• 1 Post By Roelof
  • 2 Post By fyrstormer
  • 1 Post By Roelof

Belt Grinding?

Old 03-10-2019, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default Belt Grinding?

Is it worth it? Does it actually free up the drivetrain?
Old 03-10-2019, 11:46 PM
Tech Champion

Do you need that last 0.1sec a lap to become world champion?

They grind off the glossy layer so the belt becomes more flexible making the drive train smoother. I just lube my belts for a smoother drive train.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Do you need that last 0.1sec a lap to become world champion?

They grind off the glossy layer so the belt becomes more flexible making the drive train smoother. I just lube my belts for a smoother drive train.
Haha! It may make a difference in electric tc.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Yes in 1/10 TC it does. As Roelof stated, I too used to treat my belts, but back in the day (90's) with WD40 to make them a bit more pliable. I no longer do that and just use a high quality silicone based lubricant to keep the belts running free. I much rather my belts last a race weekend than risk a failure.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Yes in 1/10 TC it does. As Roelof stated, I too used to treat my belts, but back in the day (90's) with WD40 to make them a bit more pliable. I no longer do that and just use a high quality silicone based lubricant to keep the belts running free. I much rather my belts last a race weekend than risk a failure.
so your saying it destroys belts or reduces the life of the belt by grinding? The advertising of the grinder machine states that it doesnít reduce life span. Probably great sales pitch line.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I don't know, just seems gimmicky to some extent. In 1/8 IC there are so many belts available that it just makes no sense to me. In 1:10 TC perhaps because they are chasing that extra 10th, but in 1:8 IC to me personally it makes no sense, as I am not chasing tenths but rather a finish and not a DNF. Also, I think that the Quality is much improved over years past that I am not worried about my belts. Rather focus on Chassis, Clutch and Motor Tuning instead, lol.

I am sure if someone were to grind them down to the Aramid / Kevlar Fibers it would cause some degradation in durability.
Josh-n-ya likes this.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:51 PM
Tech Champion

If you want to chamge the belts every race then go ahead. I would only advice his you you really do belong to the best drivers, if not you only will make your car more fragile.

By the way, if you are talking about TC cars then you are in the wrong forum.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post

so your saying it destroys belts or reduces the life of the belt by grinding? The advertising of the grinder machine states that it doesn’t reduce life span. Probably great sales pitch line.

As long as the grinder doesn't damage any of the fiber layers, the belt should be fine after grinding. It's the fiber layers that give the belt its tensile strength; the rubber layers just hold the fiber layers together. Still, one slip with the grinder and you'll be buying a new belt. Tuning the tension of the belt so it's just tight enough to avoid skipping teeth should give you the same result without irreversibly modifying anything.

Overall this strikes me as the sort of thing that only produces a noticeable result if you're already a fantastic driver with a car tuned to an exacting degree of precision, racing against other fantastic drivers with similarly well-tuned cars, and your cars are all evenly-matched on the track. Only in that circumstance would the tiny reduction in energy-loss caused by flexing a slightly-thinner belt actually produce a result that could be noticed above the statistical "background noise" of tiny errors in your driving.

The same can be said about pretty much any modification that you can't buy pre-fabricated from a vendor. The overwhelming majority of drivers are neither good enough nor consistent enough for ultra-elite mods like this to noticeably improve their performance.
Rick Vessell and Josh-n-ya like this.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:35 AM
Tech Champion

But take a look at several car setups on the REDRC ENS reports. Most topdrivers have no grinded belts.....
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

I know Iím on the wrong section for asking about electric tc but I was told that nitro guys grind belts. But thanks for your replyís. Iím done now.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:42 AM
Tech Adept

Come to the bright side, we have low-friction belts !
Old 03-13-2019, 04:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by thilo-alexander View Post
Come to the bright side, we have low-friction belts !
Yah...right...I have bought the rubber belts from Mugen and the same from a transmission parts company. I have not noticed the difference compared with the stock Mugen but only the price. Funny thing is that the rubber belts from Mugen are more expensive and at the transmission parts shop they are the cheapest to get. The only real noticeable difference is that the rubber belts do break much easier.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

Try Shepherd ! The optional last at least the same amount of time like the stock ones but the drivetrain is smooth as butter.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

I just use Triflow teflon spray, works perfect for a smooth belt.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Interesting, I use Tri-Flow on my bicycle chains. There are two formulations for their spray: a "wet" formulation with lots of oil and a "dry" formulation with wax instead of oil. Which version are you recommending?