R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default R40 Parking Lot Setup?

Hey guys I'm new to RcTech but looking through the website everyone seems very helpful. As my sn indicates I started out with the first HPI RS4 then moved up to the R40. The R40 is great and I love the ease of working on it, I drive it in a large parking lot that is level and smooth but has some bumps (very good lot compared to others). I know the R40 was designed with track racing in mind but I only drive it in this parking lot.

The car handles well, but I would like to adjust the setup because I know it can be greatly improved. I was wondering if anyone knows out of experience or from reference a great parking lot setup for the R40. Basically the settings for ride height, camber, toe, what kind of springs to get and front stabilizer settings.

I have all stock parts except a front one-way diff and a O.S. 12TR(P)-T engine with an HPI tuned exhaust.
RS4-R40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #2

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

One-way is probably making it hard on you without brakes, unless its very very large parkinglot. You need to get good ride height. Is the chassis all scrapped up? You should raise it if its getting scraped.

Use the included ride height gauge to set it above 6mm if possible all around. If its at 6mm or above and getting scraped raise it higher.

Set your front sway bar to 0 degrees and run the softest spring from hpi. I think silver? Maybe even see how it runs with no rear-sway bar.

That should about do it , the rest youll probably need to play with to get right.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 03-06-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
One-way is probably making it hard on you without brakes, unless its very very large parkinglot. You need to get good ride height. Is the chassis all scrapped up? You should raise it if its getting scraped.

Use the included ride height gauge to set it above 6mm if possible all around.

Set your front sway bar to 0 degrees and run the softest spring from hpi. I think silver? Maybe even see how it runs with no rear-sway bar.

That should about do it , the rest youll probably need to play with to get right.
how about differential fluids? use any or none? 4 spder gears or not? for stock shocks what would be the recommended oil weight front and back?
thanks.
ozpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #4
Tech Master

For parking lot, start with the box settings as a base. They should be as listed

Front
0 degrees toe out
1 or 1.5 deg camber
sway bar horizontal
50 wt shock oil
black spring w/stock mounting location
5mm ride height
40 shore tire
50000 wt dif oil.

Rear.
3 degrees toe in
1.5 deg camber
disconnect sway bar
50 wt shock oil
black spring w/stock mounting location
5.5mm ride ht
40 shore tire
2 gear diff with grease for lubrication..

This should get you close. You can adjust from there depending on what is lacking. post your findings in the R40 thread. You will get the best response there.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

cool thanks
ozpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpall
how about differential fluids? use any or none? 4 spder gears or not? for stock shocks what would be the recommended oil weight front and back?
thanks.
Yeah stock everything should be a good base. I would just jack it up a little cause the ride height is a bit low for street use. Also softening it will allow it to soak up more bumps to get more grip and a better drive.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
Tech Master

I start with the stock setup.. then go to:
0 toe for the front..
no camber front or rear..
gold springs up front and black in the rear..

ride height varies with tire diameter..
once the tires start to wear the handling goes away..
I believe with taller diameter tires you can get a lower roll center without it bottoming out..
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

thanks for the help guys, also i ran out of shock oil and wanna rebuild my suspension, should i stick with the 50wt oil for parking lot driving?
Old 03-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #9

40wt would be good start for p-lot , to allow the shocks to absorb bumps easier.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

ok cool, also the reason I got the front one way was because my stock one was leaking oil, can I rebuild the stock front diff and just put alot of grease in it instead of diff oil?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #11

I personally use the grease included in my kit to lube my diff. I know the r40 diff likes to leak oil. So for that reason I chose grease. I also hear it will provide a more consistent feel start to finish.

I notice with silicone diff oil in diff it gives a tight feeling at first then loosens. Maybe its cause its an older diff, I will be trying a 4-gear diff with 30k in the rear very soon as this what is found in most hpi team drivers setups.

I think you can use a sealant to help seal them up better. You can probably find this info in the r40 thread if you search. Or just ask the question and see what guys are doing with their oil diffs and sealing them better.

Also one-way is very touchy to dirt , you must take them apart quite a bit clean them and relube them with one-way grease.