R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-17-2002, 02:28 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default first nitro car

Well i will be buying a nitro car soon and was just wondering what is a good car for an intermediate nitro racer I was thinking one of these:

1. HPI rs4 3 rtr
2. HPI rs4 3 type SS
3. Associated nitro TC3

What do you recommend for ease of use, and performance? How hard is a nitro car to build, ive built electric, but never nitro. I think the rs4 3 rtr is the best deal at 239.99, and it has an average speed (around 35-40) i heard, wheras the type SS can go 50 bone stock, with the right gearing. I don't know much about the TC3 but i know the electric TC3 is top notch. I will be racing with friends at the track, but never anything very, very serious. What do you guys think?
rcracer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 03:40 PM   #2
Tech Master

I would recommend the Yokomo GT4RTR as a good all round first car. Its is miles better than any of the HPI RTRs and is a lot stronger than the NTC3 RTR.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 03:48 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Racer you could also look for a cherry MTX2, it is a good car tough and should be easy to get as its replacement the MTX3 is out. Its tough and cheap to run. Plenty of parts will be available for quite a while as they are still making Prime 12 parts and that is old.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:02 PM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish

Couldn't agree more with Motorman. Go for MTX-3, and you'll never be sorry.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 05:18 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

isn't mtx-3 a 1/8 scale car? i was looking for 1/10, sorry i didnt put that.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:19 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

how fast will an mtx-3 go? estimated?
Old 12-17-2002, 06:08 PM   #7
Tech Chat Moderator

The speed of a 1/8 car depends on gearing and set-up just like any other car. They are by no means bashers and play cars. They are ment to be raced on a very clean 1/8 track. Since your a newbie, consider the hpi nrs4 3 rtr or ntc3 rtr. The hpi fe.15 has only 1 needle besides the idle screw which is much more easy to tune. Check at your local hobby shops to see what parts they stock. If you like building stuff you might want the hpi SS kit or the ntc3 kit. With a kit you'll need and engine and electronics. Make sure you read as much as you can about all the cars you are thinking about getting. you might want to go to your local race track if you have one to see what everybody is running. You can ask them things too.
---> the pic below is a picture of my nrs4 2 rtr. As you can see, even a RTR car can be hoped up to your liking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stsmt12-nrs4.jpg (77.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 12-17-2002, 06:27 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

I would not recommend the hpi cars. A few friends have them and they seem to break alot of stuff. My ntc3 on the other hand has broken NOTHING! We all bought our cars at the same time. My car is also much faster.
Twist 2 Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:27 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to JusDamFast Send a message via AIM to JusDamFast Send a message via Yahoo to JusDamFast

Personally if I could start all over I would go with the Yokomo GT4 RTR. Its the fastest Ready to Run(RTR) available to date and it can handle better than most if not all RTR's. LOX(living of xperience), theres nothing worse than having a one deminsional car, good on straights, but dont turn worth a damn or turns like heads when jlo walks by, but slow as hell. But if you want a car just to sit there and look pretty with all aluminum and carbon graphite parts by all means go HPI, but beware you'll be all hopped up with no where to go. Yokomo GT4 RTR, best of both worlds......."and thats all I have to say about that!"
JusDamFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:28 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

racer,

Motorman was suggesting you look into an MTX-2, since the newer MTX-3 is now avaliable.

No the MTX-3 is not 1/8th, its 1/10th, you are thinking of the
MRX-3.

Do not get an MTX-3 as a first car. It's a pro car and you would want something you can grow into but at the same time is not going to overwhelm you.

Personally I would say a Yokomo GT4 RTR is the best bet. Modeller was right when he said its probably the all around best car as far as a beginners car goes. It is tough and you can grow into it. Eventually you can upgrade it to the full pro or S spec and be competitive with everything else.
freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:40 PM   #11
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by rcracer123
how fast will an mtx-3 go? estimated?
typical question from newbie and it is danger for your wallet too.

It is the set up of a car and the skill to make you fast. not the car itself.

you should learn how to drive slow first before you go fast.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:47 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
typical question from newbie and it is danger for your wallet too.

It is the set up of a car and the skill to make you fast. not the car itself.

you should learn how to drive slow first before you go fast.
I agree with that. A baby cant run before it walks and it cant walk before it crawls. I've seen to many newbies look at myself and the other top drivers at out club and think that they can do the same. Before they know it they try to race with you and when you go to pass on a slow corner at twice their speed they panic and take out both cars. But when you think about we all did that. . Just get a good solid car and learn to drive it before you start thinking your Michael Schumacher. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 01:47 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

go buy a V-One S
They absolutely rock

But out of the 3 u picked, i'd take NTC3, heaps of people say on these forums that they suck and break, but i know 2 people who run at my local track, i talk to them heaps on MSN and they havent broken a thing, and there is about 3 or 4 other cars there.

So go NTC3, since HPI=Horrible products inside
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 07:41 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by rcracer123
isn't mtx-3 a 1/8 scale car? i was looking for 1/10, sorry i didnt put that.
MTX-3 is 1/10
MRX-3 is 1/8
MSX-3 is 1/10

Old 12-18-2002, 07:44 AM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by V-One S
go buy a V-One S
They absolutely rock

But out of the 3 u picked, i'd take NTC3, heaps of people say on these forums that they suck and break, but i know 2 people who run at my local track, i talk to them heaps on MSN and they havent broken a thing, and there is about 3 or 4 other cars there.

So go NTC3, since HPI=Horrible products inside
Couldn't go wrong with NTC3 When they're fast, they're fast. Broken parts? Well, most likely you lhs will carry them.