R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #496
Tech Master

I do want to thank the Cinci club for doing their best for giving us the best possible track they could. From all the negative comments early in the year, they did a great job getting everything sorted!!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #497
Tech Addict

I just got home. First, I need to get some breakfast, take a shower, and get unpacked. Then I need to finish the write-up, which I almost got done while on the plane.

Everything should be uploaded to SGrid Online by late afternoon or early evening at the latest. It will be there as the top 'news' story, and include both of the videos as well as the race summary. I'll try to get a collection of pictures up as well.

The full race report with lots of high-res images will be in an upcoming issue of RC Car Magazine, but I've got more than enough photos to post things both on-line and there... and my on-line write-up is likely to be way too long for a printed magazine.

As to the problems with the scoring software and the wireless card, basically, the wireless card had major problems in communicating. It completely bogged down the scoring computer, which is why it got unplugged. This has nothing to do with the scoring software, or any other software running on the computer. When I put the card in a different computer, did race reports, and tried to upload them using 'wsftp', there were constant communication errors in the 'ftp' log file. Thanks to the persistance of wsftp, eventually things did get uploaded, but it was really slow - even the smallest text file seemed to take forever, with the numerous re-trys. When I tried to install the card in my own laptop, all I got was error messages.

As to the accident at the start, it was nobody's "fault" as everyone did things as best they could. Josh might have started faster, or Jared might have given the cars in front of him more room, but when you get to watch the video later, it's obvious that none of the drivers had time to think about this before it was all over and done with. Plus, the accident happened on the back straight, which is a long ways from the driver's stand. Also, I need to ask Bob about the timing. I know Bob thought it was .75 seconds, from the video he was editing, but I think he left out a zero. I've watched it a few dozen times, and I think Bob meant .075 seconds. In real-time, Josh wasn't "slow" off the line at all... just slower than Jared.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #498
Tech Master

Mike - Not even close - Jarrod was on the middle of the backstraight BEFORE THE HORN SOUNDED!! He then punched the throttle (from a roll and in the traction area of the track) and ran through me as I made a LEGAL START - I couldn't have started faster as I left on the tone (from the painted area) as we were supposed to.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #499
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Jared started 1/60th of a second after the horn
Ralph and Mike started 1/2 second after the horn
Josh started 3/4 of a second after the horn

I will try to post the video on rctech tonight.
rcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #500
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
I have been to several races over the last 2 or 3 seasons that used J-Lap scoring software. I cannot recall ANY problems with it. I'm sure rc-scoring pro is nice software, but flaming another brand, when a bad internet connection is to blame, is moronic.
I have run at 3 large races using J Lap... and every one had scoring problems causing long delays. I also ran a many races using RC scoring pro.. including 2 IIC races... with NO problems. But this is just my experience
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #501
Tech Master

I don't think so....lol... I saw the video and I also spoke with Jarrod.... I can't believe that 5 people are trying to cover for ROAR when over 50+ other people saw the infractions....
Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #502
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

there was well more than 50 of us watching, and one of the guys that I went with has the start on video, and even from his video it shows a jump start. He was situated right at the end of the straight. It was a crappy way to start that race. My race started like that, but I didnt expect the "A" guys to start like that.
I feel bad about what happend to Josh, as no race should be ended that fast and that way, especially one with the magnitude of the ROAR nats.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #503
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

By asking I'm not suggesting there was or wasn't an infraction, but for my benefit and perhaps some others, what is the correct course of action for a start infraction?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #504
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFCJ
By asking I'm not suggesting there was or wasn't an infraction, but for my benefit and perhaps some others, what is the correct course of action for a start infraction?
ROAR RULES:
5.14.5.2 Penalties
- For Electric classes: If one or more vehicles jump start, a false start will be declared, and the grid will be re-formed. If the same vehicle moves a second time, it will be moved back the length of the grid from its original starting position.
- For fuel classes: A ten second penalty will be assessed for a jumped start in a qualifier using a gridded stationary start, and a one lap penalty will be assessed for a jump start in a main race. Neither type of race will be re-started for a jumped start. For IFMAR starts, when a driver starts out of turn, a stop and go penalty will be assessed. If the driver pulls
over and allows the other vehicles to pass before continuing, no penalty is applicable.
- For any class: If a jumped start is not called by the officials immediately at the start of a race, but can be verified afterwards by at least two race officials using any recording device, a ten second penalty will be assessed on the offender(s) in a qualifier or a one lap penalty will be assessed in a main.

Doug
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #505
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

somebody post the video and let the people decide!!!
Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #506
Tech Addict

I'll have the video up within an hour on SGrid Online.

After watching it with the audio turned up, it speaks for itself.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #507
Tech Elite

I think last year at this race Jarod was on the receiving end of a crash at the start and we had to wait 30 minutes while he repaired the car. So maybe the grid needs to be aligned differently.

Official software of: ROAR Nationals, IIC, Cactus Classic, Indoor Champs, Reedy Race and Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield, WI!
RC Scoring Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #508
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It is a shame that a bad start overshadows a great race and the accomplishments of those drivers that made it to the Final Show.

Ralph Burch and Mike Swauger chased each other for an hour and were almost never more than 11 sec apart the entire time. I would rather see more discussion about the racing than one incident that can't be changed.

Doug
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #509
Tech Addict

Video is now posted.

If you use IE to view it, there should be no problem.

If you use Firefox, you might need to change some settings so the browser understands "wmv" files.

Bob's timing seems correct, now that I'm seeing and hearing it properly.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #510
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

You are right Doug, it is a shame. I was fun watching Lemieux qualify so well, it was fun watching the Masters mix it up for 45 minutes and proving that they might have grey hair, but they can still get around at a good pace and maybe teach us younger guys something about the cars. It was a great chance for a guy like me, this being my 5th 8th scale race, to ask some questions, watch the pros wrench and observe the routines they have, watch drivers test lines, and just a good chance to meet new people and BS with them. I had an absolute horrible time at the track this weekend, and all of it is my fault, my hotel had a CSI unit at it when we pulled up thursday night, I only got to run 2 corners in my qualifying main and I spent a ton of money chasing gremlins....but id do it all again. This was one of the best races ive ever been to. I really hope that im able to make it to next year's race.

Nate