Serpent 720

Old 07-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I seem to be having the same problem as Killa G. On right hand turns my car has a nasty problem with the a$$ end wanting to come around. It only seems to happen on exiting the corner on power. Initially I though it was a problem with the droop or may something not built correct. After changing everything (one thing at a time) I have yet to solve the issue. I've even had Brandon Hess (local Serpent fast guy) look at the car and....nothing I need help!!! Has Serpent ever had a problem with the plastic molds or chassis being out of tweak......I know this is probably not the case but at this point I just need a solution.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Teacher
I seem to be having the same problem as Killa G. On right hand turns my car has a nasty problem with the a$$ end wanting to come around. It only seems to happen on exiting the corner on power. Initially I though it was a problem with the droop or may something not built correct. After changing everything (one thing at a time) I have yet to solve the issue. I've even had Brandon Hess (local Serpent fast guy) look at the car and....nothing I need help!!! Has Serpent ever had a problem with the plastic molds or chassis being out of tweak......I know this is probably not the case but at this point I just need a solution.
Are you running the lcg chassis? For some reason I believe my problem may be the new lcg chassis. Not sure if it is tweaked or if the fact that it is lightened and I have taken weight away from the bottom that I have to put additional weight back on the bottom in the correct locations. When I added chassis weights to make weight in the past I believe the problem was less but not cured. I get the impression that the new serpent hop ups for the new LCG SPP chassis such as the brass battery tray may help to cure this problem. I could be wrong but I know the team guys will steer me in the right direction .
Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

I do not think it is a chassis thing. If it is teaked, maybe, but not just the weight. Maybe you have a problem with the drive train. maybe a cvd or dog bone issue. Maybe a belt issue. Something with the drive train is most likely your problem. Check your out drive, cvd's, dog bones, pulleys, belts, etc. Also check sway bars front and rear for issues.

Hope this helps,

DJ Apolaro
Old 07-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
I do not think it is a chassis thing. If it is teaked, maybe, but not just the weight. Maybe you have a problem with the drive train. maybe a cvd or dog bone issue. Maybe a belt issue. Something with the drive train is most likely your problem. Check your out drive, cvd's, dog bones, pulleys, belts, etc. Also check sway bars front and rear for issues.

Hope this helps,

DJ Apolaro
Drivetrain seems good. I do have new CVD's in the front but I may also do a belt change all the way around. The side belt I just changed but the front and rear I have not changed. I am going to take the chassis off as well and make sure it is completely flat.

Thanks
Gael
Old 07-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I have had this problem every since I purchased the car. I ran the car first with the stock 4mm chassis and it would spin out. I then put on the LCG chassis to see if that would solve the problem and the car is still spinning out. I will be doing a total rebuild on the car this week so I will check the belts pulleys and diff. Hope I find something....
Old 07-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Droop
hey thanks, btw for a smooth track and good traction what is the basic droop setup , and for a 130-150 long straight what spur pinion gearing is recomended
Old 07-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pyramid
Something to share and assuming you meant pushing exiting corners ON FULL throttle. It was exactly what I experienced first time driving the car, box stock setup (1way) with 37s all around back in 2006. It was also on a race day. I was (actually Rene did) adding more rear toe in (about 1deg, total -3) and solve it. Surely other setup changes (as suggested) could be made to get where you want the car to be.

S720 seems 1step ahead in design till now eventhough almost a year old already. The one I like the most is that when you change rear roll center (lower arms), trackwidth will remain the same. Not all car design (maybe none in 1/10?) putting attention to this small detail.
yeap u assumed right...pushing exiting corners on full throt. simple cure u got there, thanks. i have d u'standing that more rear toe would give more rear grip and less straight line speed...
Old 07-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcabj
hey thanks, btw for a smooth track and good traction what is the basic droop setup , and for a 130-150 long straight what spur pinion gearing is recomended
0 or +1 in front and 5 in the rear. What motor for the gearing and what size tires do you use.

DJ Apolaro
Old 07-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i do know that with the new LCG chassis your droop should be one number less on front and rear do to the milling out of chassis. for example on stock chassis if you ran 0 front and 6 rear on the lcg you should run -1 and 5.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

0 or +1 in front and 5 in the rear. What motor for the gearing and what size tires do you use.

DJ Apolaro
i am running the TZ3, my tyres 61 fr and 62 rear...
Old 07-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

DJ Apolaro
In terms of droop should you run more or less droop when the traction is high and the track is semi smooth? Or does it depend on the rest of your setup? I believe I read that more droop less stable but more responsive?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcabj
i am running the TZ3, my tyres 61 fr and 62 rear...
17/60
22/56
Old 07-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Killa G
In terms of droop should you run more or less droop when the traction is high and the track is semi smooth? Or does it depend on the rest of your setup? I believe I read that more droop less stable but more responsive?
I depends on the rest of your set-up. When the track is smooth and I have plenty of rear traction. I run less travel in the front, typically.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by The Teacher
I seem to be having the same problem as Killa G. On right hand turns my car has a nasty problem with the a$$ end wanting to come around. It only seems to happen on exiting the corner on power. Initially I though it was a problem with the droop or may something not built correct. After changing everything (one thing at a time) I have yet to solve the issue. I've even had Brandon Hess (your daddy) look at the car and....nothing I need help!!! Has Serpent ever had a problem with the plastic molds or chassis being out of tweak......I know this is probably not the case but at this point I just need a solution.
Tom check your front track width to make sure your dog bones are not binding the front end up . What are you running the front end at?

Brandon
Old 07-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

17/60
22/56
TQ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.