Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

At the SA Nationals they allow up to 205mm, I think, due to the toe in effects.
Acid,

Post a picture of your car please. I was at the race as a spectator. Got the whole 200mm final on VCR. From start to stop. And restart to end. Was a good race between serpent and Mugen.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ProE
Acid,

I was at the race as a spectator. Got the whole 200mm final on VCR. From start to stop.
Can you post a movie of it?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Last edited by michael 1; 08-07-2006 at 08:34 AM. Reason: 2nd copy
Old 08-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Tech Regular

had the 720 out this weekend, short track, made of 2x4 very hard on cars

very tight and bumpy. used stock set up in practice. went to yellow springs

all around this gave the car better balance, for the bumps i added toe in the

rear and went to the spool up front. 1st qual. 5 th overall (top to 5th separated 7 sec.) 2nd ran into parked car in sweeper broke front bumper
that ended the day. this is a great car easy to drive big sweet spot in
setup
Old 08-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ProE
Acid,

Post a picture of your car please. I was at the race as a spectator. Got the whole 200mm final on VCR. From start to stop. And restart to end. Was a good race between serpent and Mugen.
Well... hi there fellow Soth African

Pls post the VCR if you can.. would be good to see... the VCR will also show all the guys on this forum the track layout and how the Serpent 720 WON... also, the few rear end moments - as Mikey had a few moments there

Will try... but to help you now... It was the red Alpha with the bright yellow spoiler... the one that was all over the place ... which is setup driven, as I was trying a new setup with every qualifier.

Sometimes, it is better to go with what you know rather than try funky stuff

Acid
Old 08-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

All these talks of videos ... I just posted a video showing the first National level race for the 720 in the UK.

ProE, PM for you ...
Old 08-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation

Well... here's a new one for you:

My exhaust pipe, let's say it leaks a bit now.
Here's the story: I was helping a friend with his car. He was having issues all day and was getting a bit frustrated. His engine would not run properly; it was either overheating or not performing at all. Compression in the engine is fine, fuel is fine, leaky front bearing is a problem but not big enough to not drive the car (as long as I don't have to clean it up)... The exhaust pipe though looks like it's been through at least three world wars and two extinction level events; pretty bad. So, I offer to borrow my spare exhaust, providing I get it back in one piece. Well, it came back in one piece, but not quite in the shape in which I gave it to him. The retaining spring at the front of the exhaust broke, so the pipe dragged over the track for several laps, there were a few dents in it, and the stinger pointed downward...
So, I put it in the freezer for a night, and now it has burst on the spot were it has been dragging over the track.

Is it possible to fix this? I don't want to ask my friend for a new pipe since it wasn't new and I guess I should have known better, but I'm not really happy with the current situation either...
Old 08-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

JB Weld if you can get it over there. Its a metalized epoxy. It works great. Ive seen guys here build reinforcements for thier stingers like they do on 1/8 offroad pipes
Old 08-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by deepfree_z
I have the same problem with you Qlone, I can't go in to the corners as I did with my 710 before. I'm using 40 front,40 rear gq's, I will try a softer front tire.

Shorten your front Track Width or put 710 front lower arms on. You could also go to 42s on the rear. These options will help the car to turn in.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by thunderbt3
JB Weld if you can get it over there. Its a metalized epoxy. It works great. Ive seen guys here build reinforcements for thier stingers like they do on 1/8 offroad pipes
I used this Aluminum solder in all my pipes as soon as they are install new, this way if they get hit the don brake.

I use QuikAluminum
http://polymericsystems.com/SuppliersQuikAluminum.htm

http://www.woodfinisherssource.com/c...cific=jolmink0

RCPANAMA
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Epoxy.doc (187.5 KB, 167 views)
Old 08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

the VCR will also show all the guys on this forum the track layout and how the Serpent 720 WON... also, the few rear end moments - as Mikey had a few moments there
I think that he won with a 710 and not a 720. The program and intro to the final mentions that he is using a 710. Which is a bit hard to believe, as they are the distributors for serpent in South Africa.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

I've just finished capturing the video of our national event in Durban, South Africa. Im uploading the whole movie to Google movies now. I will post the link tomorrow when the upload is done.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Default rear lower pivot ball problem

Originally Posted by Acid
Hi Guys

I took the 720 for its first competition run and the car is good but had the follwoing problems.

1. The rear of the car is loose - allot of the 720 drivers experienced the same problem - track only has hairpin bends - everyone said the same thing, the back doesn't follow the front. But still the car was easier to drive then the 710.

2. The rear lower wishbone - with two pivot balls is very weak - if you toutch the rear side of the car against the track piping - it pushes the rear pivot balls further in - I started with 3 toe in at rear and the slightest toutch at the rear and I was running 3 toe out. I wanted to try thread tape over the pivot balls but i did not get a chance too.

But, just so that all of you know, the winner at the Soth African Nationals in Durban this weekend was a Serpent 720.

Really not sure why the back of this car is so loose.... any ideas? I figure its the diff oils - the standard 50000 F and 30000 R doesn't work on a hairpin track. Thinking more like 100000 in the front and 10000 or 20000 in the rear.

Acid
Hey bro' i had the same problem serpent make that plastic lower arm too soft and the pivot ball is small,but i fixed mine by using pivot ball from mugenmtx3 pivot ball,it is little bit bigger than serpent and have a good tread,im not lucky this weekend at the Great lakes coz' the serpent team does not have parts for it,so it end up running my mugen.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Acid:

I refer to the pivot ball screwing in due to side impact. besides that a broken wish bone but I finished any way
Old 08-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

For those having rear grip issues on bumpy tracks with hairpins, try 10000 rear diff oil & lay the shocks right over. I had issues until I did this & the rear is fine now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.