R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #586
Tech Initiate

Yihaa! I'm building as we speak :-) I'm missing the springs in my kit though, so I guess i won't be racing tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent 720-serpent-720-007.jpg  
espeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #587
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
Hi

Sow&Seedy, you right... I mean't race and win fair and square...

Thanks for the clips, very enjoyable. The car looks very impressive on the track and I can't wait to hear more from Qlone.. when he gets there this weekend.
Glad you enjoyed the clips and looking forward to some build tips. Mine haven't arrive at the doorstep despite my best efforts so .... muahahahaaa!

Quote:
Hope the feedback is good...

Question: does the kit come with a flywheel? Will the 710 flywheel work with this kit?
It should come with the kit and yes, the 710 one fits. At least this is what I saw on the factory drivers' cars.

Quote:
Also, a guy said to me that when you get a new kit, its not a bad idea to take all the plastic parts and boil them in hot water for a few minutes and then let the parts cool down. He said that it helps the plastic parts to "settle in" better.

Have any of you tried or heard of something like this?

Acid
I have heard this but not for the same reason. 1 main reason I've heard people boil their plastic parts first is apparently this makes the plastics less brittle for those who race in cold climates. I've never done it, never felt I needed to.

As for helping the plastic parts "settle down" ... does not make sense to me because from what I've heard, Serpent (and other manufacturers) do some precise pre-shape to ensure that after moulding, as the plastic parts cool down they go into the correct, exact shape.

Last edited by Sow&Steady; 07-12-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #588
Tech Regular

Quote:

Also, a guy said to me that when you get a new kit, its not a bad idea to take all the plastic parts and boil them in hot water for a few minutes and then let the parts cool down. He said that it helps the plastic parts to "settle in" better.

Acid
I've heard and tried this back in my 1/8th buggy days (MP 7.5 KII). First thing that happens is the grease comes off so don't use a good pot. As for the parts being more flexible, hard to say. The KII was a pretty tough buggy without doing anything to the plastic. Not sure boiling helped.

I hear the 720 plastic is pretty tough. I don't know about the past but I hear plastic for a lot of RC vehicles these days is GFRP (glass fibre reinforced plastic). One manufacturer had told me the move in the industry was away from ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadien Styrene) to GFRP. Perhaps boiling works well with ABS but has little effect on GFRP.

The main reason I heard for boiling was to remove air bubbles that got trapped during the plastic molding process. I'm a bit skeptical though. If the bubbles got trapped when the plastic was formed, wouldn't there just be an air cavity? I don't see how boiling would get rid of the cavities created by air bubbles.

If the plastic was able to absorb/expel moisture it might make some sense but even then, wouldn't that mean people in the moist tropics have 'tougher' cars than people living in the desert?

May be best to avoid crashes and always have spares on hand for all plastic parts.
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:22 AM   #589
Tech Master

Plastics will be settle in less than 24 hours right after coming off the tool. Glass fiber is only meant for better reinforcement and stand heats much higher. It also give more advantages if mixed with other elastomers. Tougher on the moulder and abbrasive for the injection machine.

720 is an incredible car ... well design.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:00 AM   #590
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by espeng
Yihaa! I'm building as we speak :-) I'm missing the springs in my kit though, so I guess i won't be racing tomorrow
You have six 720 ?

Wow ...
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:10 AM   #591
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

Acid
In the old days we used to do this to make the old type nylon more tough. With the new materials it is no longer nescessary. The new materials do absorb water in the first few days after moling and that is enough.

Sometimes when we have a new part thet we need right away we'll put it in a closed bag with a cup of water overnight to expedite the process, but normally the parts have enough time to settle normally.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:11 AM   #592
Tech Adept

Thumbs up Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

So, basically, allot of improvement has been made in terms of the material used and you don't have to bother with boiling the plastic parts.

Any building tips so far?

Acid
Acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:22 AM   #593
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

So, basically, allot of improvement has been made in terms of the material used and you don't have to bother with boiling the plastic parts.
Exactly.

Quote:

Any building tips so far?

Acid
Have fun!
Old 07-12-2006, 03:14 AM   #594
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
You have six 720 ?
Wow ...
Not really :-) I just did the pickup for my friends :-)

btw: Are the springs the same as the ones in the 710 kit?
espeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:33 AM   #595
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Yes you can use the 710 springs if you had a 710 before
Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 AM   #596
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well it seems in their haste to get kits to us Serpent quality control has failed.
Springs missing from kits.
B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:05 AM   #597
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Qlone

However, they are not the same color. The 710 came with yellow springs, the 720 comes with slightly harder red springs. The shocks on the 720 are all the same length, but the springs still come in the normal two sizes (short for front, and slightly longer in the back).
Qlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:14 AM   #598
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

720 kits have arrived in Australia. Should have mine tommorow
soc123_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #599
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlone
However, they are not the same color. The 710 came with yellow springs, the 720 comes with slightly harder red springs. The shocks on the 720 are all the same length, but the springs still come in the normal two sizes (short for front, and slightly longer in the back).
So, the 710 springs does not fit on 720?
eduardo_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:15 AM   #600
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Qlone

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo_garcia
So, the 710 springs does not fit on 720?
They do. All serpent spings fit all cars.
Qlone is offline   Reply With Quote