R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-28-2006, 05:10 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ
I don't think it wouldn't work very well. Picture a sunny 90 degree day with track temps around 130 degrees. Now figure you have to sit in the sun for 8 hours focusing on 20 or so heats of little cars going around and around for hours on end. That sounds worse than a factory job making widgets all day. I don't think anyone could keep focused that long. I know I would be either hynotized or snoring in my chair.
I agree with Ray.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #17
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Turn marshals

I don't mind and try to stay heads up, but always seem to pipe it closest to the 375 pounder with a smoke in his hand and bad knees trying to kick the car over. I'd gladly chip in an extra five to hire someone to hustle. Even if we only had a couple of paid guys to fill in for the guys who can't really do it, but are obligated to try.
Mark Mixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:01 AM   #18
Tech Elite

On another forum, rcfiles.com, racers here in Texas have a much different view than many of you guys here. Like I said on that forum, I consider it part of the job/responsibility of racing. During your marshalling time, you also get the opportunity to observe the good guys racing behind you to see what lines they are taking, how their car handles as compaired to yours, etc. Guys, it is only 5 minutes of your time and if everybody promptly does it after their qualifying race and don't drag-a$$, it is over with quickly and you can get back to your pits to do what it is you need to do. Many complain already about how the price of racing is constantly increasing, so, how many of you are really willing to pay $10 to $30 extra to have hired turn marshals? If you examine the economies of scale, and extra $5 will not be enough to cover your cost, especially if your turn out for the event is small.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:33 AM   #19

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mixon
I don't mind and try to stay heads up, but always seem to pipe it closest to the 375 pounder with a smoke in his hand and bad knees trying to kick the car over. I'd gladly chip in an extra five to hire someone to hustle. Even if we only had a couple of paid guys to fill in for the guys who can't really do it, but are obligated to try.
LOL exactly what I was thinking we have a few retirees that sound almost the same. One guy cant walk faster than me with my shoelaces tied together , god bless him. I almost feel bad that he is forced to do it or will get DQ'd.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Most tracks I have raced at were really good about dealing with peoples disabilities. You obviously dont want to run into the wheel of a wheelchair but some people do have bad backs, knees, and so on. Sometimes they insist on helping, and at least they still want to be active.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

I don't think paid marshals will help fix anything... and the fact that you need to pursue the idea of paid marshals (IMHO) may indicate a bigger underlying problem, especially for a big race. At a big race there is a LOT of time between rounds, so marshalling should not be a big deal.

Clubs usually have two types of people -- people who help out when they can , and people who never help out . The never-helpers have a sense of entitlement that seems to define all of their actions. The "helpers" are nice people -- you can have a conversation with them, talk about the racing, the track, the club, football, whatever. The never-helpers are walking bad attitudes.

I used to think that being polite and nice to people would be a way to encourage them to help. I have since realized that some people just don't give a shit, and will take take take take take as much as they can. I say f$*% them. Don't spend time trying to get the never-helpers to marshal, because they never will. Penalize them instead. Dock laps, or points, or whatever if they are not out there marshalling. At least then you will show new people the expected (i.e., "right") behavior at a CLUB.

Sincerely,

"Mr. No Opinions"

Tzadkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzadkiel
I don't think paid marshals will help fix anything... and the fact that you need to pursue the idea of paid marshals (IMHO) may indicate a bigger underlying problem, especially for a big race. At a big race there is a LOT of time between rounds, so marshalling should not be a big deal.

Clubs usually have two types of people -- people who help out when they can , and people who never help out . The never-helpers have a sense of entitlement that seems to define all of their actions. The "helpers" are nice people -- you can have a conversation with them, talk about the racing, the track, the club, football, whatever. The never-helpers are walking bad attitudes.

I used to think that being polite and nice to people would be a way to encourage them to help. I have since realized that some people just don't give a shit, and will take take take take take as much as they can. I say f$*% them. Don't spend time trying to get the never-helpers to marshal, because they never will. Penalize them instead. Dock laps, or points, or whatever if they are not out there marshalling. At least then you will show new people the expected (i.e., "right") behavior at a CLUB.

Sincerely,

"Mr. No Opinions"

You hit some nails on the head. It is getting to the point to where many racers are lazy and want to shuck their responsibility of marshalling because they think that they are above doing it. Giving up 15 to 20 minutes of your time to marshal on qualifying day is not going to make or break a racer from doing well. We racers have so much idle time in the pits that we waste anyway. But, if enough push the issue, it will be the next big rave. Just don't complain when entry fees for these races start pushing $100 to cover the cost of paid marshals.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote