R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #4291
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby Bros Racing View Post
Try starting with bigger tires with a little bigger tire split than normal to compensate on rear tire wear. It sounds like you are running out of rear tires.

Thanks for the response... Im already starting with stock rear tires (64.5 somewhat), and a 2mm split... Anything else I can do?
Serpenteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #4292
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpenteer View Post
Thanks for the response... Im already starting with stock rear tires (64.5 somewhat), and a 2mm split... Anything else I can do?

That's huge and do you actually run out of tires? What's the size at the end of the main?

If you do end up running really low maybe a harder compound is needed. You will need to play with your setup a little bit to compensate with the harder compound tires.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #4293
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver-X View Post
Sir,
the track is a medium size with 2 hair pins at that time the track has a very high grip. Here is my set-up sir.

DROOP - Front 0
Rear 6
TOE - Front 1 out
Rear 2 in
CHAMBER - Front Left 2.0
Front Right 2.5
Rear Left 5.0
Rear Right 4.5
RIDE HEIGHT - Front 4.5
Rear 5.0
TIRES - Front 40 Shore/ 58mm cut
Rear 40 Shore/ 59mm cut
You can try my set up That is on the serpent.com web site. It is a good starting point.

DJ Apolaro
Old 12-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #4294
Tech Adept

Quote:
That's huge and do you actually run out of tires? What's the size at the end of the main?

If you do end up running really low maybe a harder compound is needed. You will need to play with your setup a little bit to compensate with the harder compound tires.
Im already using 45sh Jaco... I do not end up on the rim, but im very close though. Like 2mm or 3mm before the rim
Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #4295
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Im already using 45sh Jaco... I do not end up on the rim, but im very close though. Like 2mm or 3mm before the rim

Wow! In that case it will be kind of hard to have a same handling car throughout the main. You are starting out with uncut 45 shore rear tires and ending up with only 2mm left after the main. Microsystems is the only brand I know of that makes tires harder than 45 shore but I'm not even sure if they are still available.

There are other things you can do to cut down on tire wear which involves setup changes and different driving style.

For instance:
- change your car's roll centers to make it hug the corners instead of slightly drifting them (a lot of fun to do to over power out of the corners but eats a lot of tires)
- same idea about "hugging" the corners by changing to slightly lighter weight oil in the rear diffs to make the car less power turning.
- use diffs front and rear or maybe a one way front with a light rear diff if the track is opened up (wider turns). Avoid locked front as it tend to eat more rear tires (due to the driving style you have to do with a locked front).
- loosen your clutch a little bit to make it smoother accelerating out of the corners.

The suggestions above may seem like I'm slowing down your car but overall, if you have a less aggressive car that is easier to drive, you will turn consistent laps and make less mistakes which gives better total race time for your main than making those hero laps.

Good luck and I hope you can improve your tire wear with the above tips!
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #4296
Tech Regular

Quote:

wow ! that's alot of tire wear !
Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #4297
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

09, 09 where are u 09
i want my 09
Don`t blame the car, when you know you can`t drive.
Sponsor, me , myself and I.
nitro ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #4298
Tech Adept

Quote:
Wow! In that case it will be kind of hard to have a same handling car throughout the main. You are starting out with uncut 45 shore rear tires and ending up with only 2mm left after the main. Microsystems is the only brand I know of that makes tires harder than 45 shore but I'm not even sure if they are still available.

There are other things you can do to cut down on tire wear which involves setup changes and different driving style.

For instance:
- change your car's roll centers to make it hug the corners instead of slightly drifting them (a lot of fun to do to over power out of the corners but eats a lot of tires)
- same idea about "hugging" the corners by changing to slightly lighter weight oil in the rear diffs to make the car less power turning.
- use diffs front and rear or maybe a one way front with a light rear diff if the track is opened up (wider turns). Avoid locked front as it tend to eat more rear tires (due to the driving style you have to do with a locked front).
- loosen your clutch a little bit to make it smoother accelerating out of the corners.

The suggestions above may seem like I'm slowing down your car but overall, if you have a less aggressive car that is easier to drive, you will turn consistent laps and make less mistakes which gives better total race time for your main than making those hero laps.

Good luck and I hope you can improve your tire wear with the above tips!
Thanks for all those suggestions... I already have 10k in the rear diff, I'm thinking of going to 20k, just because I think after 2 qualifiers and the 45 minute main, the oil may be too light and that causes understeer on entry and oversteer on exit...

Going to try to use a diff instead of a locked one-way. Also, does a overlight car can also affect my car's consistency?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #4299
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for all those suggestions... I already have 10k in the rear diff, I'm thinking of going to 20k, just because I think after 2 qualifiers and the 45 minute main, the oil may be too light and that causes understeer on entry and oversteer on exit...

Going to try to use a diff instead of a locked one-way. Also, does a overlight car can also affect my car's consistency?
well i can say that i run 8k rear diff fluid. i dont have any oversteer problems, the thicker you go the more snap oversteer you will create. looking at your tire wear, if your wearing out 45's from full size, there is something wrong with the setup or driving style. i run 37's at 63mm but i start with a 3.5mm split for a 30 min main. after 30 mins i still have a split, if your wearing your rears that much, how much are the fronts wearing. if you have bigger front tires than rear, then the car will get harder to drive as the rears wear even more. if your wearing the fronts less, then the tire size is most likely the problem. the car needs smaller front tires all the time. or it will oveersteer.

just on a ddifferent note, i managed an overall win in the A1 Signs classic cup day here in perth last weekend. was hard racing and a good mate drivign an NT1 was on fire, but failed to marshall and lost some points. i am getting the car going better and better every time out. so i hope i can have a good showing in SA for the state titles, where the likes of the Jovanovics and davis and Maker will be attending. i should update my original 720 to a 09 by then
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #4300
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_RC_el View Post
I recently bought a SPP chassis for the 720 '07 but it didn't come with the fill plate. Do I need one? Which one should I get, the carbon or the brass one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10dude
i use the brass ALOT...but when i don't i leave it open i.e. no plate at all..
Anyone else has some advise on the fill plate?
ma_RC_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #4301
Tech Rookie

cool...great info
slow_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #4302
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_RC_el View Post
Anyone else has some advise on the fill plate?
I usually use none... I'd use the Brass one if im short on weight after having the brass battery holder.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #4303
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Congratulations to Team Kamikaze Driver Steven Muller, he qualified 6th in the A main today at the Toys 4 tots race in Crystal Park on his 4th consecutive race with his 08' 720, he have been qualifying in the A main since he drove the 720, it clearly shows that the car is a winner.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #4304
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thank you, Sam. The cars is great, it was a dream to drive it today, so easy. Serpent continues to build winning cars, I cant wait for the 09 version of the 720.

I gotta thank Sam and Nigel Sim of Team Kamikaze, Nigel helping a lot with setup, and Sam for great pitting. Great support from Team Kamikaze.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #4305
Tech Adept

Congrats Steven!!