R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-12-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Sirio Evo 3 vs top engines out there

Hi All,

I am currently at the crossroads for an engine for my MTX4. Assuming I am used to the power of JP Engines (I can drive them), The following are the candidates that I can choose from locally:

Novarossi LL5 Tuned
Rody Modified 5 Port
Sirio Evo 3 5 Port

With the right gearing for a medium sized track with high traction, what could be the best heart for my Mugen?

I'm specially interested in the Sirio because of its pricing. Would it lose a lot to these other top dollar engines?

Any input would be much appreciated.
Hammer0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Kyosho3PKRacer Send a message via MSN to Kyosho3PKRacer

I run the sirio evo3 3 port and it is ballistic and it is beating alot of the 5 port motors out there already so the sirio would probably be the way to go and the fact that they are so cheap but still enough power to keep up with all these hugely overpriced engines is just iceing on the cake.

Whenever i go racing i notice that when all the top drivers come into pits their engines are running extremely lean and you can hear them running on then when i bring in my sirio its still running nice and idle is consistant but still beats the others down the straight even though they are leaned to buggery.

Also you can get the engine modified for around $70-80 which is going to make it even more insanely quick which you probably wouldn't need but still thats there on the table.

You still got to be able to get around the track though so the sirio won't do much for you if you can't stick to the track but everyone knows that.
Kyosho3PKRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Jye
Tech Regular

seeing as it is a top engine, it wouldnt lose to the others. good choice. i plan on buying one myself.
Jye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

Sirio Evo 3 hands down. I have just brought a 2nd one as a spare. Nearly our whole pro tourer field is Sirio Evo 3's cause they were sick of me passing them even on our short straight.

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Isn't there a new evo 3?
ChApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:27 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Kyosho3PKRacer Send a message via MSN to Kyosho3PKRacer

There are updated ones with the fixed crank that are out now, me and a couple of people run one and it seems fine and actually it feels like theres a bit more power with the updated crank aswell so thats good.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosho3PKRacer
There are updated ones with the fixed crank that are out now, me and a couple of people run one and it seems fine and actually it feels like theres a bit more power with the updated crank aswell so thats good.
lol i am one of those people and with a good tune and right gearing these engines are quite potent!!!
ae_ntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:32 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

The Sirio Evo 3 will account for both those engines easily. I have run all of these engines in 3 port trim and the Sirio wins hands down. Im running an Evo 3 with the new update crank and this engine makes me laugh every time i pull the trigger! It's "barristic" . I even think a 3 port EVO 3 will beat the other 2, even if they were 5 ports.

p.s. I hated the LL engine.
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

I just love this forum. So many people with so many experiences to share. Based on what everyone's been saying I've ordered my Evo 3. Thank you all.

I love being a little faster than average down the straight, and I can drive these kinds of cars well enough. I love the thrill of outsquirting people down the stretch...now I'm hoping the turning speed of the MTX4 combined with this engine can help me bring home a trophy or two.

hahahaha..."Barrristic!" That's a good one Rody!

Folks, I was just wondering how can i tell if the one I'm purchasing is the newer Evo 3? Can it easily be spotted?

The "LL5 Tuned" is quite popular here. I've seen a few local pros run it, while it is fast I've seen a Rody catch up with it during the last 1/4 of the straight and overtake it by the time the long sweeper from the straight ends. This happened repeatedly over several laps, with both drivers being one of the best we have locally.

Both are expensive engines, but the way the Rody embarassed the LL5 Tuned, I think the Tuned isn't worth it.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Well if it breaks after the first race day you know you got the wrong one but really i think by now shops everywhere that have sirio should of had them replaced with the new ones but just ask whoever your buying it off and they should know.

Or open up the engine and take a look at the crank there should be more meat on it if you can find a pic of the old sirio crank you probably can tell the difference.

I had one of mine snap so i'll take a pic and post it here for you to see.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

oh my oh my..... hungry for this babe

will get her once i had save enough money
Old 02-14-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosho3PKRacer
Well if it breaks after the first race day you know you got the wrong one

Since the motor just came from the factory, I'm sure now its the new one. It would be fun to test this side by side with the fastest engines that cost almost 2x the Evo 3.

anybody have durability issues with the new Evo 3's?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Rody, what's wrong with the LL engine in your experience?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #14
Tech Adept

My evo 3 has not skipped a beat, never leans itself out, i don't think i have ever had it cut out on me at all while driving.
Idle is always consistant, real easy to tune aswell. I remember when some of the first sirios came out i got a evo 2 wcr and that was impossible to tune but when it was running it was still a missile.

I went in a hour race with my evo 3 around october last year and that ran non stop without stopping, but then last month it finally carked it.
Even though it didn't have the update crank it still lasted ages, atleast 6 months of racing so if thats anything to go by the new ones with update crank should be pretty good.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:50 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

holy cow. cheap. "barristic" and reliable. It has the history too with all those major trophy hauls in the last 3 years.

Why isn't this engine more popular?