R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #541
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to _cyclops_

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4
Does any company make hardened aluminium or steel pinions for the 710/720.

No, but why should you?
Make sure you get 'new' pinions.. they have changed quality in the last 1,5 years or so... and some shops still have the old hanging around...
Other tip, make sure you replace the 2speed gearings also... if one of the 2speed of the pinion are damage the other will wear out faster...
_cyclops_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #542
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4
You're a 3hobby member right? Someone (& me) posted a link about steel pinions for the 710 : 16-22 & 17-22
Old 07-03-2006, 10:21 AM   #543
Tech Adept

Post Info Pls

Hi Guys

Like you, I am eagerly waiting the arrival of the 720. I am currently running the s710 and all I can say is (when you understand setup) the s710 becomes a very fast car on the track.

Example: I ran 1st race ever in the Nats and I ended up breaking my chassis in 2 - - I got over it - rebuilt my car.

Next race: won the C final with a total of 100 laps in 30mins.... not bad... for a beginner

I have taken a look at all of the pics of the 720... NO DRS, diff back-end... the rest of the car is similar to s710... why is this car faster than s710? The ratios offered are the same - Kyosho and Mugen offer from 15T pinions... Serpent... 17T ... all other drive ratios are the same, except the no of teeth on the rear diff.. even the belts have same amount of teeth, right?

So, why buy this car... does it have so much more grip? Where does it get the speed that everyone is talking about (if most drive ratios are the same)?

Any responses to the above would be appreciated....

Regards

Acid
Acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:23 AM   #544
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
Hi Guys

I have taken a look at all of the pics of the 720... NO DRS, diff back-end... the rest of the car is similar to s710... why is this car faster than s710? The ratios offered are the same - Kyosho and Mugen offer from 15T pinions... Serpent... 17T ... all other drive ratios are the same, except the no of teeth on the rear diff.. even the belts have same amount of teeth, right?

Regards

Acid
you have just answered your own question. the fact that the rear diff is different accounts for the increased acceleration the car has. also, the most significant change the car has, being able to hold it's settings much better than the 710 in bumps and crashes, is the the number 1 reason to switch over. at least i think so!
speedracer1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #545
Tech Rookie

Me to
Erik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #546
Tech Elite

Also there are some small changes that matter. In the geometry of the shocks, the rear end and the front end. The internal ratio is different and If you are the type of racer looking to enjoy more of the weekend without as much work, than the 720 will be for you also. The 720 holds it setting much better throuthout the day. Also if you want the faster car than the 720 should be slightly faster, at least on paper(especially on higher grip tracks).
dj apolaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #547
Tech Adept

Another good reason.... 710 will be probably discontinued in the near future
eduardo_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #548
Tech Regular

And that is right! This car is gonna be good for atleast another two year and another kit is comin' in,and that is why they don't do that much difference on the car.
I hope im right,
Old 07-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #549
Tech Rookie

Exclamation

that car is gonna b good 4 another 4 years junior
Gervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:30 PM   #550
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
Hi Guys

So, why buy this car... does it have so much more grip? Where does it get the speed that everyone is talking about (if most drive ratios are the same)?

Any responses to the above would be appreciated....

Regards

Acid
Acid, each generation of new car is built on the foundation you need to fix problems with the old. The 710 was fine as a 1/10th race car but you'd really have to be a die hard fan to say it didn't need improvement.

A lot of racer feedback has gone into the development of the new car. Technically speaking Serpent/Rene Cornella is the car's developer but in a broader sense we (Serpent customers) are also developers of the car. We don't provide specifics like what plastic is best or what angle should a suspension arm but provide feedback like 'car is too hard to drive', 'bumper breaks too easily', 'assembly is too complex', 'understeer is a problem', etc. That feedback is critical in the development of new products. While I can't speak for Serpent I'd say both the 960 and 720 probably have the highest level of customer driven development of any car Serpent has created to date.

In the last few years the Internet and RC have intersected. In the past it was mainly computer geeks with RC on these forums. Now everyone has a computer and is on the Net. Among everyone are some pretty clever people who have provided some pretty good feedback. The effect has been an enormous amount of free data that Serpent, Mugen, Kyosho, or any other RC company could never afford to get on their own. Basically, wide-spread use of the Internet is helping to create better cars.

Anyway, you get the idea. The 720 is a better car because a lot of people have input into the creation process. Everything from ease of drive issues, tougher components, easier assembly, and even parts compatibility are in part or mainly due to customer feedback. And believe me, there are some pretty demanding customers out there.

The car will be great.

Last edited by going4#1; 07-04-2006 at 12:15 AM.
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:36 AM   #551
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4
don't know if they are hardened but contact them and see,
http://www.racefactoryrcp.com/RCPCentral.html
Old 07-04-2006, 01:03 AM   #552
Tech Master

710-720 OD and Gear Ratio for your reff..
Attached Files
File Type: zip S710_720_OD_GearRatio.zip (12.5 KB, 145 views)
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:12 AM   #553
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

the new car is sweet.....just out of curiosity.....I was on my tsn....why does the car come with 4 wheels that look like they take foam tires?...who still mounts their own tires?....or was I mistaken and they are rubber based wheels?...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:57 AM   #554
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry
the new car is sweet.....just out of curiosity.....I was on my tsn....why does the car come with 4 wheels that look like they take foam tires?...who still mounts their own tires?....or was I mistaken and they are rubber based wheels?...
It was a very stupid move... No one still mounts their own tires anymore. Serpent should include a set of tires or no tires at all....
eduardo_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #555
Tech Adept

Default THANKS GUYS

Hi guys

First off... thanks to all, from Speedracer1129 to fastharry.. for the feedback to my questions, I really appreciate it. I know the rear of the car is re-designed and that the geometry is different. But, having said this, that word "geometry" can be a vast topic ....

Pyramid.. you the man.. your info rocks... thanks man.. appreciate it.. Now, I understand why this car is faster/carries more speed through the track...

I can't wait for one of you, cos in South Africa we will get the car later, to build and run the car... It would be great to get your thoughts on this new machine....

To be honest, I am sick to death of reading threads where guys talk about how the Mugen and Kyosho runs so well "straight out of the box". I pray this car is ranked in the same category...

The 710 can be hard to drive and yes, the front bumper is weak too... but when the car is hooked up... sweet ride

To be honest, I just want to hurt Mugen and Kyosho drivers on the track ... the rivalry down here is very fierce...

Acid
Acid is offline   Reply With Quote