Like Tree33Likes

2019 ROAR Fuel On-Road Nationals - Sept 19-22 - Toledo, OH

Old 07-31-2019, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
Old thinking... Oh well.
Originally Posted by YBSLOW View Post
yes it is. one more reason I will not be attending.
Originally Posted by jimiaxplyr View Post
This is true for me too.
Well, it's one reason I will be attending, if it ever goes 4 minutes, I will not.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Well, it's one reason I will be attending, if it ever goes 4 minutes, I will not.
How do you know you wouldn't enjoy it? I thought it wasn't going to be fun until I ran a race like that. You really should try it. You won't even notice it until see how much practice time you get. You get back to your hotel and dinner sooner and you can plan your drive or flight even sooner.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

How do you know you wouldn't enjoy it? I thought it wasn't going to be fun until I ran a race like that. You really should try it. You won't even notice it until see how much practice time you get. You get back to your hotel and dinner sooner and you can plan your drive or flight even sooner.
I'd prefer not to run with a bunch of whiners who need the rules changed cause they can't go 5 minutes, or worse yet the guys with super deep pockets and hot tuned motors using as much fuel in 4 minutes as most reasonable racers use in 5. If I wanted to see rules bent to satisfy the one off racers every time someone has a new idea I'd still be running electric.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

I must have missed something in here.. am I seeing nitro guys upset because races were lengthened to 5 minutes from 4 minutes ?
Old 07-31-2019, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

In Texas we have been using 4 min quals for a couple years now
Pooh2 likes this.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Racermac73 View Post
I must have missed something in here.. am I seeing nitro guys upset because races were lengthened to 5 minutes from 4 minutes ?
Got it a little backwards. The ROAR rules specify the qualifiers are 5 minutes long (Rule 5.1.4). Some racers are upset that they were not SHORTENED to 4 minutes.

Rick Vessell likes this.

Last edited by ~McSmooth~; 08-01-2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-01-2019, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

I'd prefer not to run with a bunch of whiners who need the rules changed cause they can't go 5 minutes, or worse yet the guys with super deep pockets and hot tuned motors using as much fuel in 4 minutes as most reasonable racers use in 5. If I wanted to see rules bent to satisfy the one off racers every time someone has a new idea I'd still be running electric.
Why do you feel someone is whinning when they make a suggestion? I don't mind 5 min quals. I love racing!!!! All I asked was why not try something different? It was mentioned to me even if guys felt they where losing a min. All that has to be done is add that min in warm up. I've raced 4 min 5 min 7 and 10 min qual and I love them all. I think the guys that have never tried it and are complaining are the whinners. And all of us racers are the loser in the end.
nitrodude and jimiaxplyr like this.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Why do you feel someone is whinning when they make a suggestion? I don't mind 5 min quals. I love racing!!!! All I asked was why not try something different? It was mentioned to me even if guys felt they where losing a min. All that has to be done is add that min in warm up. I've raced 4 min 5 min 7 and 10 min qual and I love them all. I think the guys that have never tried it and are complaining are the whinners. And all of us racers are the loser in the end.
The whining comment was directed at those who said this was why they would not attend, not you directly. For me the appeal of nitro is the longer runs, introduction of strategy, with fuel stops and tire changes. Part of strategy is 5 minute qualifiers (personally I think 7 or 8 minutes would be more applicable). Shorter run times really only help the guy who has the hot motor and is already flying for 4 minutes and 45 seconds..... or the guy who is struggling with tune and can't make 5 minutes. One of the things killing electric right now is the huge capacity of batteries, nobody needs to manage the horsepower any longer, makes for poor racing.

And lets face it, there really is no reason for 4 minutes other "I can't make 5" saving a minute per heat is a lame excuse with a negligible overall affect. Hot motors is a poor excuse, cause your going to run a much longer main. I'd venture to say the vast majority are tuning for performance and not temp, and that's the way they run em. If your motor is tuned to use that much fuel, I refer to my aforementioned deep pockets comment. But the average racer could use the leveling effect longer mains provide. In the face of what I see as a lack of sound reasoning the only reason that is repeatably used is "I can't make 5", to which I say fix the problem, ask for assistance, or quit whining and race.

