Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Running a Kyosho v-one R as a noob in 2021 or get a cheap 1/8? >

Running a Kyosho v-one R as a noob in 2021 or get a cheap 1/8?

Running a Kyosho v-one R as a noob in 2021 or get a cheap 1/8?

Old 01-07-2021, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

Default Running a Kyosho v-one R as a noob in 2021 or get a cheap 1/8?

Hi, Iíve loosely had some experience with 1/10 electric years ago (on road pan car at a very basic level) and wanted to try nitro as thereís a nice track near me.

Iím thinking to buy a well running and complete used car (ideally with some spares included) and planned to just use it as a chance to learn nitro and just run the car until the spares run out or it breaks (then if I like nitro get a newer car and take it a bit more seriously).

I understand nitro is a lot of work and not ideal for a beginner but I had some questions regardless.

There are several decent old complete cars for sale in my area (all decent and running):

Kyosho v-one R
- V-One R with a very (!) comprehensive spares package @ $250

- V-One RR Evo (no spares and lower end engine and servos compared to the above car @ $250

- V-One RRR evo 2 (with some spares and very good motor) @ 450

- V-One RRR @ 450 (with 250$ worth of spares and a very good motor)

- Sherperd Velox @ 250 (with very good motor, no spares and needs new front shocks)

Budget wise Iím fine to spend the 450 if it really makes sense, but as Iím going to be beating this car up and just using it as a platform to learn anyway would the cheaper car with the more spares make best sense (Iíd still like to enter a race with them to see if I enjoy the vibes)...

Alternative there are cheap older 1/8 GPs for around the $500 mark (serpent 977) or a serpent Cobra 3.0 GT at around 500.

Opinions-

​​​​​​ó in your view does either of the V-Ones make more sense than the other given what Iím looking for? (ie should I take the older RR with loss of spares at 250 all in as a no brainer, or should I stay away from cars that old and get the newer model such as the RRR evo 2 (but with less spares and near double the cost)???

- Or if Iím going to try the complicated world of nitro should I just go all in and get a cheap 1/8 car and run it until it dies (in which case I could say at least I tried the RC worlds flagship class)?

- I donít find 1/8 GT that sexy from looking at pics if I compare it to 1/8 GP, but does GT class make much more sense as a noob (rubber tires)? Are GT the engines and clutches just as complex or more simple compared to 1/8 GP (meaning the only real advantage as a beginner is the rubber tires instead of foam)?

- is the work load much difference between 1/10 and 1/8 (if I donít care about running competitively)?

- what is the actual approx difference on running in terms of cost for 1/10 vs 1/8. Is it just more fuel and tires in 1/8? Is 1/8 GP double the running cost of 1/10 or just like 25% more...

Iím not trying to be the next senna here, rather just try a proper top level nitro car and have some fun without blowing a few thousands bucks right away (if I really like it Iím sure that will come later).

A long post and many questions but I really appreciate anyoneís input on how best to try top level nitro cars...

thanks!!! )
Old 01-08-2021, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can't answer your question with certainty, but I do remember reading about a couple guys, on here, that still race with this V-one RRR and do well with it. From what I understand, it's not popular here, but it is in other countries.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:26 AM
Tech Lord

Keep in mind that Kyosho is not doing a thing with onroad for some years by now. The v-one=RRR is already an old platform and you do need spares.

Running 1/8 will cost the same, only a set of tires will be a bit cheaper.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'd suggest buying the cheaper option with spares regardless of the engine. (you may need to replace that soon) Learn tuning technique and have plenty of tires on hand. When you get hooked, your money will be better spent on a more contemporary package. Look into buying a competitive car either new or used. There are usually plenty for sale that are typically only a season or two old for a good price. The key is parts support in your area. What region do you live? As you play around with your "cheap" setup, you will need to acquire tools and support equipment to run Nitro and these will carry over to your new investment, reducing your initial startup costs.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys, yes Iím also leaning towards the car with the larger spares package. Many thanks