LiPo or LiFe battery for receiver?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Roelof
  • 1 Post By P2gee

LiPo or LiFe battery for receiver?

Old 08-21-2019, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default LiPo or LiFe battery for receiver?

Getting back to nitro cars and now needed to know what would be a better battery for the receiver.
I have read that Life has less issues compared to Lipo, but would like to hear from actual users.
I will be running 1/8 scale on road.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2019, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

A123 or LiFE
Old 08-21-2019, 10:57 PM
Tech Champion

LiPo is easier and cheaper to get. if all your electronics can handle high voltage then LiPo is no issue but you have to handle the pack with care.

LiFe is indeed safer but a tiny bit lower in voltage. It works perfect with 6v electronics.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I've been running nothing but lipos for the past 5 years. As long as you keep an eye on the voltage levels, you should be fine. No false peaks like ni-mh or battery memory etc...

Make sure your servos are HV compatible and enjoy the extra power
Old 08-22-2019, 12:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Motolite battery sabi ni Paquao.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cansoykal View Post
I've been running nothing but lipos for the past 5 years. As long as you keep an eye on the voltage levels, you should be fine. No false peaks like ni-mh or battery memory etc...

Make sure your servos are HV compatible and enjoy the extra power
I am still using NiMh because of some bad experiences with LiFe batteries, the balance cable with all was floating arround comming between the belt or even under the chassis. And with one it did not survive the winter stop. So back to NiMh with which I can do 3 years w/o any issues. Even no hussle with taking it out and charge it in a LiPo back as most rules do say about Lithium batteries.
BigC2007 likes this.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

Been using LiFe packs in my RX and TX for many years now with no problems. Just be sure to unplug them from whatever they are operating between race events so there are no continuous memory drains. I know a lot of people use and have good luck using Li Po, but not for me. Putting a known volatile battery chemistry under a fuel tank with 125cc of methanol fuel is disaster waiting to happen. Have witnessed at least 2 nitro car LiPo fires ( one the car just exited the pits with a full tank) and trust me it will reduce your car to a melted puddle in the middle of the track.
the rc guy likes this.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by P2gee View Post
Been using LiFe packs in my RX and TX for many years now with no problems. Just be sure to unplug them from whatever they are operating between race events so there are no continuous memory drains. I know a lot of people use and have good luck using Li Po, but not for me. Putting a known volatile battery chemistry under a fuel tank with 125cc of methanol fuel is disaster waiting to happen. Have witnessed at least 2 nitro car LiPo fires ( one the car just exited the pits with a full tank) and trust me it will reduce your car to a melted puddle in the middle of the track.
Yeesh... 😳 And here I was thinking that Id like to take advantage of the additional torque/speed that the higher voltage operation provides. Is it any safer with only 75ml in a tank? 😂
Old 08-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
I am still using NiMh because of some bad experiences with LiFe batteries, the balance cable with all was floating arround comming between the belt or even under the chassis. And with one it did not survive the winter stop. So back to NiMh with which I can do 3 years w/o any issues. Even no hussle with taking it out and charge it in a LiPo back as most rules do say about Lithium batteries.
Same here been using NiMh for years without any issues on my 1/8 scale.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

NiMh here, not risking my cars over some minimal increase in voltage and such of a LiPo, just not worth it. And given I only run servos that are good for up to 6V (futaba) it works just fine, not to mention at their cost, having 4 or 5 on hand is just fine. We are trying a LiFe in my sons NT1, yet only because his servos are rated for higher voltages (sanwa) and his reflexes are better than mine!