Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
2021 Midwest Series >

2021 Midwest Series

Like Tree67Likes

2021 Midwest Series

Old 01-05-2021, 06:57 AM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 310
Default 2021 Midwest Series

Welcome to the 52nd season of the “Midwest Series”. The longest On-Road racing series in the USA!

As I’m sure all of you racers that have been racing in the series know I’ve volunteered for Director for a 3rd term. My last 2 were in 2006-2007. In those 2 years we had over 450 entries each year. Wouldn’t it be nice if could see that again. We also had 6 different tracks that hosted a MWS race each of those years.

Last year at this time, January, we had a very different outlook awaiting the start of the 51st season then how the season actually started. This year we look forward to the start of this season, but are still unsure of what it will be like when it starts, with greater expectations by the end of the series when we award the winners in September.

The businesses that support our hobby have also seen better years. So when it comes to trying to secure sponsors for this season I’m hoping some of them will be able to show their support so we can acquire the awards and trophies for each race and year end champions. I looked back at my old records from 2006. I was able to purchase over $6000.00 in awards that year, besides the free cookouts and free drawings. We had 20 sponsors that made that possible. I expect it to be different this time around. But I truly believe the racers that are still racing now would race no matter what the awards would be.

We are planning on having 5 MWS races. 2 in Toledo, 2 in Cincinnati, and one in Stoneboro, PA. Or 2 in Toledo and 3 in Cincinnati, if Stoneboro doesn’t work out. The series will be the best 4 out of 5. The venues might change but the race dates will stay the same. The points and rules will be the same as last year.

The proposed schedule is as follows.

May 22-23 Toledo

June 12-13 Cinci.

July 10-11 Stoneboro or Toledo

August 14-15 Cinci.

September 25-26 Cinci or Toledo. (Toledo if we race in Stoneboro.)

The Stoneboro race will be at Big Dog Indoor Racing and Hobby. They have an on-road track that Mike McBride tested at last year and will be working with the owner to get it laid out for our liking. We’re hoping we might get their local racers interested in the MWS and up our attendance.
Mark Unger is offline  
Old 01-05-2021, 07:08 AM
  #2  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 310
Default

RCTECH will be the official reporting venue for this 2021 MWS season. The reason? I don’t do social media. Never have. Never will. The MWS faceBook may be updated with information taken from this forum. But any official news will only be posted here. I will not read the MWS faceBook site to see what has been posted or not. So be sure to drop by RCTECH to be sure you have the latest MWS information.

Sorry if you don’t agree. But I have very strong feelings about social medias.
Mark Unger is offline  
Old 01-05-2021, 01:58 PM
  #3  
Tech Master
iTrader: (29)
 
TeamCarnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Highland In. USA
Posts: 1,958
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Thank You Mark for taking on the duties of MWS Director!

All racers are hoping for a return to racing without the stress of Covid and the policies it brings to any gatherings. Attendance unfortunately will never rebound to past years numbers. The bright side is that the racers that race are dedicated to the sport and aren't to worried about getting that big "bowling" trophy. More important would be to get pics out of the winners and reading a small recap of a race weekends event. A timely posting of the current points is always a plus. This is just my opinion and observation for last several years.

I totally understand your stance on the social media forums. Being a frequent FB user, as you now know, I took it upon myself and posted the schedule on the MWS thread. I will continue to update that page with pertinent info, pics, and results. This would only be done with your approval. I said last year when you stepped up I would help where needed. This is one area that I can help. Their are many FB users who never visit RC Tech for whatever reason. I just want to get some awareness out to the racers.

Here's to continuing the MWS into a great 52nd season! I hope this great series continues for another 50+ years! See everyone in Toledo for the first race. Or in Florida a the WinterNats or a Florida Nitro Series Race. The end of March is the return of the Pan American Race in Homestead, now open to all classes. March 26,27,28 GoodRacing to all!
TeamCarnage is offline  
Old 01-12-2021, 03:08 PM
  #4  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24
Default

Originally Posted by Mark Unger View Post
Welcome to the 52nd season of the “Midwest Series”. The longest On-Road racing series in the USA!

As I’m sure all of you racers that have been racing in the series know I’ve volunteered for Director for a 3rd term. My last 2 were in 2006-2007. In those 2 years we had over 450 entries each year. Wouldn’t it be nice if could see that again. We also had 6 different tracks that hosted a MWS race each of those years.

Last year at this time, January, we had a very different outlook awaiting the start of the 51st season then how the season actually started. This year we look forward to the start of this season, but are still unsure of what it will be like when it starts, with greater expectations by the end of the series when we award the winners in September.

The businesses that support our hobby have also seen better years. So when it comes to trying to secure sponsors for this season I’m hoping some of them will be able to show their support so we can acquire the awards and trophies for each race and year end champions. I looked back at my old records from 2006. I was able to purchase over $6000.00 in awards that year, besides the free cookouts and free drawings. We had 20 sponsors that made that possible. I expect it to be different this time around. But I truly believe the racers that are still racing now would race no matter what the awards would be.

