Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Julius
In general the 3rd one way is a feel thing. You will need to practice with it, as the car will not slow down as much when off throttle in a corner. Some people interpret this as a reduction in steering due to less weight transfer.

It is also easier to overshoot corners as you miss some of the natural drag in the car.

It feels a bit like running an NTC3....
A final question: To this optional works as designed, the front tires should a little bigger than the necesary diameter to have a 1:1 overdrive relation? (to allow the oneway desengage) As you said before, if the overdrive relation is smaller than 1, the oneway will always be engaged.

regards

Eduardo
Old 03-01-2007, 09:22 AM
MrD
Tech Initiate

Exclamation

Hey, guys. Long time no post I posted this post in the G4S thread aswell: see what I get there . I have a R40 and raced it till it cried in amateur and pro level races, he he he… Now I am looking for a new car. I am looking at the top contenders. I am obviously taking into consideration LHSs and local support etc…The V one RRRRRRRRRR, he he, looks great but support is almost none existent. The new R40 (Hara Edition) looks good and support is okay, but I want something NEWer… MTX-4 looks good too but support is poor yet again. Serpent 720 and G4S have best support here. So, what you guys think??? I use 3PK radio fully digital all around.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrD
Hey, guys. Long time no post I posted this post in the G4S thread aswell: see what I get there . I have a R40 and raced it till it cried in amateur and pro level races, he he he… Now I am looking for a new car. I am looking at the top contenders. I am obviously taking into consideration LHSs and local support etc…The V one RRRRRRRRRR, he he, looks great but support is almost none existent. The new R40 (Hara Edition) looks good and support is okay, but I want something NEWer… MTX-4 looks good too but support is poor yet again. Serpent 720 and G4S have best support here. So, what you guys think??? I use 3PK radio fully digital all around.
If you can get good support for a 720, then definitely go for the 720.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 AM
MrD
Tech Initiate

Exclamation

Thanks Kamikaze....

What about some of the issues that the cars have? What style of driving you think the car suites; if any??
Old 03-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MrD
Thanks Kamikaze....

What about some of the issues that the cars have? What style of driving you think the car suites; if any??
The 720, is a very consist car. The only real problem they had, which has been fixed, was the rear pivot balls pushing in. People would just use the 960 one or the mtx4 ones. But that issue was only with the first batch.

DJ Apolaro
Old 03-01-2007, 09:54 AM
MrD
Tech Initiate

The pivot ball was pushing in?? You mean that the plastic wasn't holding up or something? Serpent awlways had issues concerning their plastic.... At the racees people with 710s for example would dread un-screwing and screwing their cars because sometimes that would be it.... Dunno, I hope that aint the prob.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by eduardo_garcia
A final question: To this optional works as designed, the front tires should a little bigger than the necesary diameter to have a 1:1 overdrive relation? (to allow the oneway desengage) As you said before, if the overdrive relation is smaller than 1, the oneway will always be engaged.

regards

Eduardo
No, not at all. In the end during longer runs the rear tires always wear a little faster than the fronts. The beauty of this system is that the handling of the car stays more consistent.

Without the 3rd one way the front and rear are always connected, no matter what the tire size is. In that case you will always have drag in the driveline.

In theory when running the 3rd one way in combination with a front one-way, you have minimal drivetrain drag. The front one-way takes care of tooo small front tires, where the 3rd one way takes care of too large fronts....
Old 03-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrD
The pivot ball was pushing in?? You mean that the plastic wasn't holding up or something? Serpent awlways had issues concerning their plastic.... At the racees people with 710s for example would dread un-screwing and screwing their cars because sometimes that would be it.... Dunno, I hope that aint the prob.

MrD

The pivot ball was pushing in on the rear arms after a hit. It was only the first batch of kits when the car first came out that had this problem. Serpent USA even replaced the defective rear arms for free for those who bought the very first batch of kits and had a problem. I personally had this issue on my car but after replacing the rear arms with the new ones, the problem was solved.

You may also want to check out the Serpent 720 07 which should be widely available very soon. This is a refined 720 with durability and cosmetic changes which should make this very capable car even better. Please visit their website for info: http://www.serpent.com/product/803005

Old 03-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Tech Adept

That is incorrect. The one way bearing sits inside the rear pulley/brake rotor assembly. The front drivetrain is still fixed to the 2speed shaft.

So it is the fronts, that actually will always receive power. Only in the case where the front rollout is the same or smaller than the rear will the one-way always be engaged (then the entire drivetrain will act as if there were no one way at all).

To address FastHarrys question:
Yes you can run an overdrive setup. Normally though when running a pulley setup that provides more drive to the front (as with the optional 18t pulley in the 720) you will also run smaqller diameter front tires to make the drive 1:1 again. So then not a lot would change. But if you cut the tires so there is more drive to the front, you would always have power to the front wheels, with the rears kicking in when the fronts start slipping. Off throttle the one-way will prevent the drivetrain bindup, which removes some of the turn in oversteer often associated with overdrive.
Wow, this thing is hard to understand...
Old 03-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Luke W
Wow, this thing is hard to understand...
Don't worry about it Luke, your car is fast already!
Old 03-02-2007, 04:09 AM
Tech Master

anyone knows the part numbers of those new hard plastic suspension parts i think i going to need those as spare parts in case anything broke with my 720
Old 03-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Cool Serpent open day 11/3/07 Halifax's track

Well i would like your guy's to see my color's for my 720
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 720-720-06-1.jpg   Serpent 720-720-06.jpg  
Old 03-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Rookie

The thing you are missing is that the brake disk is connected to the 24t pulley directly and not via the one way. That means that when you brake the rear wheels will always brake. And only when the fronts are turning faster than the rear (which would be the case when the rear starts to lock up) the fronts will brake too. This has the effect that you lose less steering under braking!
im not sure i agree!

if my car is up on a stand and i apply the brakes both front and rear are locked with no take up in the one way before they lock with the brake applied then the brake works on the rear as its direct to the disk and the front wheels can not turn forwards only backwards on the one way??

am i missing something

Last edited by beliveitornot; 03-02-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by beliveitornot
im not sure i agree!

if my car is up on a stand and i apply the brakes both front and rear are locked with no take up in the one way before they lock with the brake applied then the brake works on the rear as its direct to the disk and the front wheels can not turn forwards only backwards on the one way??

am i missing something
No you're not missing anything. It works just as I said. When you lock the brake the front wheels cannot turn forward.

Now, what makes the front wheels turn when you are braking anyway? The track! The front wheels are rolling forward aren't they? So that means they will apply force to the brake disk via the one way.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No you're not missing anything. It works just as I said. When you lock the brake the front wheels cannot turn forward.

Now, what makes the front wheels turn when you are braking anyway? The track! The front wheels are rolling forward aren't they? So that means they will apply force to the brake disk via the one way.
WHAT???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.