R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-15-2002, 12:05 AM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HEYALIGNMENTGUY Send a message via Yahoo to HEYALIGNMENTGUY

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
you want to drive something really friggin fast. put a 21 in an impact. OMG
I saw one at ACE hobbies, OMG
HEYALIGNMENTGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 12:08 AM   #17
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HEYALIGNMENTGUY Send a message via Yahoo to HEYALIGNMENTGUY

I myself have one and it is a fun car to drive, just wish there where more in the area to run with, I have to go about an hour just to get on a big enough track.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:28 AM   #18
Tech Master

I am for racing 235mm 4x4 next year but I have to travel a round trip of 300miles for the closest and to race in the UK Championship it will cost me around 1000 ($1570) just to cover the cost of travelling on the boat. But I have nitro in my vanes instead of blood and the cost doesn't matter.

I like the 200mm Outlaw class also but it just isn't the same. Too much prep time involved and everything has to be precision set. When we raced 1:8th with the BMT 891 you could have set it on the track half set up and still put in FTD's one after the other. I say kill the 200mm Touring class and increase the numbers in 235mm and 200mm Outlaw.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 02:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY
I myself have one and it is a fun car to drive, just wish there where more in the area to run with, I have to go about an hour just to get on a big enough track.
A whole hour! OMG
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 10:28 AM   #20
Tech Master

I don't think you will have to kill the 200mm touring class, It will die by its self.
I myself have not bought rubber tires in over a year for my Kyosho car, Foams are way more consistant and less of a head ache.(you dont have to glue them)
At my track there is only 2 class's of nitro being run, Outlaw foam and Super10, sometimes there will be a few Impacts thrown into the mix, but the track is too small for 235mm

I say leave the rubber tires on the real cars and electrics
Old 12-16-2002, 12:22 AM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Quote:
Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY
I don't think you will have to kill the 200mm touring class, It will die by its self.
I certainly hope the 200mm TC class won't die. I like it better than having to go out and outspend someone else because there isn't a motor limit or whatnot.

It's a great idea to provide a class for those who want more power, etc. It would be akin to the Sportsman Modified class in Electric. Basically, run whatcha brung. It's just not me.

btw, I'm finding foams for $13/pair and they're lasting me plenty and I'm turning in very good times. I guess that I just only turn them enough to a: make sure they're really true and b: give me just a TAD of overdrive. . .just a taaaad.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:41 AM   #22
Tech Initiate

200 mm sedan is not going to die, its too popular, and for good reason. It makes sense for the vast majority of us. It can cater to beginners and to experienced drivers. You can have an outlaw class to accomidate more seasoned racers that want more power and speed.
freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 07:44 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

200mm is a blast-and its a great class!!! SOmeday I'd like to go back to it, but I am wishing that the 235mm 4wd class really takes off!!!

Like 1/8th scale-everyone in 235mm 4wd has enough horsepower!! So its just a battle of driving. Heck-everyone basically runs the same car and body as well-so its even there too.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 08:21 AM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
200mm is a blast-and its a great class!!! SOmeday I'd like to go back to it, but I am wishing that the 235mm 4wd class really takes off!!!

Like 1/8th scale-everyone in 235mm 4wd has enough horsepower!! So its just a battle of driving. Heck-everyone basically runs the same car and body as well-so its even there too.
Thats what I believe it should all be about. Everyone on a level par and and using your driver and set up skills to be the best. But you will never get that and I myself have spents lots of money to keep in with the top runners here.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:00 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
Ray - same car, same body, but when RB comes out with a million-port .15 or someone figures out how to get a .21 to fit in the car. . .and figures out how to keep all four wheels on the ground with that much power. . .

It's going to be a motor/dollar race.

But it'll be FUN to watch!
Old 12-16-2002, 02:27 PM   #26
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

actually - I always thought the motor/dollar races were the electric "stock" classes where packs/motors are equally as important as driving skill.

In nitro 1/10, at least on the small and medium tracks , everybody has enough motor. It's driver/car/setup more than $$$ dropped - especially in 200mm outlaw.

The only way it becomes $$ issue is if you have a bunch of restrictive rules that force you to have to pay 120+ to a modifier in order to have a "legal" engine that's fast. Even then there are few tracks where the engine is the biggest factor to winning races. 200mm off-the shelf 5 port .12's with outlaw pipes can give all the power you need going up against high $$$ modifieds.

Since it's possible to run +35mm rears on a 200mm car, I'm wondering if the outlaw modified .12's will allow keep up with equally skilled impacts/835s/avance with big block turbos. I bet they can't be too far behind.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:33 PM   #27
Tech Elite

I agree with ya on the elec stock classes. I was just comparing the sportsman mod because of the "any motor" type of thing.

Are the modded motors still legal? I wondered about that.

I pretty much think that my stock MT12 is plenty fast for pretty much all I race. Of course I haven't tried one of the modded engines, but I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:25 PM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
I agree with ya on the elec stock classes. I was just comparing the sportsman mod because of the "any motor" type of thing.

Are the modded motors still legal? I wondered about that.

I pretty much think that my stock MT12 is plenty fast for pretty much all I race. Of course I haven't tried one of the modded engines, but I'm pretty happy with it.

yeah, the modded motors are legal which is why the ROAR rules in 200mm sedan have got to be the silliest. That's why people pay all this money for Richey/Jtech/JP and other mods, because they want to get the power "legally" that they could get off the shelf in a 5 port turbo for a little over half the price. But ROAR wants to outlaw six dollar "turbo" plugs because they're too expensive

235 2wd is dead, and if 200mm outlaw can keep up with 235 4wd then .15 open will die before 200mm does. There aren't but what, 2 companies making 235 cars anymore? I'm very interested in seeing how this pans out.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:33 PM   #29
Tech Master

There are at least 4 companies still making the 235mm 4x4 cars.

Serpent, Picco, STS, Team Magic and ?????. You can still get cars from Mugen and Neo and there are parts still available to keep these cars running for a couple of years yet. This class is starting to grow again especially in Europe and if it continues more manufacturers will design more of these cars.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:02 PM   #30
Tech Master

I knew about serpent and STS but I didn't know picco was still making their 235mm (I knew they were making an new 1/8 integra)....and who is Team Magic? Where to find info on them?

I hope the class grows, the more the merrier, if it grows and my 200mm outlaw can't keep up I'm sure I'll get one.

I don't see it growing again yet in the U.S. though, if anything I see it dieing off.....there were only 34 235mm entries at the ROAR open nationals 2 weeks ago. I don't see any major club still racing 2WD outside of north texas.