R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #3211
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 38
Default

Why do you only want to use CVD's in the front? Other comparable cars come with all four.
92mnstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #3212
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92mnstanger View Post
Why do you only want to use CVD's in the front? Other comparable cars come with all four.
Because there is no real advantage of using a rear cvd's.
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #3213
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 38
Default

Doesn't the wheel axle get worn due to the clearance between the axle and the dog bone?

What's the advantage in front? Retention of the axle after a crash?
92mnstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #3214
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92mnstanger View Post
Doesn't the wheel axle get worn due to the clearance between the axle and the dog bone?
It will, but it's going to be a while.
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #3215
Tech Elite
 
Serpent-Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,850
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

CVD's also make the drive train smoother
__________________
Inf1nity CM Beat1 Racing
Serpent-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #3216
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan View Post
CVD's also make the drive train smoother
So why would there not be an advantage to rear CVDs? Going from throttle to brake will change the side of the axle that sees force. Any slop in this transition can shock the rear tires on initial braking...Or am I nuts?
92mnstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #3217
Tech Elite
 
Serpent-Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,850
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

It's not to say that you can't use them its more preference and parts. I'm running cvd up front and dog bones in the rear,if you decide to run cvds in the rear you won't have any problems just make sure to check them occasionally to make sure their not bent. Hope this helps.
__________________
Inf1nity CM Beat1 Racing
Serpent-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #3218
Tech Initiate
 
djgoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
Default Increase 720 Ratio similar to the V-one or Mugenīs

Hello!

Been racing in a technical racetrack with lots of turns, V-oneís and Mugenīs are eating me on the turns I have to compensate with the smaller gears possible.
Iíve calculated the drive ratio of the serpent and itís:
Front 1.92, Rear 1.95 to my understanding great on mid to large tracks, also calculated Ratios in other cars and they are over 2.00

Just saw on Serpent USA the Overdrive conversion set 720 18T (#803202).
If I calculate the New ratios:

Front (35/18)*(22/21)=2.037
Rear (47/24)=1.9583

They are to far to obtain near 2.03
If I had a 23T Iíll had:
Rear (47/23)=2.043
Close enough

Can I convert any serpent 23T pulley to the Serpent 720 Brake pulley?
Like the one on the F180 Pulley 23T (#301053)
Anyone knows if other brands pulleys are compatible with 720?

Any of you guys have some ideas to increase Ratio similar to the V-one or Mugenīs (around 2.00)

Tankyou
djgoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #3219
Tech Elite
 
nigelnuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Artesia, SoCal.
Posts: 2,187
Send a message via AIM to nigelnuggets
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgoku View Post
Hello!

Been racing in a technical racetrack with lots of turns, V-oneís and Mugenīs are eating me on the turns I have to compensate with the smaller gears possible.
Iíve calculated the drive ratio of the serpent and itís:
Front 1.92, Rear 1.95 to my understanding great on mid to large tracks, also calculated Ratios in other cars and they are over 2.00

Just saw on Serpent USA the Overdrive conversion set 720 18T (#803202).
If I calculate the New ratios:

Front (35/18)*(22/21)=2.037
Rear (47/24)=1.9583

They are to far to obtain near 2.03
If I had a 23T Iíll had:
Rear (47/23)=2.043
Close enough

Can I convert any serpent 23T pulley to the Serpent 720 Brake pulley?
Like the one on the F180 Pulley 23T (#301053)
Anyone knows if other brands pulleys are compatible with 720?

Any of you guys have some ideas to increase Ratio similar to the V-one or Mugenīs (around 2.00)

Tankyou

Overdrive ratio change is specifically for the FRONT overdrive. As in, # of rotations of the front tires versus the rear tires.

Youre looking to change the INTERNAL ratio.
__________________
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies. www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.com / www.kamikazercracing.com
nigelnuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #3220
Tech Elite
 
nigelnuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Artesia, SoCal.
Posts: 2,187
Send a message via AIM to nigelnuggets
Default

If you want a 23t that may possibly fit on the Brake Hub adaptor, you can look into this pulley. Part no. 808228
__________________
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies. www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.com / www.kamikazercracing.com
nigelnuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #3221
Tech Elite
 
Derby Bros Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,209
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgoku View Post
Hello!