And for what it's worth, I can think of MANY other reasons not to attend a ROAR event, but more track time on the clock is definitely not on that list.
Rick Vessell and P2gee like this.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

I am not so sure about "whinning"
I personally can not see any reason to go to 4 minutes any more then I can see a reason to go to 3 minutes...... in so far as the qualifying format is right now. (ie As many laps as you can do in the time alocated)
Now, If the format itself was suggested to be changed..... ie finals position (pole position etc) based on fastest lap, or fastest 3 consecutive for example. Then that is different.
But as a format change is not what is being suggested. Why do it? Is there something wrong with 5 minute qualifier's?
If the consensus is that we need a change to the qualifying format then ok. Lobby ROAR and suggest that.
But to claim not to attend a race because solely, or in part, a venue not running 4 minute qualifiers seam's ...... well, not right to me.
If this is your way of protesting ROAR not agreeing to 4 minute then as in any protest you decide to make..... you bare the consequences of your own protest action. Missing race's, missing friend's who are attending those race's, being subjected to judgmental opinion (as people can be so that way) You may not mind any of this. That is a personal choice. But by taking that choice you then take the consequences.

Regards
BM
Rick Vessell and miller tyme like this.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
I am not so sure about "whinning"
I personally can not see any reason to go to 4 minutes any more then I can see a reason to go to 3 minutes...... in so far as the qualifying format is right now. (ie As many laps as you can do in the time alocated)
Now, If the format itself was suggested to be changed..... ie finals position (pole position etc) based on fastest lap, or fastest 3 consecutive for example. Then that is different.
But as a format change is not what is being suggested. Why do it? Is there something wrong with 5 minute qualifier's?
If the consensus is that we need a change to the qualifying format then ok. Lobby ROAR and suggest that.
But to claim not to attend a race because solely, or in part, a venue not running 4 minute qualifiers seam's ...... well, not right to me.
If this is your way of protesting ROAR not agreeing to 4 minute then as in any protest you decide to make..... you bare the consequences of your own protest action. Missing race's, missing friend's who are attending those race's, being subjected to judgmental opinion (as people can be so that way) You may not mind any of this. That is a personal choice. But by taking that choice you then take the consequences.

Regards
BM
returning after a bit of off road elec. racing, i can't run the nat's but i vote for 5 min. my question is how can they put such an event together when no one will answer my e mail to get my new card ?. and yes it's great too race with your bud's even if you don't agree with everything,
Old 08-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
returning after a bit of off road elec. racing, i can't run the nat's but i vote for 5 min. my question is how can they put such an event together when no one will answer my e mail to get my new card ?. and yes it's great too race with your bud's even if you don't agree with everything,
Simple, ROAR has a minimal role, the local club does all the preliminary work, promotion, rental arrangements for facilities, track prep, then the racers pay ROAR to show up the Thursday of the event and tech the racers, say go, hand out awards and cash the checks.

And I'll add that the Toledo One Eighth Racers put on one hell of an event.

Last edited by miller tyme; 08-01-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

W
Probably why you never race in California or anyplace west of the Mississippi river. they have been racing 4 min quals for last 6 years. Most fast guys barely make 4 minutes on fuel there. when you race somewhere 90% of the time that runs 4 minutes it is hard to justify spending a couple grand to fly cross country to a race where you have to run so lean to barely make time or be off pace. It is just different not whinning it is called stating an opinion and your entitled to yours no matter how dumb I think it is.
jimiaxplyr likes this.

Last edited by YBSLOW; 08-02-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Talking

Originally Posted by YBSLOW View Post

Probably why you never race in California or anyplace west of the Mississippi river. they have been racing 4 min quals for last 6 years..
Lincoln, NE is west of the Mississippi and they race 5.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ View Post
Lincoln, NE is west of the Mississippi and they race 5.
ok...lol maybe west of the rio grande.

ya I know, I ran nats there both times.. Track is so small it is probably the easiest track in the world to make 5 minutes in both 10th and 8th scale.

Last edited by YBSLOW; 08-02-2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: pt
Old 08-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Simple, ROAR has a minimal role, the local club does all the preliminary work, promotion, rental arrangements for facilities, track prep, then the racers pay ROAR to show up the Thursday of the event and tech the racers, say go, hand out awards and cash the checks.

And I'll add that the Toledo One Eighth Racers put on one hell of an event.
i agree they do i can't wait too get back. i was at the first GLC. tracks just over an hour from home if the border is smooth. i asked about the card cause i renewed a month ago got my reciept, they took my money (LOL) but no new card. and no replies maybe an issue at the office? good luck all you guys !!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service