R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2006, 07:28 PM   #31
Tech Adept
 
nitrothugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago by way of NY
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwk1
I have this one from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47257

They work great.
i have that one as well - but i got it from Menards
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #32
Tech Master
 
performula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CO
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

The Mitutoyo 700-126 ($40) looks great, even if plastic.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #33
Tech Master
 
performula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CO
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I have a Hudy All In One should a caliper be a concern? The instructions wanted the pivot balls mounted at 3.1 and 3.2 or just do it with the board? Cause it would get fixed on the board anyway...

The linkages are a concern.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:28 PM   #34
Tech Champion
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,212
Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula
The Mitutoyo 700-126 ($40) looks great, even if plastic.
Can't tell you what it looks like, but it SOUNDS more than twice as expensive as the Harbor Freight stainless digital caliper. DON'T over-think this, it ain't rocket science.

And yes, I always have a caliper handy for stuff--helps confirm lengths, diameters, etc. And at under $20 each I've got a caliper in my race box, another one on my "inside" bench and a third one on my "garage" bench. These are all in addition to my Hudy 1/10 and 1/8 set-up stations.

Scottrik
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:05 PM   #35
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ..... still far from heaven!
Posts: 1,407
Send a message via MSN to ickvanovs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula
The Mitutoyo 700-126 ($40) looks great, even if plastic.
mitutoyo is one of the world best measuing gauge company.
their caliper sensitivity/tolerance is up to 0.0001mm
so its very accurate
ickvanovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #36
Tech Champion
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,212
Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickvanovs
mitutoyo is one of the world best measuing gauge company.
their caliper sensitivity/tolerance is up to 0.0001mm
so its very accurate
The Mituyo products are unquestionably very good. Couple concerns though:

Are you certain about the .0001mm in a CALIPER? .0001" (one ten-thousandth of an inch) is small enough that thermal expansion/contraction is an issue so you have to control environment. Plus holding things by hand at those levels introduces it's own whole set of inaccuracies, hence the use of precision fixtures and non hand-held tools, etc. I'm not aware (though I won't say "no such thing" of a caliper that measures at .0001" (though the HF one reads out at .0005" steps)...and .0001mm is, what, 96+% smaller than even the .0001"!! That would be somewhere close to .00001" if I'm doing the math in my head right (check me on this, it's been a LONG day).

What in our RC application is held to even .001"? Certainly not anything molded, and most of the machined stuff probably varies by that much too. The only thing truly "precision" in our hobby are engine tolerances.

Again, you can get the most accurate device in the known universe, it can be endorsed by NASA if you like. If you've got nothing but money to spend for crap you don't need you should run right out and buy one. But for what we're doing it just isn't a functional requirement.

Scottrik
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:23 PM   #37
Tech Master
 
performula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CO
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Scottrik,

After front end assembly on my WCE, I can see what you mean. Any type of self tapping process will never be precise, off at slight angles, molds aren't exact, etc.

The Harbor Freight piece will do fine. Thanks.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #38
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ..... still far from heaven!
Posts: 1,407
Send a message via MSN to ickvanovs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
The Mituyo products are unquestionably very good. Couple concerns though:

Are you certain about the .0001mm in a CALIPER? .0001" (one ten-thousandth of an inch) is small enough that thermal expansion/contraction is an issue so you have to control environment. Plus holding things by hand at those levels introduces it's own whole set of inaccuracies, hence the use of precision fixtures and non hand-held tools, etc. I'm not aware (though I won't say "no such thing" of a caliper that measures at .0001" (though the HF one reads out at .0005" steps)...and .0001mm is, what, 96+% smaller than even the .0001"!! That would be somewhere close to .00001" if I'm doing the math in my head right (check me on this, it's been a LONG day).

What in our RC application is held to even .001"? Certainly not anything molded, and most of the machined stuff probably varies by that much too. The only thing truly "precision" in our hobby are engine tolerances.

