R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-21-2006, 01:39 AM   #1141
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You didn't mention what diff oil you got but you can go a little lighter in the rear to help rear traction. Also add a little bit more toe in to help the car track straight. You went with 1-hole piston in the rear so I assume you left the front 3-hole. Try going the other way around with stiffer front setting (i.e. 2-hole front, 1-hole rear). Hope this helps .
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:29 AM   #1142
Tech Adept

Default Pivot Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentpro28
Hey bro' i had the same problem serpent make that plastic lower arm too soft and the pivot ball is small,but i fixed mine by using pivot ball from mugenmtx3 pivot ball,it is little bit bigger than serpent and have a good tread,im not lucky this weekend at the Great lakes coz' the serpent team does not have parts for it,so it end up running my mugen.
Hi serpentpro28

Did you try the Mugen pivot balls? Did it sort out your problem?

I tried the thread tape and took the car out this weekend. The tread tape helped allot but still had the same problem - but not as bad as before.

Let me know if the Mugen pivot balls sorted the problem out as we have allot of tracks with pipes on the side - so, if you rub the side of the wheel against the pipes with the car - your toe in will change

Acid
Acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:07 AM   #1143
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfree_z
I have done some testing with my 720 yesterday and found that the rear end is very loose for me. I have changed the following from default setup, rear shocks 1.hole, rear roll center is on bottom, no roll bar at all. I'm using 40 outer rear and 37 inner rear tyre, fronts are 40. Any suggestions? Perhaps I can use harder front or softer rear tyres but the fronts wear a little more now and it gets not better. Has anyone try 21t side pulley with 720? I think using 22T 2sp side pulley has the same affect with the 21t mid side pulley, any comment?
deepfree_z

I had the same problem with the back being loose. I changed the diff oil - 120000 in front and 30000 in rear. Think I am gonna change to 20000 rear diff oil.

Softer tyres in rear and harder shock oil - left the rear shock with 3 holes. I am using the 21T pulley - and it works like a charm. I have the same drive as the Mugens, if not better

Also, I find the 720 to be better with a softer setup. Try raising your rear roll center and shock positions... hope this helps...

Acid
Old 08-21-2006, 03:13 AM   #1144
Tech Adept

Default Tyre Information

Hi All

I have a question regrading tyres....

I have never used a tyre truer and now I think it is time start

Before I do, there is one question that I have...

If you tru your tyres with a 2 degree angle and you set your camber on the car to 2 degrees, does this mean you are running 4 degrees camber?

If your answer to the above is no, which I think it is, what is the benefit of truing your tyres with angles?

Thanks

Acid
Old 08-21-2006, 03:35 AM   #1145
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Qlone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
If you tru your tyres with a 2 degree angle and you set your camber on the car to 2 degrees, does this mean you are running 4 degrees camber?

If your answer to the above is no, which I think it is, what is the benefit of truing your tyres with angles?
The answer is 'no'. You will notice that when you drive, your tyres wear to s slight conical shape. It is only when they have that shape that they offer the best grip on the track. If you take a new set of tyres and make them conical using the truer, you will have excellent traction right away, and don't have to do a few laps to break in the tyres.
Qlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:43 AM   #1146
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran the 720 on a smaller tight track this weekend. I had a little stepping out in the rear ( loose ) issue.
I solved the issue By changing the rear droop ( i was running 7 & went to 6 & raising my front bump stops. This was just something I wanted to try out & it work great. The car rotated very nicely without stepping out. Hope this helps.
1FastSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:58 AM   #1147
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlone
The answer is 'no'. You will notice that when you drive, your tyres wear to s slight conical shape. It is only when they have that shape that they offer the best grip on the track. If you take a new set of tyres and make them conical using the truer, you will have excellent traction right away, and don't have to do a few laps to break in the tyres.
Thanks Qlone.

So, you should tru the tyres with a slight conical shape for better grip but you should still setup your car like normal. So, if you running 4 degrees camber in the rear - you should still set the camber to 4 degrees

Thanks

Acid
Old 08-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #1148
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thanks Qlone.

So, you should tru the tyres with a slight conical shape for better grip but you should still setup your car like normal. So, if you running 4 degrees camber in the rear - you should still set the camber to 4 degrees

Thanks

Acid
What he's saying is that when you have, let's say 3 degrees camber, and your tires are trued flat, the angle is only going to allow the very inner part of the tire to touch the ground. When you true your tires at an angle with the same camber, the wheel will still be angled at three degrees, but the tire will be flat on the ground.
Luke W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #1149
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Luke what happened to you on Sunday?
1FastSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #1150
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by asil
720 rocks again !!! Congrat to Serpent team..btw I have the same problem with my RCC shocks; crossthread! I manufactured that bottom threaded part from metal and it's perfect now. Pictures;
LOOKS NICE
Old 08-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #1151
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi serpentpro28

Did you try the Mugen pivot balls? Did it sort out your problem?

I tried the thread tape and took the car out this weekend. The tread tape helped allot but still had the same problem - but not as bad as before.

Let me know if the Mugen pivot balls sorted the problem out as we have allot of tracks with pipes on the side - so, if you rub the side of the wheel against the pipes with the car - your toe in will change

Acid
The Mugen Pivot Balls work like a charm. It hurt to put them on the 720 but I can't afford to lose my Toe setting in the middle of a race.
need-4-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM   #1152
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-4-speed
The Mugen Pivot Balls work like a charm. It hurt to put them on the 720 but I can't afford to lose my Toe setting in the middle of a race.
REAR LOWER ARMS
The rear arm is now corrected. The inner inside hole has now more material (hard to see at first look) So, no need to find any special pivot ball.
If you had a problem with the arm and your are located in USA, please e-mail us at [email protected] and we will take care of you.

Thanks for supporting our products

Paolo Morganti
Serpent USA

Last edited by Paolo M; 08-22-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Paolo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #1153
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

WOW! Customer Service at its BEST!
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:31 PM   #1154
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to asil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Gutierrez
WOW! Customer Service at its BEST!
YES! Serpent is the best for it's superior products and after sales !!!
asil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:04 AM   #1155
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to _cyclops_

Customer service was also available at the Euro's.
All serpent 720 drivers got a set of arms and decal set there...
_cyclops_ is offline   Reply With Quote