We are planning on having 5 MWS races. 2 in Toledo, 2 in Cincinnati, and one in Stoneboro, PA. Or 2 in Toledo and 3 in Cincinnati, if Stoneboro doesn’t work out. The series will be the best 4 out of 5. The venues might change but the race dates will stay the same. The points and rules will be the same as last year.

The proposed schedule is as follows.

May 22-23 Toledo

June 12-13 Cinci.

July 10-11 Stoneboro or Toledo

August 14-15 Cinci.

September 25-26 Cinci or Toledo. (Toledo if we race in Stoneboro.)

The Stoneboro race will be at Big Dog Indoor Racing and Hobby. They have an on-road track that Mike McBride tested at last year and will be working with the owner to get it laid out for our liking. We’re hoping we might get their local racers interested in the MWS and up our attendance.
what is the date for the GLC?
Jim's Racing is offline  
Old 01-13-2021, 08:24 AM
  #5  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 310
Default

GLC is August 27-29
Rick Vessell likes this.
Mark Unger is offline  
Old 03-11-2021, 08:21 AM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (29)
 
TeamCarnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Highland In. USA
Posts: 1,958
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default


The two fine racers on the left are ready for the 2021 MWS Season to begin! It won't be long now!
TeamCarnage is offline  
Old 03-11-2021, 08:06 PM
  #7  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,658
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Come on, Nick. That photo is photoshoped. You can't fool me.
davidl is offline  
Old 03-13-2021, 06:50 AM
  #8  
Tech Master
iTrader: (29)
 
TeamCarnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Highland In. USA
Posts: 1,958
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by davidl View Post
Come on, Nick. That photo is photoshoped. You can't fool me.
You were probably there!
TeamCarnage is offline  
Old 03-17-2021, 06:35 AM
  #9  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 7
Default Can't wait!!!

I'm ready!! Let's get this party started.
Melvin Aulston is offline  
Old 03-17-2021, 07:26 AM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (29)
 
TeamCarnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Highland In. USA
Posts: 1,958
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Melvin Aulston View Post
I'm ready!! Let's get this party started.
Welcome to RCTech! I'm looking forward to this season too! Pan Am race next weekend first!
bmclean likes this.
TeamCarnage is offline  
Old 03-23-2021, 01:13 PM
  #11  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 310
Default

The weather is finally starting to warm up here in the Midwest. And getting outside to start yard work just says “I’d rather be racing my RC Car.” So I’ll get the yard work finished early then “Let the racing begin!”

The proposed MWS schedule is staying pretty much as posted before. The only unknown at this time is the last race in September. Mike McBride is working with the owner at Big Dog Racing in Stoneboro to make necessary changes to host the race in September. His plan sounds promising. He plans on making the track much longer, changing the layout for 1/8th scale and adding the pit lane and pit lane bench. Once all the upgrades are done we plan on setting a date to go there and test it out for a day. Once the practice date is confirmed I will post it and everyone will be welcomed to come.

May 22-23 Toledo

June 12-13 Cinci.

July 10-11 Toledo

August 14-14 Cinci.

September 25-26 Cinci. or Stoneboro
TeamCarnage likes this.
Mark Unger is offline  
Old 03-28-2021, 09:03 AM
  #12  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (99)
 
1/8 IC Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 6,165
Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default

Mark,

Wanted to ask, is there a Class Registry? I have now moved up to MI and this may be a chance to run with you guys in Toledo.

Thanks.
1/8 IC Fan is offline  
Old 03-28-2021, 07:52 PM
  #13  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (218)
 
racerx1920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,966
Trader Rating: 218 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Mark,

Wanted to ask, is there a Class Registry? I have now moved up to MI and this may be a chance to run with you guys in Toledo.

Thanks.
You have your choice of 1/10 sedan open or masters, 1/8 open or masters and 2wd pan car. Same classes are offered on a weekly club day
racerx1920 is offline  
Old 04-15-2021, 06:40 AM
  #14  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 310
Default

I've heard that Toledo's 1st club race on Sunday April 25th is going to include a practice day on Saturday the 24th. This is a good opportunity, for all of us that aren't retired and can travel all of the south in the winter time and race every weekend, to get some extra track time. Hope the early spring weather is nice.
Mark Unger is offline  
Old 04-15-2021, 08:33 AM
  #15  
Tech Master
iTrader: (29)
 
TeamCarnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Highland In. USA
Posts: 1,958
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Mark Unger View Post
I've heard that Toledo's 1st club race on Sunday April 25th is going to include a practice day on Saturday the 24th. This is a good opportunity, for all of us that aren't retired and can travel all of the south in the winter time and race every weekend, to get some extra track time. Hope the early spring weather is nice.
This is good news! Thanks go out to Ted Hammer for this opportunity! Racing in Florida over the winter is overrated.. Yeah,, right!
TeamCarnage is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.