Again, you can get the most accurate device in the known universe, it can be endorsed by NASA if you like. If you've got nothing but money to spend for crap you don't need you should run right out and buy one. But for what we're doing it just isn't a functional requirement.

Scottrik

hehe yeah, i think its not worth buying mitutoyo only for rc
the price is quite high compare to other brand...
mitutoyo is more for industrial purpose
ickvanovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic
 
tpczx6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fremont CA
Posts: 845
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I got mine at pep boys for 14.99 came with case and spare batt my dad was a machinest for 37years before he passed away I have all his stuff and I use his only for fine work but the ones I got from pepboys is just as accurate as my dads stuff and for doing tires or setup they are great it will do MM and In with just a push of the button
__________________
RcAmerica--Xray---Hudy----KO PROPO USA---ORCA---GRAVITY RC
Motiv------Apexrc----- AVID
SWEEP Racing USA
Mike's Hobbyshop in Dallas (RIP)
Nor-Cal Hobbies [The Race Place]
tpczx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #40
Tech Master
 
performula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CO
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpczx6
I got mine at pep boys for 14.99 came with case and spare batt my dad was a machinest for 37years before he passed away I have all his stuff and I use his only for fine work but the ones I got from pepboys is just as accurate as my dads stuff and for doing tires or setup they are great it will do MM and In with just a push of the button
Metric?
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:40 AM   #41
Tech Elite
 
EdwardN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys,
I will sugest you to visit this web site-www.altraco.com
We just bought there some inside micrometers (0.001 mm resolution). I know that is special and doesn't need for general hobby, but they do have regular calipers and other mesuring tool. Quality is pretty good and pricing is unbeatble.
Edward
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:56 AM   #42
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 492
Default

here is the one at harbor freight still on sale.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47257

here is the one from altraco
http://www.altraco.com/IndustrialEle...cCalipers.html
baih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #43
Tech Champion
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,212
Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardN
pricing is unbeatble.
You ARE kidding, right?

Hmmm...let me see...

I can buy one caliper from Altraco, or darn nearly FOUR from Harbor Freight...FOR THE SAME DARN CALIPER!!

Or just buy one caliper and get a set of tires for my buggy, or a new brushless motor for one of my planes, take the wife out for dinner because she's such a good sport about me wasting so much time on toy cars and airplanes, or...

I give up, ya got me beat. I'll have to go with the one from Altraco because I'll NEVER be able to make up my mind what to do with the extra fifty bucks.

75 percent of the stuff Harbor Freight sells is pretty marginal even for home use (go ahead and feel the "action" on their $150 12" compound sliding mitre saw...and see why the DeWalt tool is a bargain at $500), but the calipers there are DEFINITELY in the 25% that is really pretty good. And at $16 THAT'S unbeatable pricing!

Scottrik

Last edited by Scottrik; 05-09-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #44
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 492
Default

since there is a harbor freight store near me i can go see the tools. after buying two of their brand power tools and not lasting a weekend i was able to take it back to the store. easy to refund since they get to know you.
i never buy their brand of power tools anymore. but they do carry name brand power tools. things like gloves, zip ties, little paint brushes
(throw away type) air hoses, extension cords. (12 guage 25ft) goes on sale for about $7.99 is pretty hard to beat.
see if you can sign up for their sales.
baih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #45
Tech Master
 
performula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CO
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I went to the local HF and was very surprised on the quality for $16.99. Best $17 I have spent in a long time.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
--> Digital Caliper <-- tc3blue R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 07-05-2007 12:01 PM
DIGITAL CALIPER (New) juhn X R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 22 03-07-2007 04:14 PM
FS: 6" Caliper micros_rock R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 05-09-2005 08:00 PM
FS: 6" Caliper micros_rock R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 05-02-2005 07:56 PM
HPI Sport2 - die hard, mega hard ! Cole Trickle Electric On-Road 6 07-07-2002 12:40 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:49 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net