R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
NICAD is going to overcharge your NIMH battery.

Have you tried just restarting the charge process yet? I had an old battery just yesterday only take 200mah and it barely would go up in voltage....went up , then went immediatly flat , then started dropping.

I said watch this , restarted it just once and bam....it stayed flat then 5 minutes later started to slowly climb and I was about to get 1200mah into it. My pack was a 1400 mah pack. Worked perfect!

Id really like to hear your results , this is what most everyone does or suggests. Just try the recharge and it should take.

I have but each time it will only charge for a few hundred seconds. I called Hobbico today and they said to send it back to them. We will see when it comes back. Thanks
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #17

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Didnt you say you also had a novak? Also why are you waiting for another charger to come back with you have another charger doing the same thing.

This all point to the batteries. Take the batteries into your hobby shop , they should tell you.

Also how many times did you try re-charging? 2-3? Ive had to do it sometimes that many. Just keep an eye on the heat and keep doing it, it will charge...then after that first initial weird charge it will do fine with no false peaking afterwards.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:59 PM   #18
Tech Master

I have also had some really messed up batteries. I left my radio plugged in for 2 weeks on the wall charger and it has NiMah batteries. Next race day, it wouldn't hold a charge and kept running down. I only made it through by fast charging before every heat. After I got home, I equalized the cells and cycled 7 or 8 times before it finally came back. I though the batteries were toast, but now they are fine.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Didnt you say you also had a novak? Also why are you waiting for another charger to come back with you have another charger doing the same thing.

This all point to the batteries. Take the batteries into your hobby shop , they should tell you.

Also how many times did you try re-charging? 2-3? Ive had to do it sometimes that many. Just keep an eye on the heat and keep doing it, it will charge...then after that first initial weird charge it will do fine with no false peaking afterwards.
About 7 times. I even got a second pack thinking that it was the batteries.

I just talked to Novak and he told me to charge the 1400 in the Ni-Cad mode with the voltage thresh hold all the way down and it will work fine. He said that the 1400 NiMH packs are very touchy.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #20

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Ok now discharge it and charge it again. Wait till it gets warm. Dishcarge again. Theres no way it wont take a charge like normal once you cycle it a few times.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Just wanted to say thanks and that you guys where right. After charging and discharging the pack on the fourth time it worked perfectly. 1543mh in 5542 seconds at 8.0 volts. I ended up doing the same to the first pack and it is fine also, so now I have a spare pack. Thanks again Mike
Old 03-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

I use Novak Millenium and Millenium Pro Chargers for all of my batteries. For stubborn NiMH packs, set it on NiCd at .5A and set the threshhold (cutoff) to 13mV/cell. You will not overcharge them, just watch the temp. Once they get fairly warm, pull 'em. I have been charging batts with these chargers and using this method for years and it works fine.

Another thing you can do if you do not want to watch you batts for temp is get them started like I mentioned to where they are taking a solid charge, then switch them over to NiMH. I personally do all of my small cells on NiCd and bump up the cutoff without issue. Not sure why you would want to lower the cutoff voltage. That will make it false peak even easier.
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote