R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Default Curious If I Made A Wise Decision.

Hey Guys, I just recently bought a "Smartech" Celica off of ebay. I've played around with it and it really ain't bad for what I paid, but still wondering if it was a good investment ? and if not how i could make it better, and even if it was how i could make it better lol. I paid $120US.

I already have plans for it but i was seeing what others think before I go ahead with anything.

Thanks in advanced
Inebriation Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Chris West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 427
Send a message via MSN to Chris West
Default

id use that as a test/play car just to get used to driving a rc car, i wouldn't spend any money on it though as you wont get anywhere if you do. if you like playing around with it and want to get into racing i suggest you get a second hand "race-car" like a MTX-3 ,RRR or 710 IF you want to get into racing.


Chris
__________________
MUGEN SEIKI | NINJA | SANWA
Chris West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:03 AM   #3
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Default

I was thinking of putting a new body on it for start, and i found this one.


I was also thinking of putting a new exhaust on as well. Not so much for performance but to have that nice appeal lol. I really don't want to spend the money that it costs for that, so I was wondering if it were a good idea to make my own or if that would screw it up.


I'll admit for what i paid for that car it hauls. I'd say off the top of my head it probably does about 50mph or so. I haven't been able to open it right up yet due to not finding a really smooth long stretch to do it. i have gotten it going pretty damn good though.

I was also thinking of throwing a K&N Filter on, due to the crappy foam one i have, I don't even run my car with it at the time due to it being all nasty lol.
Inebriation Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
maskedrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MP9 is here ...stay tune !
Posts: 2,039
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris West
id use that as a test/play car just to get used to driving a rc car, i wouldn't spend any money on it though as you wont get anywhere if you do. if you like playing around with it and want to get into racing i suggest you get a second hand "race-car" like a MTX-3 ,RRR or 710 IF you want to get into racing.


Chris
agree....
__________________
Kyosho- Sirio/ OS engine- AVID bearing- Blue thunder fuel- Proline- RC dynamite- Sanwa- RC Art
maskedrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:13 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Riketsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,514
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriation Inc
I was thinking of putting a new body on it for start, and i found this one.


I was also thinking of putting a new exhaust on as well. Not so much for performance but to have that nice appeal lol. I really don't want to spend the money that it costs for that, so I was wondering if it were a good idea to make my own or if that would screw it up.


I'll admit for what i paid for that car it hauls. I'd say off the top of my head it probably does about 50mph or so. I haven't been able to open it right up yet due to not finding a really smooth long stretch to do it. i have gotten it going pretty damn good though.

I was also thinking of throwing a K&N Filter on, due to the crappy foam one i have, I don't even run my car with it at the time due to it being all nasty lol.
The worst thing you can do is not run the air filter with your engine. This means debris and dust will get inside and scratch the piston, sleeve and other internals. Problem with buying these types of car off eBay is that you cannot find parts or its very hard to. Its basicly like going to radio shack and buying an electric rc which you know if it breaks it goes to the trash. Anyways, have fun with the car and try to squeeze those 120 bucks as much as you can.
__________________
eBay user id: riketsukirai
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
fritzD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cebu City, Philippines
Posts: 1,136
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fritzD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu
The worst thing you can do is not run the air filter with your engine. This means debris and dust will get inside and scratch the piston, sleeve and other internals. Problem with buying these types of car off eBay is that you cannot find parts or its very hard to. Its basicly like going to radio shack and buying an electric rc which you know if it breaks it goes to the trash. Anyways, have fun with the car and try to squeeze those 120 bucks as much as you can.
yes, indeed.... at first runnin w/o an air filter seems fine but later your engine will get trashed... dont spend too much on that,,, just play with it... once your ready, you can get a real car such as the RRR, mtx3, mtx3, serpent 710, TM g4s, hobao gpx4, etc...
fritzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Moderator
 
Artificial-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rurouni Kenshin
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I
Default

Kiss that engine goodbye. Litteraly one time for 5 minutes and that motor is probably out the door.

If you want to see it run longer than 2 more runs. You should never run it again. Until you take the motor completely apart and clean it completely. Youll probably find a good amount of sand or dirt embedded in certain areas and waiting in line to jump into a moving part or area.

After that , go easy on the thing , always run an air filter. This isnt a car where you can run no filter for a little....they have the chassis thats very sealed to protect an air fitler.

An rc car has a floor with holes in it, no wheel wells (big big big helper). So dirt is pretty much flying all over the car with one quick circle in your driveway you can find it completely covered.

Also K&N filters suck for RC and really real car world as well. Have you seen the tests lately they dont filter well at all...they just flow it well.

A foam filter will perform the same and will keep dirt out. Think about a k&n , all it is is a wire mesh and paper slotted. Thats about .2 filter where a foam is like 1inch think. The sand/dirt has a lot more to go through.

Also dont waste any money on that car...it wont help thing and your tossing it on something that could be used towards your new car. Trust me , theres even newer cars that Ive done the same with.

Use money only on a car you race with to win. Otherwise just fix or upgrade as parts break on your old cars. Simple ideal , but very effective budget wise if you ask me. Im sure some people will chime in on upgrading old/non competitive cars. Only upgrade when you break something....and normally thats the best time to do it due to the stock part being weak in some way. But you also gotta ask yourself was it a weak part or you hitting the curb in a slide at 50mph. Otherwise if your driving is bad , you should stick with cheap cause its all going to break , stronger or not.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prime Time Off-road track clock-wise MrZero Georgia Racing 7 04-14-2007 06:59 PM
Words from the wise KrayZFrameRate Electric On-Road 7 05-22-2006 09:59 AM
i finally made my decision takwing Electric Off-Road 7 03-12-2005 08:21 PM
(Price-wise) is this a good deal? AttackDonut Nitro On-Road 5 11-12-2004 10:26 AM
Made the Decision, Thanks Cooter13 Rookie Zone 21 12-13-2003 12:19 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:26 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net