Another of those "which 1/8 onroad chassis" question

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 1/8 IC Fan
  • 1 Post By Roelof

Another of those "which 1/8 onroad chassis" question

Old 05-20-2019, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default Another of those "which 1/8 onroad chassis" question

In the early 80s, after RC300BD, my first intermission...
In the late 80s, after Serpent Excel, second intermission...
Then in around 2005, after Kyosho Evolva, third intermission...

Now, the bug bites again...Would like to pick your brains as to the choice of chassis/engine.

For chassis, here we have Mugen, Infinity, Shepherd and Serpent, which chassis? I like more aggressive steering feeling but don't like the parts wearout rate of kyosho.

As for engine, I heard OS is now the standard?

Any suggestions welcome
Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Its all a loaded question more or less, they are so close in performance, that its more or less a wash. Sure we all have our preferences for brands and such, yet if you go to the track they all do quite well. If anything the best advice is to run what you can get support for in your area.

Where are you located? Where is your closest track?
Old 05-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

I am in Hong kong. We have only one track here for 1/8. In terms of support, I think locally Serpent might be the best, as their office is here. Mugen though a nice car, local parts support sucks. Shepherd and Infinity I know where to buy their kits but not sure about parts. Frankly Serpent would be my last choice.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

I can see perhaps where one might have a preference, yet I would check with some of the Big Online retailers like rcmart, to see if they carry a broad selection of parts as well, for the chassis you are considering. Given they are based out of Hong Kong, and usually are really good to deal with.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:11 AM
Tech Champion

Basically if you have a creditcard or paypal the world is open to purchase any car.

The Serpent 988 is a good car and if it is locally well supported then why not?
The Mugen MRX6R is also a good car and very populair as also the Shepherd.
Infinity is very expensive and why would you buy a car from a brand that clearly pays the top 30 list world drivers to run that brand w/o leaving any good racers for the other brands?

The only advance of Mugen is that it still uses module 1 gears, all other brands do face some DNF's with their more fragile module 0.8 gears. A few weeks ago I made adapters for 2 ARC drivers so they can use Mugen gears on their ARC 1/8 electric pancar.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Basically if you have a creditcard or paypal the world is open to purchase any car.

Infinity is very expensive and why would you buy a car from a brand that clearly pays the top 30 list world drivers to run that brand w/o leaving any good racers for the other brands?

The only advance of Mugen is that it still uses module 1 gears, all other brands do face some DNF's with their more fragile module 0.8 gears. A few weeks ago I made adapters for 2 ARC drivers so they can use Mugen gears on their ARC 1/8 electric pancar.
Man Roelof, I did not want to say the same, but thats a great statement, at least we still have Pietsch and Kurzbuch!
shiston likes this.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post

Thanks for all the comments

My "not preferring" Serpent is because of two factors, might be bigotic: 1) they are no longer the good old Serpent of the Netherlands, they are now made in China; 2) my experience with their cars before (last was a Veteq) they were quite "lazy" comparing to the likes of Mugen and Kyosho. The current Serpent "might turn on a dime", but the first factor I frankly am unable to accept.

Before my last intermission I quite like the performance of the Kyosho Evolva, but too bad their materials wear out fast....

Quite frankly I am between Mugen and Infinity, actually leaning more to Mugen. I like Mugen cars since their 1/12 K2X, and I run their e-buggies too and found them to be keeping the same quality. However, as the local importer prefers doing other businesses then focusing on to that core business that brought rich to him, parts support for Mugen is just pathetic here. I have to order online and keep my own stock of parts for my e-buggies and that's not something I like to do.

The only unknown to me is Infinity, I know they spent big bucks to buy drivers (because of the rich owner) and that doesn't mean their car is good for a "sunday driver' like me, but I would like to hear from regular souls what they like or dislike about the Infinity to decide

Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by blackshark3 View Post
Thanks for all the comments

My "not preferring" Serpent is because of two factors, might be bigotic: 1) they are no longer the good old Serpent of the Netherlands, they are now made in China; 2) my experience with their cars before (last was a Veteq) they were quite "lazy" comparing to the likes of Mugen and Kyosho. The current Serpent "might turn on a dime", but the first factor I frankly am unable to accept.
Serpent went to a more solid car with the 960 at the same moment Pieter Bervoets did leave the company. It took some time to design the right car finally with the 977. The 988 is based on the 977 with all improvements. The Infinity is a good copy of the Mugen MRX5 car.
YBSLOW likes this.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The Mugen MRX6 and MRX6R are the most popular 1:8 cars at my local track in Southern California (Steel City Speedway). The Mugen Distributor is in Southern California so can get part orders quick. However, what is more important is the car is very good at our track and because there are a number of people running them, there is a good core of drivers that newer Mugen owners can come to for set-up advice to help get them up to speed faster. As for local shops carrying parts, there are no local shops in Southern California you can walk into that carry a lot of parts. I order mine all online from four companies in the US from East to West Coast and always have a decent selection of spares with me because if you break a part at the track, are you going to leave the track, drive to a hobby store, buy the part, drive back to the track and replace and continue racing ? Probably not. So as long as order parts from the local HK shops that carry Mugen parts and get them in a few days, parts support should not be an issue. What is the most popular car at your track so others can help you and parts availability (online or local hobby shop) should be major factors in your decision.

Panda