R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #4291
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby Bros Racing View Post
Try starting with bigger tires with a little bigger tire split than normal to compensate on rear tire wear. It sounds like you are running out of rear tires.

Thanks for the response... Im already starting with stock rear tires (64.5 somewhat), and a 2mm split... Anything else I can do?
Serpenteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #4292
Tech Elite
 
Derby Bros Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,209
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpenteer View Post
Thanks for the response... Im already starting with stock rear tires (64.5 somewhat), and a 2mm split... Anything else I can do?

That's huge and do you actually run out of tires? What's the size at the end of the main?

If you do end up running really low maybe a harder compound is needed. You will need to play with your setup a little bit to compensate with the harder compound tires.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #4293
Tech Elite
 
dj apolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 2,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver-X View Post
Sir,
the track is a medium size with 2 hair pins at that time the track has a very high grip. Here is my set-up sir.

DROOP - Front 0
Rear 6
TOE - Front 1 out
Rear 2 in
CHAMBER - Front Left 2.0
Front Right 2.5
Rear Left 5.0
Rear Right 4.5
RIDE HEIGHT - Front 4.5
Rear 5.0
TIRES - Front 40 Shore/ 58mm cut
Rear 40 Shore/ 59mm cut
You can try my set up That is on the serpent.com web site. It is a good starting point.

DJ Apolaro
__________________
Capricorn RC, Capricorn Tires, Novarossi World, Spektrum, Horizon Hobby, PROTOform, RCTarget, IGT8.
dj apolaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #4294
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby Bros Racing View Post
That's huge and do you actually run out of tires? What's the size at the end of the main?

If you do end up running really low maybe a harder compound is needed. You will need to play with your setup a little bit to compensate with the harder compound tires.
Im already using 45sh Jaco... I do not end up on the rim, but im very close though. Like 2mm or 3mm before the rim
Serpenteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #4295
Tech Elite
 
Derby Bros Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,209
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpenteer View Post
Im already using 45sh Jaco... I do not end up on the rim, but im very close though. Like 2mm or 3mm before the rim

Wow! In that case it will be kind of hard to have a same handling car throughout the main. You are starting out with uncut 45 shore rear tires and ending up with only 2mm left after the main. Microsystems is the only brand I know of that makes tires harder than 45 shore but I'm not even sure if they are still available.

There are other things you can do to cut down on tire wear which involves setup changes and different driving style.

For instance:
- change your car's roll centers to make it hug the corners instead of slightly drifting them (a lot of fun to do to over power out of the corners but eats a lot of tires)
- same idea about "hugging" the corners by changing to slightly lighter weight oil in the rear diffs to make the car less power turning.
- use diffs front and rear or maybe a one way front with a light rear diff if the track is opened up (wider turns). Avoid locked front as it tend to eat more rear tires (due to the driving style you have to do with a locked front).
- loosen your clutch a little bit to make it smoother accelerating out of the corners.

The suggestions above may seem like I'm slowing down your car but overall, if you have a less aggressive car that is easier to drive, you will turn consistent laps and make less mistakes which gives better total race time for your main than making those hero laps.

Good luck and I hope you can improve your tire wear with the above tips!
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #4296
Tech Regular
 
s10dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sacramento , Calif.
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpenteer View Post
Im already using 45sh Jaco... I do not end up on the rim, but im very close though. Like 2mm or 3mm before the rim

wow ! that's alot of tire wear !
__________________
Marc Richards / Xray NT1 / Matrix Tires / RB Motor's / Futaba
Fabricator and racer @ Speedworld Raceway & Hobby
s10dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #4297
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Milton,Canada
Posts: 429
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

09, 09 where are u 09
i want my 09
__________________
RROL and LOU`s where only real racers race.
Weapons of choice,NT1 2010 , X-Ray T3 x 2, X-Ray X10 X-Ray all the way baby.
Futaba 4pk,gq tires,jaco tyres,odonnel fuel,T-Power batteries, tekin and nova powered.
Don`t blame the car, when you know you can`t drive.
Sponsor, me , myself and I.
nitro ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #4298
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby Bros Racing View Post
Wow! In that case it will be kind of hard to have a same handling car throughout the main. You are starting out with uncut 45 shore rear tires and ending up with only 2mm left after the main. Microsystems is the only brand I know of that makes tires harder than 45 shore but I'm not even sure if they are still available.

There are other things you can do to cut down on tire wear which involves setup changes and different driving style.

