R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-09-2007, 04:51 AM   #2266
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thamjk
I bought the 16T steel pinion tought if this part will last longer then a aluminium pinion. If I put it in 710 or 720 i have to slant the engine a lot which you can see from the top view (plan view).

But if I use the 16T aluminium pinion. it looks ok. I guess maybe not many people use 16T therefore no one notice this problem.

If you take a close look of the steel and aluminium version, the 16T steel version has a smaller diameter... please take one and try ... then you will know what i mean...

thanks for your response..
Really ... you should not need to use the 16t for the 720. Like Julius said, the internal ratio was designed so that you don't need the 16t.

Now on the 710 its a different story.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #2267
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sow&Steady
Really ... you should not need to use the 16t for the 720. Like Julius said, the internal ratio was designed so that you don't need the 16t.

Now on the 710 its a different story.
yeah.. thanks

Its just a discussion to ask around see if anyone has different opinion.

appriciate that..
thamjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:46 AM   #2268
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
yeah.. thanks

Its just a discussion to ask around see if anyone has different opinion.

appriciate that..

The local track we have here is very small and I use the steel 16T on my 720 (OS motor). It's tricky to mesh but take your time and you will have it straight and working. I ended up having the second speed really tight when new to have the first (16T) meshed properly. Run a couple of tanks to "break-in" the gears. On a side note, I have been using the same 16T on my 720 (racing every week) since September last year.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:05 AM   #2269
Tech Adept

Default Overdrive

Hi Guys

I have a question about overdrive on the 720... not sure if you guys answered this on the post somewhere, if you did, please forgive the question...

On the 720, do you want more rear overdrive or front overdrive? Is your overdrive selection based on the track or is there a stock setting (band, e.g between 5% front and 5% rear is perfect) that you should strive for?

Thanks

Acid
Acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #2270
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys, a simple question.... I use the 18T front pulley conversion so always run a 3mm tyre split front to back.In wet weather it is rubber tyres that seem to work the best but they are the same diameter front and back.Whats the easiest way to regain the correct overdrive ratio for use in wet weather? Cheers All
Woodchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #2271
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchop
Hi Guys, a simple question.... I use the 18T front pulley conversion so always run a 3mm tyre split front to back.In wet weather it is rubber tyres that seem to work the best but they are the same diameter front and back.Whats the easiest way to regain the correct overdrive ratio for use in wet weather? Cheers All
put stock pulley set-up back on?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #2272
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
Hi Guys

I have a question about overdrive on the 720... not sure if you guys answered this on the post somewhere, if you did, please forgive the question...

On the 720, do you want more rear overdrive or front overdrive? Is your overdrive selection based on the track or is there a stock setting (band, e.g between 5% front and 5% rear is perfect) that you should strive for?

Thanks

Acid

I prefer to have the stock setting which is a slight front overdrive.

I don't prefer rear overdrive.

Too much front overdrive the handling on trottle is wired.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:11 AM   #2273
Tech Adept

Quote:
I prefer to have the stock setting which is a slight front overdrive.

I don't prefer rear overdrive.

Too much front overdrive the handling on trottle is wired.
Thanks Thamjk...

I agree, when there is too much front OD, I find the front of the car "sticks" going into bends and the back gets slightly loose....

Thamjk, what is your stock setting - whats your front/back tyre split?

Thanks

Acid
Acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:46 AM   #2274
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
Thanks Thamjk...

I agree, when there is too much front OD, I find the front of the car "sticks" going into bends and the back gets slightly loose....

Thamjk, what is your stock setting - whats your front/back tyre split?

Thanks

Acid
If you use the 18t pulley (optional) it generate lesser front over drive, lesser then the stock 720.

I usually use stock with 1.5mm split.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #2275
Tech Rookie

Due to the fickle weather we have in my home country it can sometimes rain and dry very quickly. This is why i was wondering if there is a quick way to get an appropriate overdrive ratio-when using rubber tyres (which are the same size on the front and back of the car)!!! There would not be sufficent time to pull the front of the car apart to put the original pulley setup on!
Woodchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #2276
Tech Regular

I have seen a spring chart somwhere. But cant find it again. It had the soft color on one end and hard color on the other end. I have no idea were I saw it. Anyone know what I mean? I searched all over serpent.com and didnt see it again. Even better would be a part number to buy the entire set of shock springs.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:47 AM   #2277
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizby
I have seen a spring chart somwhere. But cant find it again. It had the soft color on one end and hard color on the other end. I have no idea were I saw it. Anyone know what I mean? I searched all over serpent.com and didnt see it again. Even better would be a part number to buy the entire set of shock springs.

if you buy the kit Serpent has the manual plus some supplementary booklets for set-ups and parts and i think you can find the springs ( from softest to hardest) in the supplementary booklets
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:21 AM   #2278
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buboy28
if you buy the kit Serpent has the manual plus some supplementary booklets for set-ups and parts and i think you can find the springs ( from softest to hardest) in the supplementary booklets
It's on page 21 of the setup booklet:

http://www.serpent.com/file.php?FileID=4719
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #2279
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickd122
Julius
Just a few questions
How do you go about choosing your dampening package for a particular track?
do you choose the springs first, oil wt then pistons?

The RCC shocks, how much rebound do you build them with?

Finally what is the objective to have the hardest spring/oil wt and soft tires
or hardest tires and softest suspension?

Thanks
Hi,

To start with the last question. The objective is to have the lowest laptime with the easiest handling.... Seriously some tracks will require stiff combo's (think about Ft Meyers with the fast chicanes where you need response) and sometimes you have more flowing tracks that allow softer combos for more control.

The rebound of the rcc shocks should be about half to 2/3s travel when released after full compression. Easiest way to achieve that consistently is using the rcc shock tool from serpent during assembly. It makes sure the piston is in the optimum position during bleeding and this gives very good rebound results.

Your first question is the most difficult....
To be honest I do not chage damping a whole lot. I mostly run 35wt all round with either 2 or 3 hole pistons. One thing to have in the back of your mind is that in bumpy tracks harder damping will often give better results than soft damping.

Spring hardness can change a lot in response of the car. Harder will give quicker response but less grip. Harder is often better in fast corners. Softer for hairpin type corners.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #2280
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius
Hi,

To start with the last question. The objective is to have the lowest laptime with the easiest handling.... Seriously some tracks will require stiff combo's (think about Ft Meyers with the fast chicanes where you need response) and sometimes you have more flowing tracks that allow softer combos for more control.

The rebound of the rcc shocks should be about half to 2/3s travel when released after full compression. Easiest way to achieve that consistently is using the rcc shock tool from serpent during assembly. It makes sure the piston is in the optimum position during bleeding and this gives very good rebound results.

Your first question is the most difficult....
To be honest I do not chage damping a whole lot. I mostly run 35wt all round with either 2 or 3 hole pistons. One thing to have in the back of your mind is that in bumpy tracks harder damping will often give better results than soft damping.

Spring hardness can change a lot in response of the car. Harder will give quicker response but less grip. Harder is often better in fast corners. Softer for hairpin type corners.
How do you use the shock tool to achieve this?

SpeedWorld Raceway & Hobbies | DesotoRacing.com | R1 Wurks
neltime64 is offline   Reply With Quote