R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   kind of tire (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/10644-kind-tire.html)

Saleen S7 12-11-2002 08:08 PM

kind of tire

what kind of tire should i get for my Nitro RS4 3 type s. im a rookie so be gentle lol

popsracer 12-11-2002 09:51 PM

Check this thread out

Saleen S7;

There was a good thread about tires for parking lot racing a few weeks ago. Go back a few pages and look for "Tire Choice for Parking lot racing"

jason102276 12-12-2002 02:04 PM

i would use foam tires if you can they are unbeatable in performance

if you must use rubber i have had good luck with sorex tires before yokomo werent bad either i used hpi insets with both

hpi x-pattern tires are great for playing

ive been kinda wanting to try the medial pro tires that dont use an insert they look like they would last a while

RClover 12-12-2002 06:24 PM

Originally posted by jason102276
i would use foam tires if you can they are unbeatable in performance

if you must use rubber i have had good luck with sorex tires before yokomo werent bad either i used hpi insets with both

hpi x-pattern tires are great for playing

ive been kinda wanting to try the medial pro tires that dont use an insert they look like they would last a while

what tyre are you running? what's the combination? 42 Front 40 rear?
I play at a parking lot which is quite bumpy and the surface is rough...
thanks

modellor 12-12-2002 06:37 PM

Just stick to rubber tires. For that type of surface the Proline V-Rage work pretty well.

2Hard2Handle 12-12-2002 10:00 PM

i think the rs4 3 comes with the x patteren tires so it sould be a great tires cuz my bro got some and it havent been tore up yet

popsracer 12-12-2002 10:37 PM

Medal Pro tires

I have some Medal Pro (IAS/AIS?) tires in soft compound and the only thing that I could get them to work on was concrete with my electric car.
I don't know of another single person that uses them.

My top 3 tire choices are;

Sorex: 36R's. Work good hot or cold. Especially on sealed asphalt. Sorex tires mount very nice.

Yokomo: 138G and 138GF's. A good rough asphalt tire.

Take-Off: 27CS's. Good all around tire. Great on concrete.

My Comments; ( I would probably not buy these myself anymore)

Pro-line: S-3's. Great grip, wear very fast. Great on concrete. Hard to mount cleanly.

Pro-line: S-2's. Fair grip, better wear. Better on electric cars.

HPI: "Pro" compound Tires. Fair grip, wear fast.

HPI: "R" series tires. Better grip, way too narrow of a temperature range for each compound.

Inserts;

I like to use HPI inserts in all of my tires. Great selection of insert hardness. (5)

jason102276 12-13-2002 09:52 AM

i use mugen fast foam tires 40 front and 40 rear

RClover 12-13-2002 07:04 PM

Me too...

Originally posted by jason102276
i use mugen fast foam tires 40 front and 40 rear
ahh...i am running the same compound 40 front and 40 rear but they are Ennetti foam tyres. I found the handling is good at corners.
But one thing tough, the rear tyres are wearing faster than the front tyres...i am running 25T middle-side pulley in my V-1-R.
Perhaps i had some wheel spin at the sweeper when entering and the outer edge of rim and tyres rubbed and chipped (like dog bite). the rear tyres are now 3-3.5mm thinkness.
But, I had my camber set at -5 already, its max...!!!

popsracer 12-13-2002 07:43 PM

Foam tire wear

RClover;

The Chipping/Chunking is caused by hitting the boards with the sidewalls of the tires. Some people put CA on the sidewalls to try and stop the chunking.

The Rears wearing more than the fronts is normal. Try going to 42 shore all around and adjust your set-up for more steering if you need it. Always try and run the hardest compound that you can and still have decent traction. This will help the wear problem.

Team_Akina_1 12-13-2002 08:47 PM

Re: Medal Pro tires

Originally posted by popsracer

My top 3 tire choices are;

Yokomo: 138G and 138GF's. A good rough asphalt tire.

Im also running a set of 138G med. They works great of rough asphalt, and provide acceptable traction. I'm also running on 40 sh all around on ellgi foam, I will start using 45 and 42 on the next race. BTW has anyone run hard yokomo 138ghz?

popsracer 12-13-2002 10:00 PM

Yokomo 138G's

The Yokomo 138G's are indeed one of the best Rough asphalt tires availible. The "F's" work when the track temperature exceeds 100.F and the "H's" 120.F and above. The "F" & "H" compounds work really well in Nitro cars because they tend to heat tires up more than an Electric car.
For Smooth/sealed Asphalt; Sorex's are the way to go. The 36R's are the best all around for cool to hot weather (65.F to 120.F).
The other Sorex compounds don't seem to have as much grip as the 36R's when used on a Nitro car.

popsracer 12-13-2002 10:08 PM

Yokomo tires

Team_Akina_1;

I see that you are in Sunny CA.

It is probably too cold this time of year to be able to use the 138GH's. The GF's should work as long as the Sun stays out to keep the track warm. Otherwise for overcast or evening racing, I would use the 138G's. If it's really cold (below 60.F), I've had good luck with the 136M's, but they will overheat quickly in warmer temeratures.

Take-Off tires are about equal in grip to the Yokomos. The 27CS compound is probably equal to the 138G. But the Take-Offs will work well on Concrete and Smooth asphalt where the yokomo's will not.

RClover 12-14-2002 12:36 AM

Re: Foam tire wear

Originally posted by popsracer
RClover;

The Chipping/Chunking is caused by hitting the boards with the sidewalls of the tires. Some people put CA on the sidewalls to try and stop the chunking.

The Rears wearing more than the fronts is normal. Try going to 42 shore all around and adjust your set-up for more steering if you need it. Always try and run the hardest compound that you can and still have decent traction. This will help the wear problem.

thanks for the tips...i just got some UFRA foam tyres...they are 42s and 40s...the foams looks a little softer than Ennetti and Ellegi ones...hope they are much durable...

Brett 12-14-2002 12:47 AM

Ennetties are shit foams

sorex and kawaharas are good foams

just a bit of experiance ;)