For instance:
- change your car's roll centers to make it hug the corners instead of slightly drifting them (a lot of fun to do to over power out of the corners but eats a lot of tires)
- same idea about "hugging" the corners by changing to slightly lighter weight oil in the rear diffs to make the car less power turning.
- use diffs front and rear or maybe a one way front with a light rear diff if the track is opened up (wider turns). Avoid locked front as it tend to eat more rear tires (due to the driving style you have to do with a locked front).
- loosen your clutch a little bit to make it smoother accelerating out of the corners.

The suggestions above may seem like I'm slowing down your car but overall, if you have a less aggressive car that is easier to drive, you will turn consistent laps and make less mistakes which gives better total race time for your main than making those hero laps.

Good luck and I hope you can improve your tire wear with the above tips!
Thanks for all those suggestions... I already have 10k in the rear diff, I'm thinking of going to 20k, just because I think after 2 qualifiers and the 45 minute main, the oil may be too light and that causes understeer on entry and oversteer on exit...

Going to try to use a diff instead of a locked one-way. Also, does a overlight car can also affect my car's consistency?
Serpenteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #4299
Tech Elite
 
Pattojnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 4,594
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpenteer View Post
Thanks for all those suggestions... I already have 10k in the rear diff, I'm thinking of going to 20k, just because I think after 2 qualifiers and the 45 minute main, the oil may be too light and that causes understeer on entry and oversteer on exit...

Going to try to use a diff instead of a locked one-way. Also, does a overlight car can also affect my car's consistency?
well i can say that i run 8k rear diff fluid. i dont have any oversteer problems, the thicker you go the more snap oversteer you will create. looking at your tire wear, if your wearing out 45's from full size, there is something wrong with the setup or driving style. i run 37's at 63mm but i start with a 3.5mm split for a 30 min main. after 30 mins i still have a split, if your wearing your rears that much, how much are the fronts wearing. if you have bigger front tires than rear, then the car will get harder to drive as the rears wear even more. if your wearing the fronts less, then the tire size is most likely the problem. the car needs smaller front tires all the time. or it will oveersteer.

just on a ddifferent note, i managed an overall win in the A1 Signs classic cup day here in perth last weekend. was hard racing and a good mate drivign an NT1 was on fire, but failed to marshall and lost some points. i am getting the car going better and better every time out. so i hope i can have a good showing in SA for the state titles, where the likes of the Jovanovics and davis and Maker will be attending. i should update my original 720 to a 09 by then
__________________
Serpent - Walter RC
Serpent E Power ..... Serpent 747 Reds M3T
Serpent 966-TE Reds M7T .... S411ERYX Speedpassion 3.5T, T-Shox
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #4300
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_RC_el View Post
I recently bought a SPP chassis for the 720 '07 but it didn't come with the fill plate. Do I need one? Which one should I get, the carbon or the brass one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10dude
i use the brass ALOT...but when i don't i leave it open i.e. no plate at all..
Anyone else has some advise on the fill plate?
ma_RC_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #4301
Tech Rookie
 
slow_rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Default

cool...great info
slow_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #4302
Tech Elite
 
Riketsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,514
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_RC_el View Post
Anyone else has some advise on the fill plate?
I usually use none... I'd use the Brass one if im short on weight after having the brass battery holder.
__________________
eBay user id: riketsukirai
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #4303
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Congratulations to Team Kamikaze Driver Steven Muller, he qualified 6th in the A main today at the Toys 4 tots race in Crystal Park on his 4th consecutive race with his 08' 720, he have been qualifying in the A main since he drove the 720, it clearly shows that the car is a winner.
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #4304
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,845
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Thank you, Sam. The cars is great, it was a dream to drive it today, so easy. Serpent continues to build winning cars, I cant wait for the 09 version of the 720.

I gotta thank Sam and Nigel Sim of Team Kamikaze, Nigel helping a lot with setup, and Sam for great pitting. Great support from Team Kamikaze.
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #4305
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SIMI VALLEY CA
Posts: 245
Default

Congrats Steven!!
__________________
Mugen USA-FX Hobbies-Airtronics
TONY CLARK
STRICTLYSERPENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 705 J_Longbrake Nitro On-Road 4252 02-23-2015 12:34 AM
Serpent 710 Ron C. Nitro On-Road 23347 03-16-2010 02:47 PM
WTB: NIB Serpent 710 aN4rK1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 06-16-2006 09:23 PM
Trade in Your Old Serpent 710 Parts for New Serpent 710 Parts fast_it710 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 09-17-2004 12:27 AM
Serpent Impulse w/MT-12 and Serpent Starter box - cheap Solara R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-07-2003 03:01 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:18 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net