R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #586
Tech Addict

Luke, I know what you mean, but at this level of competition, it's every bit that serious - much more so than you can imagine. Maybe you don't know of some of the controversies that happen at World Championships, over something that most of us would consider insignificant. There's sponsorships, prestige, magazine advertisements, sales dollars, bonuses, and all sorts of things on the line at a major event, things that most of us aren't concerned with. Yeah, it's technically just "racing toy cars for plastic trophies", but to many people, it's a whole lot more.

A person I know referred to my comments up above as making a mountain out of a mole hill. I have no problem with him seeing it that way, but like it or not, at this level of competition a "mole hill" is just as important as a "mountain". A car that is 1 gram under weight (a mole hill) should be DQ'd (a mountain).

I know, trust, and respect Josh, and when he said he was sure that Jared jumped the gun, I believe him. I also believe what Bob's camera recorded. So, I was trying to figure out how both of them could be right from their respective points of view, Josh up on the stand, and Bob down at the end of the straightaway.

In some areas, maybe there's a "gray area", depending on the accuracy of the measuring instruments. Even so, the officials try to do the best they can. The winner of one of the quarter finals in Brisbane, who dominated the event, was disqualified because his exhaust pipe stinger was just a hair over the legal size. Again, a mole hill (the stinger size) and the mountain (the DQ).

The article on SGrid Online just got posted a few minutes ago. It's probably way too long, way too detailed, and way too technical. I'll do a write-up you'll probably enjoy a lot more, to send off to RC Car Magazine.

I've still got to go through the rest of my images, get a gallery up, and download my own video from the start of the race. If Josh's car is on my video, maybe I can do the same thing Bob did, from a different vantage point.

Also, rather than continue forever to debate the crash, maybe it's more important to consider how well Ralph and Mikey did! Read my article...
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #587
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Josh, What racers remember at the start of a race can, and will be cloudy. If you ask 20 people who saw the actual start of the race live you will get conflicting anwsers, so what Jarred remembers is not reflected on the video. All I can do is allow the video to speak for itself.

I would love to know why against their rules, ROAR re-started the race you are taking about, can anybody fill us in?

Last edited by rcbob; 10-10-2006 at 04:06 PM.
rcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #588
Tech Apprentice

Mike, speakers are about 8-10 ft away from both the camera and the racers.
Where is Albert when you need him
Old 10-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #589
Tech Apprentice

Luke, you have to have special software that measures to the 1/60 of a second. Playing back the video that I posted will not prove it one way or the other.

It's starting to llok like the Zapruder film part 2

Last edited by rcbob; 10-11-2006 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #590
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Luke W and all - I know the horse is dead...lol.. One thing to remember, for some of us, the racing that most consider a hobby is how we pay the bills to take care of our families. To me, that is serious and why I care so much and push so hard for things to be equal and fare for everyone.
Ok! Ok! Everybody stop pouncing on me! LOL! Josh, I definitely get what you're saying about racing as your career. But when I hear people start talking about the speed of sound and where the speakers are located, it just sounds crazy to me at first. Sorry, Sorry, Sorry!
Luke W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #591
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Now the funny thing is that if this happened in one of the 1/16th mains, no one would have given a crap or even given it a second look.
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #592
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbob
I would love to know why against their rules, ROAR re-started the race you are taking about, can anybody fill us in?
The re-start last year was due to a flagman/computer error. The flagman never lifted the flag after he dropped it and a tone sounded from the computer causing all the confusion. Some were watching the flagman and some went on the tone.

I liked the dual tone starting method used this year much better than the flagman method.
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #593
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong
Now the funny thing is that if this happened in one of the 1/16th mains, no one would have given a crap or even given it a second look.
Yes, that's probably true and it is very unfair. But, like Josh said before, people in the upper mains will fight for things like this because racing is their career.
Luke W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #594
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis
I am a paying member of Roar and it is my right to voice my opinion. I did not ask for their resignation. I said they have no balls. I will use my right to also vote for a better representative of the racing community and not re-elect the current officials. I never accused the club of anything. The only ones not following the rules was the ROAR officials. I heard, while at the event, that there was a video that verified the jumpstarts. That's it. I repeated it - never said that I saw it or had it. I think before you comment on anything else you think I have to say or may have said, you should calm down and stop making a fool of yourself.
bullshit. you edited the post where you said queller and lee should step down.
now on top of everything else you are a liar. period.
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #595
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong

I liked the dual tone starting method used this year much better than the flagman method.
I agree the 2 tone method is much better, I never could see how the 10th position car could look at his car and a flagman that's standing 100ft+ away.
But you need a decent sound system in order it to work right.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #596
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702
Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Luke W and all - I know the horse is dead...lol.. One thing to remember, for some of us, the racing that most consider a hobby is how we pay the bills to take care of our families. To me, that is serious and why I care so much and push so hard for things to be equal and fare for everyone.
thanks for the work you do for the hobby wish things would have been different for you in this race keep beating that horse because one day it will be someone else in the same spot on the track thats just my 1 1/2 cent input
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #597
Tech Adept

Congrads to Burch, Swauger, Johnson, and everyone else that participated in this event.

There were alot of mistakes at the beginning of that main by everyone involved from Cryul to Jarrod to Ishtani to the Roar officials. We're all human.

Anyways, enough with bashing the dead horse. Hopefully I'll be out racing at this event next year.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #598
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2gee
I also give kudos to the last place qualifier for going to the inside boards and theading his car between 2 dead vehicles saving his to race on. Not sure but looks like he never lifted. Great driving!!
I'll let Sal DiFazio know you said that . No, he wasn't at full throttle considering all he saw was parts/cars flying and he didn't want to be part of it.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #599
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702
thanks for the work you do for the hobby wish things would have been different for you in this race keep beating that horse because one day it will be someone else in the same spot on the track thats just my 1 1/2 cent input

I think yhat was meant for Josh
Old 10-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #600
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702
Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert maestrey
I think yhat was meant for Josh
yeah it was wish everything had went smooth thats all
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote