Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Is Xiangtat S30 SH-21 Nitro engine of good quality? >

Is Xiangtat S30 SH-21 Nitro engine of good quality?

Is Xiangtat S30 SH-21 Nitro engine of good quality?

Old 06-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Is Xiangtat S30 SH-21 Nitro engine of good quality?

Hi everyone,

I need advice from you guys on purchasing my first engine as I'm a noob in nitro engines. Going to make my first build in a few months. So, briefly about my situation. I'm living in Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately there aren't any local retailers that sell these so I have to resort to online purchase, which is usually Amazon.com. And even then there are only a few sellers that ship to here.

I want to be familiarized with nitros before I go for more expensive ones so I have these two ones in my list which ships to my location:

1. Xiangtat S30 SH-21 E3.48cc engine, costs like $98 with all the import fees and charges in total.

2.Traxxas 5207R TRX 2.5R, costs like $128 in total

The first seems to be cheaper but since its Chinese I don't know if its good brand to go with and googling didn't come with much. Anyone has any experience with those Sh engines? The Traxxas seems to be definitely a good one. These are shipped from the US in like 21-35 days amazon says. So, I want be sure before I order it.

Also are nitro plugs of the same size for all Nitro engines?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

The SH is a "bigblock" the traxxas a "Smallblock"

For what car?
Old 06-20-2018, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Don't be nationalist. Most nitro engines are made in China nowadays. What matters is how much quality control the reselling company paid the factory for.

Those two engines have different mounting requirements. As Roelof said, the SH engine is designed for a "big block" engine mount and the Traxxas engine is designed for a "small block" engine mount. So unless your vehicle is compatible with both sizes of engine mounts, you will only be able to install one of those engines in your vehicle.

Nitro glowplugs are all the same size, but they come in two types, normal and "turbo". "Turbo" glowplugs have a cone-shaped tip that compresses into the cylinder head to form a tight seal, whereas normal glowplugs have a copper washer that forms the tight seal. The two types of glowplugs are not interchangeable without replacing the cylinder head.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:30 AM
Tech Rookie

I know this is a very late reply. But I eventually purchased a Traxxas Pro .15 1/10 engine. it's a nice engine for a beginner like me. I did have a hard time getting it to start. Got a sore index finger with the pull start. Eventually moved to an electric start ��. Also got a used HPI 15fe from a friend for free. I might need to clean it up and check for compression though. It was not used for quite a long time.