2019 Great Lakes Challenge - Aug 23-25 - Toledo, OH >

2019 Great Lakes Challenge - Aug 23-25 - Toledo, OH

Like Tree54Likes

2019 Great Lakes Challenge - Aug 23-25 - Toledo, OH

Old 07-11-2019, 06:45 AM
Tech Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
....... Less stress on pit crew. ........
Oh my my.........bless their hearts when the mains come up.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
I hope not, I'm not in favor of shortening my track time. And like the Euro races are proving, drop em to 4 minutes and guys will still find a way to run out of fuel.
I'd like to go in the other direction and have 7 min. Quals.
Rick Vessell, P2gee, Who and 2 others like this.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage View Post
I'd like to go in the other direction and have 7 min. Quals.
I like 4 or 7 so you both have my vote.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davidl View Post
That is the plan as of today. Just come and race. The idea is to have a good time and enjoy running your car and bench racing with those that also come.
Yeah, that is why I have been to this track a dozen times (give or take). I was just wondering so know which engines to bring. I haven't had a problem making 5 minutes the last few times I have been there and either way its the same for everybody.

Entry form sent in a few days ago
Plane tickets, rental car and hotel room and now all set too.

See you guys next month.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have no problems with it but I've done the 4 min quals and they are better. Less stress on pit crew. Things have changed in racing for the better. I enjoy the old 5 min quals but 4 min quals are far less stress. Even IFMAR has made the change. It's not about not making time. It's about less labor and time.
I do agree that it will be better for all, but it's hard to make some folks change their ways...Most pitmen also need the time off to prep their own cars, but I guess there is enough time between qualifiers anyway.....Hopefully the race organizers will reconsider and bring the US crew on par with the Euro crew....
Pooh2 likes this.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

I'll bring it up this weekend at the Midwest Series race, but don't hold your breath. The race has been 5 minutes since the beginning, and all of the races so far this year in Toledo have also been 5 minutes.
Rick Vessell and Pooh2 like this.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ View Post
I'll bring it up this weekend at the Midwest Series race, but don't hold your breath. The race has been 5 minutes since the beginning, and all of the races so far this year in Toledo have also been 5 minutes.
still breathing.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Puts less stress on the Marshalls too. They can get their cars ready sooner. That minus one min frees up maybe 2hrs in the day. More practice if needed or wanted.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Superpoles are nice too. I just think it's time to try some new things in Nitro.
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Puts less stress on the Marshalls too. They can get their cars ready sooner. That minus one min frees up maybe 2hrs in the day. More practice if needed or wanted.
If 1 minute is a noticeable impact on the marshals, then they are in trouble come main time. Last year saw 14 heats, a 1 minute per, would only save 42 minutes total in the day. More would be saved and help everyone of all opinions, if racers would simply be ready on time and not need to call for turn marshals. THE ONLY REASON 4 minutes came about was to 'save engines' and if you'll watch the last couple European races guys were still running out of fuel at 4 minutes..... why? cause now they don't need to worry about 5 so that just push things even farther.
These are supposed to be qualification for long multiple stop mains, my opinion is they should be at least long enough to represent a stop. Nitro is very much a team event and a good pit-man can make a huge impact, it's a shame we don't get to see the whole team picture as is.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

If 1 minute is a noticeable impact on the marshals, then they are in trouble come main time. Last year saw 14 heats, a 1 minute per, would only save 42 minutes total in the day. More would be saved and help everyone of all opinions, if racers would simply be ready on time and not need to call for turn marshals. THE ONLY REASON 4 minutes came about was to 'save engines' and if you'll watch the last couple European races guys were still running out of fuel at 4 minutes..... why? cause now they don't need to worry about 5 so that just push things even farther.
These are supposed to be qualification for long multiple stop mains, my opinion is they should be at least long enough to represent a stop. Nitro is very much a team event and a good pit-man can make a huge impact, it's a shame we don't get to see the whole team picture as is.
I agree with Pooh on this one in general, but I don't necessarily care if they run 4 or 5 minutes at GLC.

You don't lose any track time because we either run a 5 minute qual with 2 minute warm up or a 4 minute round with a 3 minute warm up. The only difference is you're not trying to make 5 minutes on some of these bigger tracks where you have to take a full lap before even being on the clock. Also, they may be having that issue in Europe, I haven't seen that as an issue in the US.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid View Post
I agree with Pooh on this one in general, but I don't necessarily care if they run 4 or 5 minutes at GLC.

You don't lose any track time because we either run a 5 minute qual with 2 minute warm up or a 4 minute round with a 3 minute warm up. The only difference is you're not trying to make 5 minutes on some of these bigger tracks where you have to take a full lap before even being on the clock. Also, they may be having that issue in Europe, I haven't seen that as an issue in the US.
You bring up Europe so I am going to jump in here. I have been watching all of the ENS and Euro Champs for the past two years. Yes, I see Balestri and Simon K. pitting in the 4 minute to 4:20 time frame. They have been short pitting to cut the length of their stops more than run the tank dry and the engine, and track, driving method used to dictate when to stop. And there are several other factors that make the Euro style noticeably different that here in North America. So it is an apple to oranges comparison between Europe and NA.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by davidl View Post
You bring up Europe so I am going to jump in here. I have been watching all of the ENS and Euro Champs for the past two years. Yes, I see Balestri and Simon K. pitting in the 4 minute to 4:20 time frame. They have been short pitting to cut the length of their stops more than run the tank dry and the engine, and track, driving method used to dictate when to stop. And there are several other factors that make the Euro style noticeably different that here in North America. So it is an apple to oranges comparison between Europe and NA.
It was mentioned before me. I was responding to someone else that brought it up.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid View Post
It was mentioned before me. I was responding to someone else that brought it up.
Probably my fault, someone referred to IFMAR doing 4 min as a partial justification for doing it here. I then refereed to what I'd been seeing in Europe with 4 min not really changing anything as far as running out of gas.

But just for you Dorian I'm sure they will allow you to run 4 minutes, and leave the rest at 5
but seriously, hope to see you there, I'll even run sedan so we can trade paint again.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Probably my fault, someone referred to IFMAR doing 4 min as a partial justification for doing it here. I then refereed to what I'd been seeing in Europe with 4 min not really changing anything as far as running out of gas.

But just for you Dorian I'm sure they will allow you to run 4 minutes, and leave the rest at 5
but seriously, hope to see you there, I'll even run sedan so we can trade paint again.
I'll keep all the minutes and seconds I can get. I need them more than anyone else at the race.

I miss you all too but I doubt I'll be at GLC or Nationals. Trying to make it to midwest race in Cincy this year towards the end of the season.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service