R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-20-2002, 10:49 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
By AMGracer: I have not had any HPI junk for over 2 years
I do admit that HPI's are MUCH harder to find a set-up for than most other cars. I still have 3 HPI's out of 8 cars, but my Nitro 1/10th is now a Reflex NT. I believe that HPI's are fine up to the middle levels of Sportsman. Any higher level and they become a hinderance to improving ones driving skills.

AMGracer;

Have you tried Sorex 36R's on a slightly dusty surface? They work even better than the Yokomo's for me. Yea, and Foams do need a perfectly clean surface to work properly. Otherwise rubber tires are the way to go.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-20-2002 at 11:00 AM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 05:03 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
I do admit that HPI's are MUCH harder to find a set-up for than most other cars. I still have 3 HPI's out of 8 cars, but my Nitro 1/10th is now a Reflex NT. I believe that HPI's are fine up to the middle levels of Sportsman. Any higher level and they become a hinderance to improving ones driving skills.

AMGracer;

Have you tried Sorex 36R's on a slightly dusty surface? They work even better than the Yokomo's for me. Yea, and Foams do need a perfectly clean surface to work properly. Otherwise rubber tires are the way to go.
Yeah I am kinda anti HPI, but my main reason is that I had a Racer 2. This was supposed to be a full optioned racecar according to their marketing department, but I ended up sinking like $400 in option parts to strengthen the car and drivetrain to make it survive a 10 minute main. The outdrives chunked every 2 meets under the "awesome" power of my CX12 and when I get the strengthened ones they were the same junk just plated. I had so much frustration and failures which were linked to poor design and HPI never admitted it or changed the design.

The yokomos I tried were about 2 years ago, before Sorex really took off over here. Now I find Sorex are the ticket, totally agree.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 08:20 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Default Chunking out-drives

AMGRacer

Yea, I kinda got that way too for awhile. Until I saw my Super Nitro laps were as fast as my 1/10 laps. I most always finish top 3 when I race. Sportsman [rubber], Expert [foams] so I know those are fast laps. Most of the time I race Sportsman with rubber tires and my laps are better than the guys running foams in the Expert class. What I'm trying to say that, after taking a second look, HPI wasn't so bad after all.

I never had the out-drive problem that you described. Have seen it mentioned MANY times in the Off-Road forums. I never run mine dry, always use a drop of Teflon lube where the Bone meets the Cups. Really stops the Drive cup failures/wear and works on any car, on or off-road.

Good racing
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote