R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Hudy seems to be the racer's choice at many of the races in my area..

Remember you will get what you pay for. It is not very wise to think you will pay a little and get a lot. I seem to get sucked into that spend a little get a lot vortex every time only to be disapointed some time down the road. The way I try to look at it, if I spend the money for the more expensive item I will always get a great item. I may be paying extra for the name or reputation but I will be getting a great product. After saying all that I do like my sons integy tools better than my hudy's.
rc racing dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Still looking at the fact I can sell the Hudy tire truer for $200 if I ever do quit 8th onroad and maybe go to say 8th onroad depending where I move to and such and what's near. Integy I can get sure, but I already got a $50 discount on the Hudy tire truer, and the lhs had problems ordering from integy. Parts for my R40 were out of stock for a while or never came in. Anyone have opinion on the tires? To recap basically I just have a choice of 37 shore foams available for me at $25 a set. Most racers like 35 shore. I'm getting these for a sick price....basically 6.50 or so a tire. Anyone think I can go with them before they ship them back?
Old 03-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #18

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Still looking at the fact I can sell the Hudy tire truer for $200 if I ever do quit 8th onroad and maybe go to say 8th onroad depending where I move to and such and what's near. Integy I can get sure, but I already got a $50 discount on the Hudy tire truer, and the lhs had problems ordering from integy. Parts for my R40 were out of stock for a while or never came in. Anyone have opinion on the tires? To recap basically I just have a choice of 37 shore foams available for me at $25 a set. Most racers like 35 shore. I'm getting these for a sick price....basically 6.50 or so a tire. Anyone think I can go with them before they ship them back?
Im sure it does have close to a 200 dollar resale. I can see the integy going for 100 used.

Making it out of pocket 100 lost for hudy and 50 lost for integy with less intial investment. Id get what tire works , not what tire is cheap. I played that game on tires and this is where you want what just works. I knew better , but had to try. Price has nothing to do with tires quality.

Some tires are just exspensive, you can partly thank the name game on that one. Some companies just want more profit or market differently. Go with what people in your area reccomend , regardless of cost. If its a cheap tire , be happy if its exspensive thats how it goes. Id test around before you invest. Tires is what connects you to the road. This is very important item. Lots believe "the" most important item due to what I stated above. From real cars to RC , tires are what makes the car handle. You have wrong shore or wrong tire....you cant overcome with even the best setup.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 03-12-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Hey Rookie long time no see! How's it going? Yeah I figure the Hudy would have a better resale value...though I doubt I'd get out of 8th for a while. ALso for a tire question instead of opening another thread, my LHS has SPider tyres..their brand of foams and IMO it worked pretty great for me..sedan wise. They have them for 8th and if I buy 5 Sets or so...I'd get them for $25 a set. Only problem is...they are 37 shore. I know most 8th guys like 35 shore, but I heard it's a preference. I have some 37 shore in my boxes now and will try them out if it's nice out tomorrow. Anyone think I should go for them considering it is basicalyl $6.50 a tire?
HKD....SUP man.....yeah, its been a while...winter = NO RC for me...but I managed to wasted $500 for a FK05 to collect dust....stupid me...but a nice car to watch when it is still NIB.

About the 8th foams...well, foams are foams, 37S are not WAY out to the spec, when you have some high traction track, you can definitely use it, or may be some advantage over those who only stock 35s (like me)....and $25 for a set....can't beat it.

However, if you are looking for some decent foams, the new SERPENT foams are definitely the choice for the quality and the price.....only thing is, are you running MUGEN or KYOSHO....? If you are...sorry, we cannot be friend no more (just kidding..)

About your Truer...yes, get the mid-range HUDY truner, I think with the arber and cutter, should run you BELOW $300....but you have to do the manual rolling, for some ppl, it is not a big deal.
The 3Racing and Integy one are a very good bargain, saw a lot of ppl using it....and for $250 and did everything like my $450 Hudy Automatic, you just can't justify why would I pay the extra $200 for the exact (close to) same thing....but again, HUDY might worth the extra $200....just depends on who you are talking to.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:23 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Get hudy set up...
Joe Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Heya Rookie! Yep, you are definately right. I tried them out on my local track and indeed they are great!

here they are

close up

Really needed a second hand to get the action shots, but I'm just really amazed at how well the these cars handle compared to nitro sedan! Indeed my scientific approach at how to drive one and such was right! The track is pretty clean most of the time and has a lot of traction. My old track always had dust and such which sucks for practice days. Only race days they really clean the track.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

I am glad you like 1/8th....that was exactly how I felt when I drove someone else 1/8th....even with ZERO (actually I think it was totally off) SETTING....it is still very difficult to get those 1/8th HARD to drive at all....unfortunitely we do not have a big enough track back then for us to run 1/8th, so I have to "SUFFER" the nightmare of the 1/10th 200mm touring car...

Untill last year, the wait is OVER....immediately, I sold all my Serpent 200mm, my R40 , my NTC3...BYE BYE TC....and only left myself a 705 for memory, my 235mm 835 (will never sell that one)...my brand new VETEQ (piece of high tech history) and will spend all my time and money on the 950R....

Sorry to see you are running MOOOOOOOOOOGEN.....(ha ha, I am kidding again, those 4 are quick as hell...)
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Heya Rookie! Yep, you are definately right. I tried them out on my local track and indeed they are great!

here they are

close up

Really needed a second hand to get the action shots, but I'm just really amazed at how well the these cars handle compared to nitro sedan! Indeed my scientific approach at how to drive one and such was right! The track is pretty clean most of the time and has a lot of traction. My old track always had dust and such which sucks for practice days. Only race days they really clean the track.
Looking very nice.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:55 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Ok, so I'm racing on a budget. I bought an Integy Truecut Light Truing Machine. It only does 1/10 touring tires, and it is manual feed. There are no instructions included nor at Integy's website. The cutter sits at a 45 degree angle, the top is towards the outside of the tire when the tire is mounted on the truer.

My question is; does it matter if you cut outside in or inside out??
BimmerDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:57 PM   #25

You mean left to right or right to left.

You do both if thats what you mean. Just back and forth. Leave it set and do all 4 tires so they all match perfect.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:44 AM   #26
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
My only option is the Hudy. I'm still looking at the resale value and reliability. The LHS doensn't order from 3racing. Anyone have an opinions on the tires?
If you are cutting 1/8 tires I would definetly go with the Hudy. I have an Integy and it works pretty well for 1/10 & 1/12 but not so good for 1/8. The motor is not that strong and the 1/8 rear tires bearly fit. I'm not knocking the Integy but for 1/8 you should get the Hudy. I'm thinking about selling my Integy and getting a Hudy. I can only cut around 1 to 1.5mm at a time. With the Hudy you can cut much more.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hudy fully automatic, hands down. When you try to do 1 cut, other brands will bog that the motor actually stops turning. I haven't cut 1/8th tires for a long time, but I can do 1 cut on new 1/10th nitro tires even down to 56/58mm on the Hudy with no bogging. When it comes down to if I need tires in a hurry at the track, I want to do only 1 cut on tires. The money on a Hudy fully automatic was worth it.

Dom
Old 04-08-2006, 09:23 AM   #28

Hmm you might be right about that. So with the hudy. Is there one that does 1/10th and 1/8th or do you need a different one.

Where is a good place to get the hudy for cheap? The fully automatic one...or basically the best.

Ive been using my integy now. It seems to work alright but there seems to be some issues. Allthough the cut seems to come out good....it does need a couple of passes. I might try a hudy for the hell of it to see if there really is a good reason for its price. But at this moment Im thinking the integy could have done better. Ive checked over a few kits too. It seems there kinda slack on the final assembly. A few of them all had loose screws. I had to even open them up to align them and tighten the motors down.

They may be tire cutters but I think now I see why some suggest hudy over others. Its not the cut of the tire , but the user friendliness and quality of the tire truer thats getting me.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #29
Tech Elite

The 3Racing Automatic Tire Truer looks incredibly similar ( ) to the Hudy. At a $210 street price, maybe the 3Racing is a better bargin.

Seriously. Either 3Racing made it for Hudy and they have their "own" version or it's a copycat. Just look at the fuses, switches, speed knob and layout. With a few exceptions its virtually the same thing. Unless someone says otherwise, I'll probably pick up this one.

3Racing: http://www.3racing.com.hk/manuals/tyre_truer.pdf (Right mouse click and download)

Hudy: http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...7&kategoria=62
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #30
Tech Elite

They might look similar, but again you really don't know the quality of the motor used inside the truer. I really doubt 3Racing made it for Hudy. The way the Hudy looks now, it's been like that for years. At one point they were actually batched as Serpent tire truer.

Dom