R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New to the race

Me and my fellow co-workers are just getting into Nitro cars and we are looking to buy some but I don't know which are the best. I was hoping someone can help me out with like a rating system for all the different brands as to exactly what car to buy.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Go to your local hobby shop and track and see what they run and what they support. You'll get alot of different answers cause everyone has there preferences. Good luck.
Dreddlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Tech Master

off road or on-road? and what scale 1/10 or 1/8?
manokgt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreddlox
Go to your local hobby shop and track and see what they run and what they support. You'll get alot of different answers cause everyone has there preferences. Good luck.
I totally agree with Dreddlox!

What type of budget do you guys have?

If you want to be competitive and get the best car and the best tools/pit gear to keep up with the 1/10th A and B Main racers, your startup costs will be in the $2,000-2,500 range. After that, tires, glow plugs, fuel, maintenance and spare parts will average anywhere from $50-150/month, depending on how often you run the car, how well you want to maintain the car and how much race damage you incurr.

If you just want to have fun, you don't have to spend a lot of money. Any current or previous model will do (i.e. Kyosho V-ONE RR vice V-ONE RRR; Mugen Seiki MTX-3 vice MTX-4). Whatever you decide, make sure you buy decent tools and pit gear.

When I got started this year, I based my purchasing decisons on one simple axiom: If you buy the best and don't perform well, it's not the car. Tuning and driving skills is what really seperates the leaders from the laggards. Winning has more to do with your abilities than what car you choose.
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to integra evan Send a message via MSN to integra evan

Are you planning to be a parking lot basher or a track racer, or perhaps both? There are many out there to choose from for every style of driving, so like said above, go to your local hobby shop(s) and track(s) to get some different opinions and reviews, try some out, and base your decision from there.
integra evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:39 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Also do you want to build or buy one that is already ready to run (RTR)
indy_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions! To answer the other questions though: The original idea was to take them to my works parking garage and race them with each other. I'm looking for something good but low cost (not cheap though) probably 200 to 300 tops to start (I have a ring to buy) as for building or already built, I have no prefence. I build models so for me building is a pleasure but so is the race. My buddy has the mentality that "if you are already going to spend the money, then you might as well go for the best right away" but he is still only looking at 400 to 500. He is suggesting CEN, TRAXXAS, and HPI only. What are your thoughts?
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu
Thanks for all the suggestions! To answer the other questions though: The original idea was to take them to my works parking garage and race them with each other. I'm looking for something good but low cost (not cheap though) probably 200 to 300 tops to start (I have a ring to buy) as for building or already built, I have no prefence. I build models so for me building is a pleasure but so is the race. My buddy has the mentality that "if you are already going to spend the money, then you might as well go for the best right away" but he is still only looking at 400 to 500. He is suggesting CEN, TRAXXAS, and HPI only. What are your thoughts?
Neither of those brands I would recommend. Get on eBay and find MTX-3s that are RTR. You cant bet better quality for the price they selling at.
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to integra evan Send a message via MSN to integra evan

If your budget is 200-300, You'd probably be better off with RTR cars.
integra evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If your just starting and have no r/c experience, try the HPI or Team Associated cars. Easy to find parts for, easy to work on and priced right for a novice. The RTR kits come with all you need to run besides fuel, igniter and batteries.
Dreddlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu
What ever you buy DO NOT buy the CEN. They are crap. I think that you would be better off with the HPI. HPI is easy to get parts for. I don't own one but out of those three that would be my pick.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote