R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-19-2006, 06:37 AM   #61
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Yeah thats the one I have. Im debating on if im going to keep it.
I have that one also. I have had it for over a year but I am selling it and getting a Hudy. It's time to upgrade.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #62

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide_228
Had a Hudy auto one and it worked fantastic for me for many years and it finally quit on me. I still get good $$$ when selling it since it is such well built and the guy who bought it he says he can get parts to fix it. Then I went for Integy as it is a lot smaller and more compact. I ahve to say I was a bit disappointed because the motor is not as powerful and I cannot do the cutting in 1 run while I am popping fuses or drag the motor to a dead stop. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and decide to do some modification. I replaced the pee wee motor with a hudy one and it worked great, replaced stock cutter with Hudy cutter and now is complete. I bought the truer cheaper but then I have to spend extra US$100 to make it work the way I wanted. Next time I will go back to Hudy again, no doubt
Thats the best review so far. Thank you. Yeah this is the thing I was worried about. At first people were talking about cuts, which I wasnt worried about. But its things like this that make the cheap stuff not worth getting. Now I can see where the price difference comes into effect.

Question to all. Is hudy the only one with a high torque motor? Who else has one?
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

I'm still going to use my Integy in the mean time.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #64
Tech Regular

I'm using the 3Racing Truer. For a casual racer like myself it's fine. On practice days it's fine too. Decent quality at a decent price. I fit it with a Hudy cutter and got rid of the tire rounding tool (which I found useless). I also had to tighten all the screws to keep it from falling apart. Either than that, if you're just starting to cross over from parking lot/street racer to pro-style racing, it's a good choice.

On the other hand, if you're hardcore, semi-pro (i.e. you drive like a pro but it's not your dayjob) go for the Hudy. On race day, I use a Hudy (our team collected some money and bought one, which we all share). I have compared the 2 truers side-by-side (Hudy vs. 3Racing) and the Hudy definitely cuts a lot faster than the 3Racing. Even with speed cranked up to full, the 3Racing lags behind. On race day I don't have a lot of time so even 20 seconds slower per tire can seem like forever. It's time I can't afford to waste. The Hudy cuts a bit more accurately too. By fitting the Hudy blade to the 3Racing truer, the 3Racing scale is off by about 11mm. So I usually need to do a cut and measure twice to get the right size. With Hudy it's typically 1 cut and measure. Once again, it saves me time.

As for quality, I don't think I've ever owned a Hudy product that let me down. Can't say that for 3Racing.
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:59 AM   #65

How many passes are you guys doing per tire?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Default My first tire true!!!

Man did integy decide to use a mini laser light for the power light or what?! WTH? This is the light from about 7ft away.

The leftovers of two rear stock MRX4 tires. I got em down to 70mm both. I cut from left to right and I went twice before it was a good cut. To collect the debris I used a 10th pan car body that I had laying around. Not quite sure though if it may be for 235mm or so though. The truer also came with 6 xtra blades for the thing which is pretty sweet...although they look different than stock and or sharper. I wonder if the LHS guys slipped in some Hudy blades for me. They are blue in color. In all I found the truer to be not a problem and for clean cuts I went in increments of .5mm to be on the same side as this was new for me. I have used lathes in mechanics class though and we were taught to go little at a time for the best finish. The truer seems really great and well worth the $$. It comes with a nice carrying case, inside the lid theres elastic bands to hold tools, spare blades come with it, and it can be set on auto or done manual. The only thing it's missing is that collect tray...the hudy has one. I think the power light though may be a possible lawsuit...LMAO! Hopefully it won't burn a hole in my shirt if I stood too close or give me eye damage.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

I've had a Cobra Trackside 110V unit, a Hudy (not fully auto) and the auto Integy one. I liked the Hudy, but it wasnt' fully auto, and the Integy one, I only complaint I have is that the blade adjuster backs off if try to cut too much. Other than that, I like the Integy. I've had mine a year and I found that Tile Cuting blades with the tunsten carbide edge works great for a very clean finnish, but I you just get regular "laser" cut hack-saw blades, it provides a very nice finnish, though you have to replace the blade after about 10 sets of tires (40) I cut my own hack-saw blades down for the Integy truer and for the 25 you get from one hack-saw blade, it is cheap enough to keep me very happy. A budy of mine has the Hudy and together, the Integy was only a minute slower for a set of 4. I can live with that.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:07 PM   #68
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
How many passes are you guys doing per tire?

Typically, with a front tire, I will true it down to around 60mm from 64-65mm. I will usually make 4 passes to get there with the Integy. I got the Hudy last night and I am going to try it tonight.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Jag- do you run 8th onroad? What size do you do for fronts and rears?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #70

The new rc car action has a tire truing article with the integy and if you read the first bit you can kinda tell it was geared towards the problematic integys.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:52 PM   #71
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Jag- do you run 8th onroad? What size do you do for fronts and rears?
I only run 1/10 right now. I have cut 1/8 tires on my Integy but I can't remember what size.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:49 PM   #72
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

For the money I'm very happy with he Integy- cutting 1/8th tires. I true my rears down to 76mm in one pass. Front tires are a little harder and take two passes to get down to 69mm. I fitted it with a Hudy bit and made a handy chart for the top of my truer case.

The file attachment is in MS Word. See the difference in dial settings vs. actual result with the HUDY bit (and camber settings).

I had a manual Hudy truer and just wanted a "decent" Auto truer. I was not prepared to shell out $400 for a Hudy Auto truer. I picked up the Integy for $120 right here on the FS forum- then I found a NIP Hudy bit for $20 shipped.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Integy Tire Truer.doc (24.0 KB, 120 views)
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i've got the eagle racing SCORPION #1800 auto truer with hudy cutter and it does a good job but unless i run it at 15v it slows down to a stop if i try to cut off too much
Old 04-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #74
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong
For the money I'm very happy with he Integy- cutting 1/8th tires. I true my rears down to 76mm in one pass. Front tires are a little harder and take two passes to get down to 69mm. I fitted it with a Hudy bit and made a handy chart for the top of my truer case.

The file attachment is in MS Word. See the difference in dial settings vs. actual result with the HUDY bit (and camber settings).

I had a manual Hudy truer and just wanted a "decent" Auto truer. I was not prepared to shell out $400 for a Hudy Auto truer. I picked up the Integy for $120 right here on the FS forum- then I found a NIP Hudy bit for $20 shipped.

I just got a used Hudy Auto Truer and all I can say is WOW! That thing is awesome. It cuts very well, the measurements on the bit are accurate and reproduceable, 1 pass will easily cut 3mm off (that's the most I tried). The quality of the cut is much better than I was able to get with my Integy even with the same blade. I am impressed.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:13 PM   #75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Other than the Automatic and Case feature the Excellent and the Power are the same? The Automatic would be great, but the Power has one less thing to break (internal motor at base).

Who has the best prices/service these fine Truers?
performula is offline   Reply With Quote