Been racing in a technical racetrack with lots of turns, V-oneís and Mugenīs are eating me on the turns I have to compensate with the smaller gears possible.
Iíve calculated the drive ratio of the serpent and itís:
Front 1.92, Rear 1.95 to my understanding great on mid to large tracks, also calculated Ratios in other cars and they are over 2.00

Just saw on Serpent USA the Overdrive conversion set 720 18T (#803202).
If I calculate the New ratios:

Front (35/18)*(22/21)=2.037
Rear (47/24)=1.9583

They are to far to obtain near 2.03
If I had a 23T Iíll had:
Rear (47/23)=2.043
Close enough

Can I convert any serpent 23T pulley to the Serpent 720 Brake pulley?
Like the one on the F180 Pulley 23T (#301053)
Anyone knows if other brands pulleys are compatible with 720?

Any of you guys have some ideas to increase Ratio similar to the V-one or Mugenīs (around 2.00)

Tankyou
Are you talking in terms of acceleration?

The internal ratio is affected a lot with your main gearing (pinions and spurs). Changing to smaller pinions will gain accelaration if that is what you are looking for. Changing the pulleys will affect your overdrive. The car in stock form is almost 1:1 with a 0.5mm split between front and rear tires.

If you are looking for more turn in and quicker speed in turns, you may want to raise your rear roll center.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #3222
Tech Elite
 
dj apolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 2,399
Default

How long is your straight? I have done a lot of testing with internal drive ratios and can help if I know how long the straight is. Also what kind of motor?

DJ Apolaro
dj apolaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #3223
Tech Elite
 
nigelnuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Artesia, SoCal.
Posts: 2,187
Send a message via AIM to nigelnuggets
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby Bros Racing View Post
Are you talking in terms of acceleration?

The internal ratio is affected a lot with your main gearing (pinions and spurs). Changing to smaller pinions will gain accelaration if that is what you are looking for. Changing the pulleys will affect your overdrive. The car in stock form is almost 1:1 with a 0.5mm split between front and rear tires.

If you are looking for more turn in and quicker speed in turns, you may want to raise your rear roll center.
Even with the smallest pinion and biggest spur, it is possible that the car cannot achieve the same acceleration as a car with a higher internal ratio. Changing the brake pulley and differential pulley's tooth count allows us to change the internal ratio which can then increase or decrease acceleration as well as theoretical top speed. By changing the pulleys else where, this affects the overdrive ratio ie. 2sp side pulley, side pulley, middle shaft pulley and 1 way pulley.
__________________
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies. www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.com / www.kamikazercracing.com
nigelnuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #3224
Tech Elite
 
Derby Bros Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,209
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelnuggets View Post
Even with the smallest pinion and biggest spur, it is possible that the car cannot achieve the same acceleration as a car with a higher internal ratio. Changing the brake pulley and differential pulley's tooth count allows us to change the internal ratio which can then increase or decrease acceleration as well as theoretical top speed. By changing the pulleys else where, this affects the overdrive ratio ie. 2sp side pulley, side pulley, middle shaft pulley and 1 way pulley.
You are absolutely correct. I've seen a racer change his pulleys (for internal ratio not overdrive) and he was able to use stock pinions and still get the acceleration of 16T. We race on a very small track but fortunately, 16T was enough and I like the fact that they are available in steel .

How have you been Nigel?
Our local onroad scene here is not doing very good at the moment. It looks like I have to drive there just to run onroad.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #3225
Tech Elite
 
nigelnuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Artesia, SoCal.
Posts: 2,187
Send a message via AIM to nigelnuggets
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby Bros Racing View Post
You are absolutely correct. I've seen a racer change his pulleys (for internal ratio not overdrive) and he was able to use stock pinions and still get the acceleration of 16T. We race on a very small track but fortunately, 16T was enough and I like the fact that they are available in steel .

How have you been Nigel?
Our local onroad scene here is not doing very good at the moment. It looks like I have to drive there just to run onroad.
You're tellin me man, Our tracks are dissapearing one by one. CP has some issues, GLARCRC is only open when the city says so. Im stuck running EP Touring. And you know me, 1/10th + my fingers dont mix. LOL

Anyway, the S400 is extremely good, it has capabilities to win around here, i just need to practice lol.
__________________
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies. www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.com / www.kamikazercracing.com
nigelnuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 705 J_Longbrake Nitro On-Road 4252 02-23-2015 12:34 AM
Serpent 710 Ron C. Nitro On-Road 23347 03-16-2010 02:47 PM
WTB: NIB Serpent 710 aN4rK1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 06-16-2006 09:23 PM
Trade in Your Old Serpent 710 Parts for New Serpent 710 Parts fast_it710 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 09-17-2004 12:27 AM
Serpent Impulse w/MT-12 and Serpent Starter box - cheap Solara R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-07-2003 03:01 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:08 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net