R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-12-2002, 08:36 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Talking The BEST class-no one knows about!

Guys,

I just wanted to drum up some enthusiasm for what is probably the most killer nitro-on-road class that no-one knows about!!!

Its the 235mm 1/10th 4wd Open class!!

Why is it so killer? Cars handle great and have a killer 0.15 turbo outlaw motor in them. Super fast and easy handling, all at a cost not much higher than a Nitro tourer, but WAY less than a 1/8th scale.

For example, last year I ran a NTC3 and it cost me a fortune in tires. Two sets a day of special on-road foam tires per race day. My Tourer was often twitchy and inconsistent in handling-especially in high bite tracks, the motor took a beating because you had to run them really hot to get the performance out of them. Especially at ROAR races with that ridiculous 2" air hole rule!!!

The year before I ran 1/8th sale with a Vector and man was that fun-but wayyy too expensive to maintain. And when the cars handling wasn't perfect-it was tough to keep the missle off the boards!!!

So-if you want a ride that is wicked fast-but at a lower cost than a 1/8th scale-this should be the class for you!!!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:39 AM   #2

It's also a great class for those that would otherwise put a vds body and 5 port turbo .12 in their tourer. You need to run the GRP rubber Ray, I didn't burn through foam that fast at Detroit.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:43 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

2 sets a day?!?!? Do you run 1 hour qualifiers or something??
pimpedaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:50 AM   #4
Tech Champion

pimpedaccord-I would run two or three practice sessions, then three qualifiers and a 20 to 30 minute main. So about an hour of track time per day. I made my car work on smaller tires-so new I was running them 2.40" and down. Sweet spot at 2.30". That was part of problem. If I ever run Nitro Touring again-I am running tires out of package!!!

ob42tc3-hey-hows it hangin? When are coming to our permanent carpet track in Cleveland ??? Its a great track!! We might have one big race in march... maybe!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 12:45 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

I wonder will a 5 port modified 200mm .12 with lola keep up with the .15 big block 235mm 4WD?
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 02:16 PM   #6
Tech Master

Here in the UK one of the Serpent team drivers placed a 200mm car third in the main final of the 235mm class. And he wasn't all that far off the pace when he set fastest single lap of the day. But then again he had probably the best engine tuner in Great Britain working on his car - Mr Walt 'the shuffle' Bailey.
I had the pleasure of running against these guys at our GP and they are fast.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 04:41 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Default Re: The BEST class-no one knows about!

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
Super fast and easy handling, all at a cost not much higher than a Nitro tourer, but WAY less than a 1/8th scale.
I spent WAAAAAAY less money racing my MRX-3 than I did my MTX-2. The initial investment was higher, but to me the 1/8 car is considerably less to maintain.

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuangIf I ever run Nitro Touring again-I am running tires out of package!!!
You almost have to run TCs like that. Mains are getting longer & longer, tires costs are geting higher & higher. I might true my rears down 1 or 2mm to get the right overdrive, but that depends on the track. Like I said, my 1/8 car is much cheaper (& more fun IMO) to run as compared to my 1/10 tourer.

235mm cars are basically extinct in my area.
tekrsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:16 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

I'll race 235mm when they allow bigger fuel tanks. Bigger engines but the same tiny 75cc fuel tanks...where's the logic in that???
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 05:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
pimpedaccord-I would run two or three practice sessions, then three qualifiers and a 20 to 30 minute main. So about an hour of track time per day. I made my car work on smaller tires-so new I was running them 2.40" and down. Sweet spot at 2.30". That was part of problem. If I ever run Nitro Touring again-I am running tires out of package!!!

ob42tc3-hey-hows it hangin? When are coming to our permanent carpet track in Cleveland ??? Its a great track!! We might have one big race in march... maybe!!!
Left. I don't know; Clevelands a haul for me. Speaking of permanent carpet tracks, we're about to have one here in Fort Wayne. What kind of big race? Doing your practice on big tires really helps save some $ on the tourers. Another thing that helps is running two sets of rears for every set of fronts and rotating between runs. Tires are key to any racing program though, and the 1/8 scale tires are about twice the cost, which overall still isn't THAT bad. For me that would be $600 of tires vs $300. Back to your first post you hit it on the head with the tires. I like the variety and competition in touring right now.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:13 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

235 4wd, got one and I like it alot.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:30 AM   #11
Tech Champion

modellor-I consistently put my Nitro TC3 in with a time that would put me in the A-main in 1/8th scale at our club. No where near the TQ-mind you , but faster than 3 to 5 of the 1/8th scales!!!

Its just sad that a class with this much potential is doing so pooorly. We have easily doubled the size of our class at our club for this summer-which is Great!!! but if it doesnt catch on as a ROAR NAtional event or IFMAR World class-its not gonna last.

I would love to see an NAtional championship for this class-as opposed to always being an exhibition class!!! But-with the state of ROAR -I am not holding my breath. The European/Asia blocks probably just laugh at our ROAR commitiee!!

I think the Winter NAts in Ft. Myers will be a good showing of 235mm 4wd cars.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:22 PM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Thumbs up

I love them!! At our track, on paper it doesn't look like the TC are that much slower, but in reality on the track, they(200mm) can't keep up.

It the bigger rear tires that make the big difference. We have tried to start a 235mm Outlaw Touring class going to! They're quite fun!

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 07:39 PM   #13

The class has got its spot for sure. I think it's more a question of the quantity of drivers to run it. Most people run 1/8 or 200 mm now. I think its a case of too many classes to some degree. 200 mm draws in a lot of newcomers, it got me racing again 4 years ago after I was done with school because it was cheap to get into and with the rubber tires was great for unprepared parking lots. Now that I have been racing competitive gas on-road for the past few years I can see the reality of the costs and 235 4wd seems OK, but I will probably go to 1/8 next too, although that's a few years off.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:57 PM   #14
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I think that the elimination of the 200mm "Outlaw" foam class would lead to the resurgence of the 235mm class.
It used to be that the 235mm class was a "stepping stone" towards the almighty 1/8 class but it seems like the 200mm "Outlaw" class has inherited that position. At our track, the Big block "Super" class didn't help things either.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 09:07 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you want to drive something really friggin fast. put a 21 in an impact. OMG