Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Hey folks - any 1/8 racers from the 1970s? >

Hey folks - any 1/8 racers from the 1970s?

Hey folks - any 1/8 racers from the 1970s?

Old 12-13-2018, 07:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Hey folks - any 1/8 racers from the 1970s?

Hi!
I’m new here and joined to try and get some information about what I think is a rare engine part made by Dick McCoy.
Years ago, I bought a load of K&B 3.5 engines and parts. Most of it was marine stuff, but mixed in with all the K&B replacement parts, were some McCoy upgrade parts for the K&B 3.5s. Connecting rods, “turbo” cranks, piston/sleeve sets, bearings, etc., all in McCoy packaging. AND - a new McCoy engine case; a super beefy replacement for the stock K&B case. I’m guessing these were made for both the 1/8 scale R/C car, and boat racing crowd, as K&B 3.5s were fairly popular then.

Please forgive my asking about this here, and on my very first post - but I don’t know where else to ask. Any “old timers” here who may be familliar with the McCoy case for K&B 3.5s?

Thanks for any info - MisterBill
Old 12-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Default K&B 3.5

Hey Mr Bill......I visited Jon Thorp's facility in Pomona a couple times to talk to him about what he was trying with 'turbos and superchargers' on the 3.5. I was running 3.5 Tunnel Hull/K&B at the time. 'Jack Garcia' was my hero at the time.
I didn't know till later 'the Big Guy' there at the track doing some 'studious stuff' with engines in 'breakin mode' was Ron Paris.
Due to my budget, I stayed with boats.

You might try finding the 'Jet Guy'.......can't remember his name but he was '1/4 Scale Racer' that used the K&B engines and built the kits for the 'Ducted Fans' from '3.5' through K&B development of the '7.5's and '80+' SCREAMERS.
He then became the forefront of 'turbofan jets'........been to the old shop.......just can't place the name.
Try contacting 'MECOA. com'........they produce the surviving versions of the K&B Marine Engines and may have knowledge of the McCoy pieces. I personally don't remember hearing of them. I did always buy 'the turbo rods' to keep the 3.5 outboard together, even though I never saw 40,000+ rpm until I got into GT8. 🤗

Last edited by scary_jerry; 12-22-2018 at 09:55 AM.