top of the body, not out the lower rear.

I open up my side windows with a dremel making sure the corners are round and not square.........square corners cause cracks everytime, so do some artsy dremel work and keep them rounded.

The side openings make a 20f degree difference in cooling coming off the track.

And you can pick up the car easier - like a bowling ball!