Like Tree10Likes

SERPENT 989 VIPER

Old 08-25-2019, 02:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
With Infinity buying all top drivers that would be difficult.

Haha.... That is the truth, a shame for product development, although I am sure Merlin is doing his best along side Michael.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
True but I believe the last one I have seen was the LAB-7 in a complete different era of batteries, tires and motors.

In the past Serpent took credits of an own design while it was copied, Xray still does. Today Serpent is more carefull with that, no fancy stories, just publish the car. But I wonder why they have chosen for this and not the old style. The text with the picture:
New side belt tensioners improve clearance with the engine manifold. It also reduces vibrations on the sidebelt.

With Infinity buying all top drivers that would be difficult.
Well, “credit” is a different story altogether - That is cerrtainly something that would definitely be considered shameful. You never see anyone “take credit” for copying a design taken from a rival on the F1 grid - they either copy it if it benefits their car, or complain about it in an effort to get it banned. 😛

But sorry - too much topic stray, haha... Anyway, about the tensioner, I’m curious as to how it’s “dampened” to reduce vibration. Looking at the design for the 3rd damper, I’m wondering if it’s being added to supplement the other two shocks? The chassis still has the anti-roll bars, so it doesn’t seem to be meant to aid in any capacity there. Is the upcoming World’s track really bumpy by any chance? Only thing I can imagine is that it will aid in heave dampening/height management in bumps... Forgive my ignorance - I’m afraid that I missed that era of the hobby. I’m just coming back after a long hiatus in the hobby. But hey, I still remember the BMT 3-speed! 🙂
Old 08-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post

Well, “credit” is a different story altogether - That is cerrtainly something that would definitely be considered shameful. You never see anyone “take credit” for copying a design taken from a rival on the F1 grid - they either copy it if it benefits their car, or complain about it in an effort to get it banned. 😛

But sorry - too much topic stray, haha... Anyway, about the tensioner, I’m curious as to how it’s “dampened” to reduce vibration. Looking at the design for the 3rd damper, I’m wondering if it’s being added to supplement the other two shocks? The chassis still has the anti-roll bars, so it doesn’t seem to be meant to aid in any capacity there. Is the upcoming World’s track really bumpy by any chance? Only thing I can imagine is that it will aid in heave dampening/height management in bumps... Forgive my ignorance - I’m afraid that I missed that era of the hobby. I’m just coming back after a long hiatus in the hobby. But hey, I still remember the BMT 3-speed! 🙂
2019 worlds track is smooth as glass
Devlin likes this.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I could also argue that Mid motor mounting in electric touring cars have also been tried before, and yet - it seems to be all the rage with several companies recently developing conversion kits.

”Borrowing” from a rival manufacturer is nothing new. It has happened in this industry for years. The important takeaway is that everyone keeps working to improve their cars, and that benefits the end customer... Now, if only they could package the better driving skills of team drivers in a bottle. 😂
it's nice too see development be have the "sportsman" racers like me been left out ?. for example i'm just returning and will only get too run my 988 a couple times this summer. now i see a change, reminds me of buying a home computer a few years ago...obsolete before you get home. hope the importer keeps parts available.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
it's nice too see development be have the "sportsman" racers like me been left out ?. for example i'm just returning and will only get too run my 988 a couple times this summer. now i see a change, reminds me of buying a home computer a few years ago...obsolete before you get home. hope the importer keeps parts available.
People are still winning (club)races with older models, the 988 is not obsolete.
davidl, Devlin and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Got mine on order. Never underestimate Serpent. Elements from each car can be seen on others, so I personally could car less if a belt tensioner looks like a Mugen’s. Sometimes things are designed/developed which can’t be improved upon. Like saying all bicycle co’s are copying the original. Like the shocks for sure and rear bar replacement. 3rd shock reminds me of BMT’s, but honestly have a hard time wrapping my brain around the use. Softer outboard springs and/or bar with the addition of the heave shock? Can’t wait to get the box and start playing. Got a fresh GSR21 ready to go. Motor break-In dude liked how the GSR finished out VS the 2103.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:58 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

All the composite stuff which might break in a crash is the same as on the 988, so your good to go for a reasonable time.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

This is what anyone in any kind of Product Development would call a “running change”. Does it suck that you don’t get these parts in the kit you just bought? Yeah, sure. But at least in this case, it would be very easy to upgrade your existing car with them if you so desire... Heck, I’m sure that Serpent will offer an update kit at a reasonable price as well - at the very least, the third shock update is likely to get one. Either way, that’s a whole lot better than truly having a “discontinued” car.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

This is what anyone in any kind of Product Development would call a “running change”. Does it suck that you don’t get these parts in the kit you just bought? Yeah, sure. But at least in this case, it would be very easy to upgrade your existing car with them if you so desire... Heck, I’m sure that Serpent will offer an update kit at a reasonable price as well - at the very least, the third shock update is likely to get one. Either way, that’s a whole lot better than truly having a “discontinued” car.
yes you guys are right..guess i was just in a "venting mood". been using there stuff since 1/10 235mm days and always been happy. i compete more with myself these days and enjoy the day with racing bud's
TurnNBurn likes this.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Given the 988 was released in 2017, that is not bad to have a new car 2 years later....

And when you are ready for the 989, by that time, there will be plenty in good shape up for sale in the BST forum!
Old 08-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Tech Addict

The 989 now appears in the products list on the Serpent homepage (on the Mobile version anyway). The site is getting SLAMMED - haven’t been able to open the page, although there is no Product News article up yet either.

EDIT: Finally loaded for me - and WOW - there are a LOT of new parts. New, narrower chassis with two more weight locations, revised radio tray and tank, revised two speed assembly, revised gear ratios, twin aluminum rear radio tray supports to replace the original plastic one, revised rear bulkhead, the mid shaft belt tensioner (which will also serve as the pipe wire mount)... Simply put, the “+1” on the model number packs quite a lot! Funny enough, the third shock assemblies are mentioned as optional parts. If there’s a conversion kit, it’s gonna be quite hefty.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 08-27-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The 989 now appears in the products list on the Serpent homepage (on the Mobile version anyway). The site is getting SLAMMED - haven’t been able to open the page, although there is no Product News article up yet either.

EDIT: Finally loaded for me - and WOW - there are a LOT of new parts. New, narrower chassis with two more weight locations, revised radio tray and tank, revised two speed assembly, revised gear ratios, twin aluminum rear radio tray supports to replace the original plastic one, revised rear bulkhead, the mid shaft belt tensioner (which will also serve as the pipe wire mount)... Simply put, the “+1” on the model number packs quite a lot! Funny enough, the third shock assemblies are mentioned as optional parts. If there’s a conversion kit, it’s gonna be quite hefty.
Nice thing is most mast are a direct replacement, can run the old chassis/replace with the new when needed, an swap out the bulkheads/mounts as you replace parts. DeSoto was testing it at the GLC this past weekend and I really like the upgrades.
Old Today, 10:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My 989 is en-route. Can't wait!
TurnNBurn likes this.