R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-27-2002, 10:33 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to Cloro
Angry 3 Or 5 ports Engine?

Which is the diference between a 5 ports Engine and a 3 ports engine?

I want to buy one!!! the two options i have, are one TOP engine with 3 ports, and One Nova Mega 5 ports Engine!! please help me with this chose!!!!!
Cloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 11:29 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Default Re: 3 Or 5 ports Engine?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloro
Which is the diference between a 5 ports Engine and a 3 ports engine?

I want to buy one!!! the two options i have, are one TOP engine with 3 ports, and One Nova Mega 5 ports Engine!! please help me with this chose!!!!!

hi there...is suggest u buy with 3 port engine..coz from what i'm having rite now is 3 port engine..very powerful engine..coz if u installed with 5 port...engine..can you handle it?..sometimesif u misshandling u will 'bang' ur car...so Y u need so much power 4 ur car...(my opinion) in race also....i really trying to avoid overdrive ..means try to make zero mistake..ok think..
sonep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 01:18 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Aeon Racer

The main thing between them is ROAR legal vs illegal. I think most, if not all 3 port engines are ROAR legal. A 5 port is generally labeled as "turbo" because it has ballistic power. I would recommend you get the 3 port engine, you'll get better fuel mileage and you should have enough power to stay in the fight as long as you can drive the car....
Aeon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 01:43 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Don't be fooled into thinking that a five-port will automatically trounce a three port, because this is fundamentally not true. In theory, a five-port will rev higher and easier and thus produce more power at high revs. It, again in theory, should be more peaky as a result.
Both my team and myself have experimented with three and five port novarossi-based engines, and the latter do produce more power...but only just. A properly tuned three-port turbo isn't that far behind the five-port varient when it comes to ultimate top speed. In certain situations (such as a very tight track) a three-port could actually be the quicker option.
Five-ports do produce more power, but not on the scale of "If i replace my three-port with a five-port, will i be able to handle it?!"
JJR Racing is offline   Reply With Quote