Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Recommend me a pipe for a .12 engine with a "low" redline >

Recommend me a pipe for a .12 engine with a "low" redline

Recommend me a pipe for a .12 engine with a "low" redline

Old 06-20-2018, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Recommend me a pipe for a .12 engine with a "low" redline

I'm pretty cheap about my exhaust systems in general. I usually run stock pipes with the inner cones removed, because that seems to give a wider torque band for everyday bashing, even if the peak horsepower is reduced. The one exception is my RS4 3 SS, which has a HPI 12R SS engine and a Novarossi 50608 "EFRA-2601" pipe. The pipe sounds good when the engine is near redline, but I think it was optimized for a higher rev range than the 12R SS can achieve, because the engine doesn't "get on the pipe" until very close to the car's top speed. That means most of the time the pipe isn't helping the engine much.

Can someone recommend a pipe suitable for a .12 engine that has a "redline" around 31000rpm, to improve the torque output in the 20000-25000rpm range? I realize that probably counts as "low rpm" for on-road vehicles, but that's fine, I don't care about labels. Bonus points if I don't have to cut anything off or drill anything out to make it fit. I know THS Racing has a pipe and header combo made specifically for the RS4 3, but I think it's intended for use with the 50% larger .18 engine.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:04 AM
Tech Champion

Nothing?
Old 07-03-2018, 03:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

The way the rules are setup makes it difficult to make different pipes (per say), so the final tuning is done with different length manifolds instead.
You could calculate an estimated pipe for your engine and see if something is close enough.
But I would probably just get in touch with the company you mentioned and see if they have tried that pipe with the smaller engine, it might work just fine.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Duh. Right. I forgot about the length of the header.