fly wheel

Old 04-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

Default fly wheel

my fly wheel is spining like a bearing but i cant turn the pilot shaft at all.. 2 day old engine too (os .18 cvr max) ppl say u need to put something in the back of the engine to stop the piston from moving then remove the pilot shaft and then put it back opn and tighten the pilot shaft to make the flywheel stay on is this true???
Old 04-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

i have a tool that screws into the glow plug hole that stops the piston from rotating so you can remove the nut or tighten it to lock the flywheel in place. make sure you have the brass collar on the shaft so the flywheel will seat properly.that tool should be available at you're local hobby store. if not most on line places have them. if you remove the backplate and wedge a screwdriver against the con rod it will work also but you run the risk of damaging the internals of the motor if you do it wrong.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bumm_off_street
my fly wheel is spining like a bearing but i cant turn the pilot shaft at all.. 2 day old engine too (os .18 cvr max) ppl say u need to put something in the back of the engine to stop the piston from moving then remove the pilot shaft and then put it back opn and tighten the pilot shaft to make the flywheel stay on is this true???
The problem may be the collet. I know on certain engine flywheel combinations you may need a slightly different collet. If the flywheel is spinning on the crankshaft and the clutch nut is fully tightened then you need to try a spacer behind the collet, or try a different collet. This is if I understand your problem correctly.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Tech Addict

Careful with putting anything in to stop the piston. It is very easy with the soft metals to ruin your piston/sleeve. What I do is rotate the crank by hand counterclockwise until right when it starts to pinch. Then pull out the glow plug, fill up with afterrun oil , and reinstall the glow plug. Now the piston should be hydro locked and you should be able to remove the clutch nut. If it takes a lot of force (if you did something silly like use red Loctite), you may end up damaging the piston rod, crank pin, etc. If you notice excess force will be needed, stop. You may have to heat up the clutch nut to free it up a bit.

...and +1 on what Grinder said about collets.